AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night was performing a more thorough cleaning of my arsenal ak 74 and noticed the patch seemed to riding a little rough towards the chamber of the barrel. upon carefull inspect with a bore light I found the barrel to be badly worn and chipped right where the rifling starts on the chamber end. this is somewhat surprising since this gun has only seen about 7000 rounds give or take a few hundred. im not terribly shocked due to the speed at which some of those rounds were fired at though. interestingly the accuracy at 50 yards hasn't really suffered, you don't notice a problem till you try to reach out to 100 yards and getting 8 inch groups at best. this gun wasn't ever a tack driver at 100 but I seem to remember it doing better then that. im not really sure when the damage started or what exactly caused it but it appears its time for a new barrel.

so my questions are: where can I find good quality chrome lined ak 74 barrels? also, who can I pay to install the barrel for me?

the gun was around $1000 so I would rather have it fixed then simply replaced.

thanks
-matt

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
When I take the muzzlebrake off my Arsenal SGL20 for cleaning, the crown is coated with carbon solids that look as though it is the metal of the crown itself when almost clean, I have to carefully scrape the crown to remove the last little bit, this carbon resists any other cleaning method or solvent. Could it be that you are not down to bare metal because it will look clean but its not (at least for me in my experience) .. Can you show a picture ?

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
I have had this happen twice. Cleaning with a bore brush and #9 will remove carbon build up. Accuracy is related to muzzle wear and not to chamber wear. Sme of my mil surps came with
heavy carbon and the brush and solvent cleaned them right up. Just make sure the solvent won't harm the finish on your rifle.

Edit: That's a decent price from K-VAR. Grab one while you can if replacement is a certaintity.

Barrel, 5.45x39mm, 16-inch...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
WOW, did I mis-read the original post, when you said rifling and accuracy loss I automaticaly thought muzzle end of barrel, even though it said CHAMBER..Traxx is correct about the chamber area has little effect on accuracy, AK chambers are a little oversize anyway. You might want to inspect the crown as that is a critical area for accuracy. (that would make my above post be more relevant)

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Get ahold of LRRP-87 (Iron Curtain Creations). His work is some of the nicest I've seen.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
normally a little wear at the chamber end wouldnt bother me. but this isnt just a little, it looks like 1/16" long chunks of the lands have been gouged out leaving sharp edges in the barrel. it tugs at the patch as it passes threw so i assume its doing nothing good to the bullet. there isnt anything wrong with the muzzle, i keep it clean with a copper scrubbing pad. the gun still groups fine at close range. it just suffers bad at 100 yards.

-matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts