AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never seen a $1500 Romy G before, have you?

Today I looked at an ad in my local paper for an AK that he wanted $1500. So out of curiosity I called the number and asked him what it was. Expecting to hear about a Poly Tech Norinco still sealed in a box or a tactifooled Arsenal or something, he said all he knew that is was made in the US. Well today I went over to his house and he opened up the standard Walmart plastic rifle case and here was the first $1500 Romy G I'd ever seen. :p

I gave him a history lesson on these Romy's and asked him when he bought it. "Well, I bought this last February after hearing that Obama was going to take our guns". The seller is a really nice old man, 80 years old, Vietnam Vet (Navy SeeBee) and his wife, who was a naval corpsman and lifetime NRA members. In a gentle yet blunt way, I told him that in no way was he going to get $1500 for it and he'd be better off hanging onto it till maybe the next gun grab scare. He then offered it to me for $1200, then $950, No can do. I counter offered with a Glock + $100 cash from me or a late '80's Sig P220 straight across for it. He told me that some other fellow is waiting for his income check to arrive and will buy it for $1200. Oh well, better him than me at this point. He did let me field strip it and I did confirm at least it's a numbers matching.

This Romy G is a 1980 on a Nodak receiver and in very good shape and functioned very well with a nice break on the trigger. Nice but not that nice. Soooo......if anybody's interested shoot me a PM and I'll put you in contact with him! ;)

Here's some pics of it.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Seen plenty of $1500 romy rifles. Mostly WASRs during this last ban scare. Sound like a typical story of a uninformed, uneducated individual that overpayed and is now trying to get what he payed back out of it.

Another sad story of a fool and his money is soon parted....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
interesting butt stock numbers, and the stripe seems a little wide

if ya have time and patience to mess with people,,try to explane what "made in the USA" means in those type guns

I'm curious what he paid

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting butt stock numbers, and the stripe seems a little wide

if ya have time and patience to mess with people,,try to explane what "made in the USA" means in those type guns

I'm curious what he paid
He paid $1500, wanted to try and get his money back.

·
Registered
22,629 Posts
Someone hand him a towel... he got soaked.

Yeah waiting until the next one is about the best advice.. but then again folks who got stretched too thin are getting ground up with increased costs of damn near everything...

oh well... if the dude with 1200 shows up and comes through.. seller found his sucker of the minute.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
...and no scope rail.

·
1,092 Posts
Interesting numbers on the side of the dust cover? did they match?

·
1,092 Posts
I have bought and sold at least 50-75 Romy G kits and never seen one with the dust cover marked on the side...

Maybe that's why it is rare and maybe it is worth $1500!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have bought and sold at least 50-75 Romy G kits and never seen one with the dust cover marked on the side...

Maybe that's why it is rare and maybe it is worth $1500!!!!
Now that you mention that justin, the usual place on the rear of the dust cover, all of the digits were "x" out with some heavy pressings into the steel, factory mistake and or correction??? I thought that was very odd and have never seen that before. Seems strange to try and create a "matched dust cover" just for the sake of it.
Damn...Should've got a pic of that one. :(

·
1,092 Posts
Now that you mention that justin, the usual place on the rear of the dust cover, all of the digits were "x" out with some heavy pressings into the steel, factory mistake and or correction??? I thought that was very odd and have never seen that before. Seems strange to try and create a "matched dust cover" just for the sake of it.
Damn...Should've got a pic of that one. :(
Sounds like it was force matched

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after over a month I got a call this morning and the owner of this $1500 1980 matching Romy G and he was willing to deal.
I traded him a older Sig P220 mid-late '80's make, straight across.

·
Registered
22,629 Posts
Well, after over a month I got a call this morning and the owner of this $1500 1980 matching Romy G and he was willing to deal.
Sounds fair.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
What did you do that for??? I'd gladly given you $1500. for it

;-)

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
There's another romanian rifle on here that has the same kind of dust cover. Xed out numbers on the back and restamped in the same location as yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts