AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the old timers at the town hall (gas station) gave me a Colt 1903, Im heading over tomorrow to pick it up!

Its all in pieces, but he assures me all it needs is a barrel and a firing pin.

According to him, it was made into a "toy" in the 50's by plugging the barrel and silver-soldering the plug in place and removing the firing pin. im so stoked to get this thing, it'll keep me busy this winter.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ah, that's cool :mrgreen:

Sounds like kids in the 50's had some pretty nice toy guns.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That is wild that you are getting it for free, but yet, I still feel sad that they felt the need to neuter a gun like that. I guess a gun like that in the 50's was not worth much at all though.

I hope you can make it roar once again.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
arashi said:
I might have a crappy condition barrel for that I'll give you.

Better than a plugged one...
10-4, I'd appreciate that. Im either going to bring it back to spec, or make a kickass carry piece out of it if its too beat up, im thinking about the meanest shade of flat black with some custom grips and maybe a trijicon front sight.

Sure, its a 32, but its a project :grin:

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
If you decide to make it a CCW piece because its been beat on, take a look at this guy: http://www.shootiniron.com/
Mac did my Franken Mak that I built several years ago, and the work was outstanding!

While I love my tritium sights on my Mak, its harder for me to use it as a "pocket pistol" because of the increased snag factor.
Looks like you found a cool project at the right price!

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I love that little pistol, I have a few of them myself and pick them up when I come across one on the cheap. Sounds like a good candidate for a carry piece, bomar made custom barrels for them, but only made two of them lol :neutral: it's worth the shot contacting them for a custom replacement. I think it was bomar :confused: Anyways They just ran an article in shotgun news about customizing this pistol and he turned it into a sweet carry piece alas its still a .32 acp and I wouldn't rely on that caliber for anything other than target. If you want I can clip the article and send it to you. McM

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ermac said:
Looks a bit like a TT-33.
The TT-33 is a Browning pattern/copy :Smile:

JoeMomma said:
If you decide to make it a CCW piece because its been beat on, take a look at this guy: http://www.shootiniron.com/
Mac did my Franken Mak that I built several years ago, and the work was outstanding!
While I love my tritium sights on my Mak, its harder for me to use it as a "pocket pistol" because of the increased snag factor.
Looks like you found a cool project at the right price!
Good point on the snag, maybe I'll have the front blade gold plated. The guy who is giving it to me was a pretty big bullseye 1911 shooter in the NE back when, and is always coming up with crazy Ideas...he suggested I shorten it to something between a Baby 25 ad a 1903 :tokeit:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Very cool!

Never forget......this guy took down a Ju-88 with his!! :twisted:

These are definitely beautifully built and designed pistols, a relic from a time when people really cared about what they put together.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Note to self...go troll the local Nursing Homes and see what I can dredge up.....

Realy though, great score and much of our history and some of our greatest people lie withing the "older" generation.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MotorcityMan said:
If you want I can clip the article and send it to you. McM
What Issue was it, the outlaws give me a subscription for christmas every year.

brownstorm said:
Note to self...go troll the local Nursing Homes and see what I can dredge up.....
Realy though, great score and much of our history and some of our greatest people lie withing the "older" generation
10-4, one of my favorite parts of my job is hanging out with these old codgers, I learn something every day, and they are hilarious to boot.

There is about 15 regulars; 1 silver star and 6 purple hearts between them :hail:

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I just looked again and it was a 1908 model colt not 1903, basically there the same but the 1908 is chambered in .380. Still a great article to read through as many of the upgrades to the 1908 could be done to the 1903. IIRC it was the 8/18/08 SN.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
nice score! they are slick pistols. I took the one I had completely apart once(and put it back together with the help of a professional gunsmith and a extra hand)! I have some schematics saved that are pretty handy if you want them. for some reason the movie harlem nights gave me the itch to buy one!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Colt pocket rocket

Nice pistol. .380 barrels can be tough to find. You can use a .32 barrel and mags and vice versa. Examine original mags carefully,the older ones often crack at the top back. The feed lips are part of the reciever.Feodor Tokarev did copy the Colt/Browning for the Tokarev. The Czar purchased many Browning 1903 in 9mmLong prior to WW1. One of the royal family murderers used one............
Ivan used a 1903 in .32 as a backup piece for many years.Nice ,flat gun,especially if you thin the grips a bit.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She is rough, but she'll be back to life shortly.

s/n puts her as late 1905 (33XXX)

Im thinking about factory lettering this for for shits n giggles

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Slinger646 said:
I think you should glass bead it and hook up with sidecarnutz and hot blue that sucker.

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
If you decide to farm out the job, give Macs a try...he does good work.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
m0ondoggy said:
Slinger646 said:
I think you should glass bead it and hook up with sidecarnutz and hot blue that sucker.
Im stuck, Should go )
1 - Hot Blue with wood grips,
2 - Jet black wih white/ivory/pearl grips
3 - Leave it as is, minus the rust with the hard rubber grips for that been through hell look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts