AK Rifles banner

I know how to get a legal working RPG!

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Q-gunner2 
#1 ·
I recall seeing a practice 7.62x39mm insert for a RPG weapon in Shotgun News...

Lets assume we have a totally demilled RPG. Then we put the 7.62x39mm practice kit in it permenantly. THEN, we attach a Yugo style spigot to the barrel!

Someone could make RPG-lookalike rockets that are inert and set them for 22mm, then you could have a RPG that looks exactly like the real thing and even launches rockets! With real grenade launching blanks, you should get a 300-400 M range on it... and the kit for the RPG is bolt action so no worries about gas tubes! As far as the ATF would be concerened, it is a wierd looking bolt action hunting rifle.

An American company could make the inserts and pair them up with demilled RPG weapons...

What say you?

ETA: to get realistic range, we could make one model with a .50 BMG insert kit... with a .50 BMG blank you should get a HUGE range!

#3 ·
I can't see what is illegal about it.

It isn't a grenade launcher, the firing pin and chamber are 7.62x39mm (or whatever caliber you choose).

It is a bolt action, so no semi/full auto BS, and it's single shot so no magazine buisness.

It would have a barrel over 16" concealed inside the tube.

We could even make a fake RPG in America that doesn't work, and then make it work with a kit inside of it.

#5 ·
We present it to the ATF the same way we did the SKSs.

A simple sporting rifle that complies with all laws that happens to have a 22mm launcher on it.

Then we sell the dummy rockets... like 3 per pack.

#7 ·
I've read about them, but I don't know where to get one... it does not even have to be a de-milled RPG though, we could build an RPG lookalike around a bolt action... looks the same, same markings, same scope mount... I honestly think its possible.

#9 ·
AKLover_91 said:
wait, couldn't you get a real RPG if you payed the $200 DD tax?
Real RPG, yes.

But then you would need the liscenses/permits for the rockets.

Plus, it would be cheaper just to make one as above, and there would be a higher quantity.

#10 ·
Most if not all RPG7 launchers that are out there have the firing pin welded shut with a rod welded in its place. The removal of that bar would be illegal. You can't register it as a rifle because the bore is bigger than .50 and would constitue as a Destrcutive Device. It's a great idea and i would buy one in a heartbeat for my RPG, I just dont think it would fly with the ATF. There are display mortars on the market and i looked in to buying a 60mm mortar to shoot dummy rounds out of it, you can modify a 12 guage blank to launch the rounds. Now alot of the complete 60mm mortars that are out there have to be registered as a rifle but the thing is, its illegal to remove the bars inside the tube and its also illegal to weld the hole shut thats cut on the side of the tube. The RPG7's also have a hole the same diameter of the bore (40mm) which is usually located under the heat shields. Then you have to find an Inert tube, good luck! Last ones i've seen have gone for 1300-1500 + not many are available. Here's a pic of mine, the rockets are RPG2 dummies i welded up. McM

#11 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
[quote="AKLover_91":vqggds35]wait, couldn't you get a real RPG if you payed the $200 DD tax?
Real RPG, yes.

Plus, it would be cheaper just to make one as above, and there would be a higher quantity.[/quote:vqggds35]But, I feel I shpuld pose the question, Don't you think it's be worth it to blow crap up with a rocket? I mean, as kids, how many of you wanted/still wanted a real Bazooka?

#12 ·
One other thing, PG-7 styled rockets will not fly without the folding fin assembly that attaches at the rear of the rocket, so whatever rocket that is made to be launched will have to have some sort of fins. I once saw an AT4 launcher that someone subcalibered with a potato launcher, the guy would soak potatoes in ink or dye and launch them, it was real cool and when the potatoes hit then would make a red impact and tear up anything they hit. thats an idea if you want some shoulder launched weapon you can play with. Theres also Airsoft RPG's out there but there more expensive then real inert launchers. McM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44134341

#13 ·
AKLover_91 said:
[quote="Q-gunner2":3cf7ns0o][quote="AKLover_91":3cf7ns0o]wait, couldn't you get a real RPG if you payed the $200 DD tax?
Real RPG, yes.

Plus, it would be cheaper just to make one as above, and there would be a higher quantity.[/quote:3cf7ns0o]But, I feel I shpuld pose the question, Don't you think it's be worth it to blow crap up with a rocket? I mean, as kids, how many of you wanted/still wanted a real Bazooka?[/quote:3cf7ns0o]

1. If we made fake RPGs that launched grenades, they would look 100% real and would function without needing permits or tax stamps.

2. In some states where DDs are not allowed, or where the permits for the explosives are impossible to get, these would be legal.

#14 ·
Here is a real RPG sub-cal.

It's basically a bolt action rifle that's shaped like a PG7M rocket propelled grenade. The transverse trigger is functioned by the firing pin on the RPG. If you shoot a tracer round, it is visually similar to firing a real rocket looking through the scope.

Of course, you have to have an RPG to shoot it from. If the cross pin on your de-mill is far enough back, and you leave the fake launch motor off of the sub-cal, you can still insert and fire even though the RPG is de-milled. The 40mm hole in the side of the tube has no effect when firing the sub cal.

Here's a pic:

When rifle grenades are launched, the trajectory is not flat (unlike an RPG, at least relatively so). If you base your system on a rifle grenade, to shoot it you would have to aim the RPG at a pretty high angle. It would not fly like an RPG.. it would fly like a rifle grenade. Plus, to get to go very far at all, you'd need some ass-kickin' blanks. There may be some recoil issues.

#15 ·
Motorcityman said:
Most if not all RPG7 launchers that are out there have the firing pin welded shut with a rod welded in its place. The removal of that bar would be illegal. You can't register it as a rifle because the bore is bigger than .50 and would constitue as a Destrcutive Device. It's a great idea and i would buy one in a heartbeat for my RPG, I just dont think it would fly with the ATF. There are display mortars on the market and i looked in to buying a 60mm mortar to shoot dummy rounds out of it, you can modify a 12 guage blank to launch the rounds. Now alot of the complete 60mm mortars that are out there have to be registered as a rifle but the thing is, its illegal to remove the bars inside the tube and its also illegal to weld the hole shut thats cut on the side of the tube. The RPG7's also have a hole the same diameter of the bore (40mm) which is usually located under the heat shields. Then you have to find an Inert tube, good luck! Last ones i've seen have gone for 1300-1500 + not many are available. Here's a pic of mine, the rockets are RPG2 dummies i welded up. McM

Man I nedd one of those!!! :gaga:

#21 ·
We have a Desert Storm bring back RPG on display at work. I wonder if it still functions every time I walk by it. :goof: The display also has a Tariq 7.65mm pistol next to it.

I think a letter of approval should be submitted to the ATF prior to starting any work.

#23 ·
Q-gunner2, that's freaking me out, because, during this weekends gunshow out of state, I proposed a less complicated, but identical concept. I had just picked up a bunck of blanks & was considering some other uses, beside launching off of my M70 clone.

I was thinking more of a PG2, simple grip & tubedesign.......

#24 ·
We should make one that takes .50 BMG blanks to make a realistic RPG trajectory... OK so it wont be as flat still but it will have a more realistic range...

The recoil will be reduced by the weight and balance of the gun, or by springs, or whatever we want. The size of the RPG gives us alot of room for a recoil system in a clone for .50 BMG or whatever blanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.