AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The barrel extentions on both of them have a horizontal indention (like a scrape or goudged line) on it . The bolt carrrier goes over it and the bolt goes below it. It does not seem to touch, hit or bind the bolt or carrier. Does anybody know what this is? Both have the finish still over it so I am thinking it is a factory thing? My other AK74 does not have it at all. Please help! :neutral:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Maybe it was scrapes from some fixtures-tooling-jigs used in the barrel pressing or riveting process??

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just talked to an expert on it. He said it happens alot with kit guns. He explained it to me, but I dont think I can re explain it. It has something to to with re pressing the barrel.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
huey_crew_chief said:
I just talked to an expert on it. He said it happens alot with kit guns. He explained it to me, but I dont think I can re explain it. It has something to to with re pressing the barrel.

Ahhh, OK.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I take it these are home-builds or built by some company from a kit?

A lot of times when the barrel is removed/replaced in the trunnion it "galls" in spots. Sometimes that just amounts to finish wear; other times it can be horrifying to look at.

Opinions vary as to whether there's anything to "worry" about as far as safety.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
It's galling from when the barrel is pressed out of the trunnion.

You can try to prevent it by running a reamer thru the barrel pin hole to remove any burrs that occcurred when pressing out the barrel pin...

I spoke to In Range, and if they get any galling they usually clean it up prior to pressing the barrel back into the trunnion.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Krinkfreak said:
It's galling from when the barrel is pressed out of the trunnion.

You can try to prevent it by running a reamer thru the barrel pin hole to remove any burrs that occcurred when pressing out the barrel pin...

I spoke to In Range, and if they get any galling they usually clean it up prior to pressing the barrel back into the trunnion.
'

So does this cause any function issues, other that not looking good? I would guess the collectors would look upon this as a depreciating issue. :neutral:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts