AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying an AK for years. So long, that I even forgot I already posted in this forum! A few years ago (I assume before RAS47 problems started going full-public), I was looking in my local gun shop and they had an AK on the shelf. I asked to see it. Century Arms RAS47. I knew about the brand but nothing about the model. I asked the employee and she let me know, "it stands for Red Army Standard. It's a fully American-built AK." I don't know much about AK's so I started looking at things that I KNEW to look for. Canted front sight? Nope. Straight as an arrow. Crushed receiver from over-installing the rivets? Nope! All rivets were perfectly installed. Mis-matched furniture? Nope. All the wood was perfectly finished and looked beautiful. And, I just love the look of a 45 degree gas block. (One of the reasons I never really liked the Arsenal) I said, "let me run outside and call the Wife." The employee laughed. I actually went outside and jumped on my smartphone and started looking at RAS47 reviews. There wasn't much on YouTube at the time, but the little I did find were all people saying how much they loved their RAS47. The only negative was AK operators union. I said to myself, "as long as I don't use my rifle for doing pushups or run it over with my pickup, I should be okay." I owned the rifle for about a year before I actually had the time to take it to the range! The RSO asked what model is was, I said, "RAS47." He then said, "get yourself a set of go, no-go gauges. They have problems once they hit the 5,000round mark." I didn't want to look ignorant so I just said, "okay, Thanks." After about an hour, I swallowed my pride and asked the the RSO exactly what he meant.
Now, one of the reasons I love the AK rifle is because how simplistic and bulletproof the design is. From the ice and snow in Russia to the sand and heat of Afghanistan. The gun always shoots. Never in a million years did I think metallurgy would be an issue! ESPECIALLY WITH AN AMERICAN-MADE AK!!!!
I would expect problems like that from a third-world country where they make things out of pot metal or recycled soup cans.

So, there's the.problem. I have a gun I love everything about and in the back of my mind, I think of it as a ticking time bomb.

My question is, is it possible to fix the shortcomings of a RAS47 without spending more than the rifle is worth?
True, I don't shoot it much. I still would like it to be as reliable as other AK's out there!

·
Banned
565 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for a basic AKM pattern rifle that will function properly and not eventually explode on you. Just sell the RAS to an unsuspecting buyer and buy a WASR-10.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What problems do you have with it?
If it works fine, keep it until it doesn't. Not worth, at that point in time, to rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Part of the ownership of an ak is knowing it wont let you down. If youre not confident in it than get rid of it. Not worth the mental anguish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
School of hard knocks..:punch:..we all been there. Sell it, accept the dollars lost...trade for something you can live with. Lesson learned....if your like the rest of us....you will make another mistake.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Don't feel bad I once bought a Sig AR pattern rifle and when that miserable piece of junk wouldn't shoot straight because the barrel was so canted you couldn't zero it, they sent me one of their 7.62 x 39 rifles that had a soft receiver, so soft you couldn't use metal 7.62 x 39 magazines.
We all learn at this, learning is expensive.

·
Banned
229 Posts
Not a century but worse my GF bought me an I.O ak for xmas 2 years ago... she didnt know any better ..... well 300ish rounds it crapped out double feeding and failure to eject and other little problems gas tube to short , rivets , etc.... long story short after 8 months of FIGHTING back and forth my rifle was "fixed" they changed basically everything but the barrel and reciver got it back first mag same exact problems.... so set it to MDC and ended up being a mag catch way out of spec and it's over gassed as fuck... not worth re barreling so they threw in a ALG recoil spring and it runs like a raped ape now but honestly dont know how many rounds it will last... I'm just running it till it blows lol

Sorry to go in left field but that's my American made AK experience never agian will I buy american and I dam sure wouldnt take a PSA even if it was free just because of there shitty buisness tactics

·
Super Moderator
25,961 Posts
Sell it while its in good condition, and you use the money to buy something of quality.

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sell it while its in good condition, and you use the money to buy something of quality.
What is (visually) identical to the RAS47 but not an Arsenal? I was a fan of the N-pap/O-pap when they first came out but have since decided against them.

·
Banned
565 Posts
What is (visually) identical to the RAS47 but not an Arsenal? I was a fan of the N-pap/O-pap when they first came out but have since decided against them.
WASR-10, bro. If you can live without receiver dimples, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Foreign barrel and receiver built in a legit overseas arsenal.

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
Not a century but worse my GF bought me an I.O ak for xmas 2 years ago... she didnt know any better ..... well 300ish rounds it crapped out double feeding and failure to eject and other little problems gas tube to short , rivets , etc.... long story short after 8 months of FIGHTING back and forth my rifle was "fixed" they changed basically everything but the barrel and reciver got it back first mag same exact problems.... so set it to MDC and ended up being a mag catch way out of spec and it's over gassed as fuck... not worth re barreling so they threw in a ALG recoil spring and it runs like a raped ape now but honestly dont know how many rounds it will last... I'm just running it till it blows lol

Sorry to go in left field but that's my American made AK experience never agian will I buy american and I dam sure wouldnt take a PSA even if it was free just because of there shitty buisness tactics

My first AK was an IO back when I had no clue. I lucked out and got what was basically an RH10 before those existed. It's an STG2000c, which is essentially a WASR with a 90 degree block and weird proprietary furniture.

·
Super Moderator
25,961 Posts
Have a look around in the WTS section here, and also put an ad in the WTB section. Something will turn up, although it may take some time. Be patient, and get yourself a winner.
As has been mention, WASR 10 is also an option.

·
Registered
22,036 Posts
I don't suppose you still have your receipt, do you? You might also be able to shoot it until it breaks and return it for a refund. If they insist on a replacement, you could keep shooting and breaking them until they give you a full refund.

·
Registered
71 Posts

by PSA do you mean Palmetto State Armory? if so i agree. i was looking for one of the RIA VR80 semi-auto shotguns and they had one, same UPC number as all the other places BUT they were selling their's without the extra choke tubes and kit that comes with it. lucky for me i caught it before they shipped it and got my money back without any restock cost. got lucky and the next morning Tombstone Tactical had one and ordered it when they weren't open and called them after they opened asked if theirs came with extra CT's and key to R and R them. they said yes so all was well. didn't waste time on asking why PSA was selling their's the way they were just said no buying from them anymore. luckily i looked at the fine print or i'd have not caught it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one of the RAS 47's and I've shot plenty of rounds through it, everybody bashes them but mine shoot great. I've never had an issue with it at all. Now I own better AK rifles but the little RAS 47 keeps right up with them no problem. Keep it for a range gun and be happy.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have one of the RAS 47's and I've shot plenty of rounds through it, everybody bashes them but mine shoot great. I've never had an issue with it at all. Now I own better AK rifles but the little RAS 47 keeps right up with them no problem. Keep it for a range gun and be happy.
Define "plenty"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts