AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...did you ever think you could put together a decent quality AR for the price of a WASR? Please don't make this" a one is better than the other thread". I own both and enjoy both, just for different reason's. I remember when WASR's for 329.00. I don't remember what a 6920 was going for, but I figure it was about 1400.00. Discuss.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
...did you ever think you could put together a decent quality AR for the price of a WASR? Please don't make this" a one is better than the other thread". I own both and enjoy both, just for different reason's. I remember when WASR's for 329.00. I don't remember what a 6920 was going for, but I figure it was about 1400.00. Discuss.
There's some good info in the AR section, but short answer...absolutely. Colt 6920's are going for $900-$1200 new right now depending on if you can jump in on a deal. If you're dead set on a Colt...get a 6720. It's a 6920 but with the "pencil" profile barrel. Unless you plan on buying a M203 the M4 profile cut barrel is pointless, and you'll appreciate the lightweight barrel. Clydes Armory has them for $1079 on sale right now in stock. If you want to "assemble"...or build your AR... Check out Palmetto State Armory. They have complete M4 uppers (includes charging handle and bolt carrier group) for $359 on sale right now. You can pick up a stripped lower for $50-60 and a lower parts kit for another $70. After shipping, FFL transfer on the lower, and all the parts, you'll be into it about $500-$550 (even after picking up a few quality mags). That's about what WASR's are going for these days. You'll end up knowing how to assemble an AR lower and will have a quality AR with a good MPI Bolt, quality FN made barrel (FN makes barrels for PSA)...etc. Toss on a decent optic (or just stick with irons) and you're set.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CMS, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post all that. I bought a MAK90 in about '93. Bought my first AR, a Colt MT6551 in about '95. I've bought numerous AK's since and a 6920 a few month's ago. Couldn't be happier with it. I'd like to build a CAR15 with a pencil barrel, but it seem's like no body make's A1 upper's anymore. I've been eyeing the PSA deal's as well. Between AR's and AK's,they can put you in the poor house. Don't even get me started on FAL's, LOL.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I got a Palmetto lower kit and thought the parts looked cast with an unusual finish. They don't match the PSA lower at all but appear to work ok.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I bought my first AR a couple months ago, a 6920. AKs are just too expensive now or too hard to find the good quality ones.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StuG, how do you like your Colt? Did it come with a Roger's or M4 stock? Like your username by the way. Seem's there are several of us fan's of WW2 German armor here.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've not shot it yet. Too lazy to buy non-steel core ammo. But it has the magpul furniture. Fit and finish are reallllly nice though. Glad I bought it as it's a real colt and not some piece meal kit, so I'm sure it will hold its value. Bought a green dot ACOG and an aac suppressor for it. (Waiting on my m4-2000 suppressor to come in.)

Yep, love playing world of tanks. Really fun tank game.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I have gotten out of building AK's for a couple months now. Prices just don't seem to be coming down as fast as AR's prices are. When places like PSA are selling complete uppers with BCG and charging handle for $300, it's hard to pass up. Even BCGs shipped for $80 is hard to turn down.

Ill get back into AK's but at the current prices, not right now.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn StuG you're a baller with an ACOG and a can. I will say I am very impressed with my rifle's fit/finish. The trigger is very,very good for a GI. as well.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
LGS told me manufactures of black rifles are offering rebates to move inventory. Anticipates prices to drop further due to lack of demand and excessive inventories.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
LGS told me manufactures of black rifles are offering rebates to move inventory. Anticipates prices to drop further due to lack of demand and excessive inventories.
Wish there were more non 5.56 barrels on the market.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 189.00 upper's were/are the budget PTAC line. Non-chrome bore and I believe 4140 barrel steel. This may or not be important to you. PSA has such a vast variety of product's, you have to read the spec's very closely to make sure you get exactly what you want.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Typical of overstock. The manufactures are finally catching up from the ban scare and the demand isn't there anymore. Compound that with the holiday season and suppliers have to drop prices to move product like you stated. I'm really wondering what prices will be after the holidays. A lot of good deals going around and a lot of people can't afford christmas AND their hobby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts