AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wide assortment of different types of long guns and pistols, black powder revolvers but last week I bought this NORINCO AK47 on gunbroker and the truth be told I don't know much about AK but I do know always wanted one of these, There was a milled Viet nam bring back also for sale on gunbroker but I just could not bring myself to spend that much money. Here is a link to the gunbroker ad http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357120890 I have been told that these guns are fairly rare and I was wondering what the potential for this type gun to increase in value. The check has already been sent and cashed and I thing I got it at a good price, I guess I should have asked this question before I bought the gun but I would welcome opinions both good and bad

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lopojo said:
very nice . edit- hand guards and pistol grip look wrong, this should hold its value .
I am not new to guns I have been shooting for over 50 years but I know next to nothing about AKs could you elaborate on the hand guards and pistol grip?

I am a member of the 1911 forum and someone mentioned that I may want to switch to a wood stock, I kind of like the under folder. I probable won't be able to take possesion of this gun for a few months, I heard the wait may be 6 to 8 months

·
Registered
552 Posts
Pistol grip and hand guards are russian and not chinese but not really a big deal. You could find chicom parts fairly easily if you wanted to change them. Appears to be a pre 86 conversion and IMHO a little high. I thought they were going for around 15k, but the way things are lately I could be wrong. Changing to a regular butt stock would not be feasible.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The furniture is Soviet. Decent looking but wrong for the historical "value" of the rifle. Myself I'd grab some real Chinese replacements and throw them on.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The wooden stock won't be feasible.

I'd also grab a Chinese bayonet and throw a muzzle nut on instead of a slant comp but that's me and my historical anal-retentiveness

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CatchMustang said:
Pistol grip and hand guards are russian and not chinese but not really a big deal. You could find chicom parts fairly easily if you wanted to change them. Appears to be a pre 86 conversion and IMHO a little high. I thought they were going for around 15k, but the way things are lately I could be wrong. Changing to a regular butt stock would not be feasible.
I did see one for 15K about a year ago but I do not know if it met the reserve or if it sold at all. the problem was a year ago I couldn't scrape up 15K.

There is / was also a milled Vietnam bring back that was kind of beat up going for $38,000 but although I wanted a milled receiver I quit bidding at $20,000

here is the link to the one listed at $38,000 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357504539

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, would have liked to had the bring back. It is pretty rare and has some pretty cool historical significance. unfortunately, I don't have that type of disposable income. :sad: The 15K price range seemed to be the going price for a transferable conversion a year or two ago, but today is a different day. The way I see it if you have the dough and pick up something you want, what does it matter. Enjoy it and shoot the hell out of it. :animak:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You pulled the "trigger" on a $24k gun you knew nothing about! I see you live dangerously :twisted: I like your style though! Really though, full auto anything is a pretty solid investment now days as I don't see them ever opening up the registry ever again so more than likely it will do nothing but go up in value. Even if you shoot the hell out of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heartbreakridge01 said:
You pulled the "trigger" on a $24k gun you knew nothing about! I see you live dangerously :twisted: I like your style though! Really though, full auto anything is a pretty solid investment now days as I don't see them ever opening up the registry ever again so more than likely it will do nothing but go up in value. Even if you shoot the hell out of it.
This will be my 4th NFA gun, I have a Colt Thompson, and Uzi and a M-16 made by Frankford arsenal (I couldn't afford a Colt M-16). I also recently picked up a new Colt Python (almost new made about 1968), and 1911 chambered in .357 magnum (Coonan)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Depending on who did the conversion, you may want to factor in some additional clean-up work. I know SWD would chop a portion of the rail instead of slotting it properly for the auto-sear, so if that's the case here, you may want to have that fixed. As others said, picking up a complete Chinese stock set would be relevant too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may be a long time before I see the gun I have heard the wait time is 6 months and I haven't filled out the forms gotten fingerprinted had a pictures taken and I am thinking about buying this one using a trust so it may take time to set that up

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
WOW!! Any chance you are looking to adopt? Im already potty trained!! :twirl:

Seriously though nice rifle. I saw your posts over on the 1911 forum but its too much of a pain in theass to post on there especially with all the "its commie its junk" and "its glock its junk" point of views that just clutter the responces. You should be able to find a set of correct handguards on Gunbroker.

Cant he use one of those inserts that some of the Dracos had, the ones with the underfolder cuts but wearing a wooden stock? Or is the receiver too narrow on the Norinco? Either way I would leave it as is.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Arik said:
Snip

Cant he use one of those inserts that some of the Dracos had, the ones with the underfolder cuts but wearing a wooden stock? Or is the receiver too narrow on the Norinco? Either way I would leave it as is.
The Chinese stamped underfolders have the receiver dimpled if you will to create the appropriate width internally. So even if you removed the trunnion and stock the internal dimensions are too narrow. Add to that Chinese underfolders are cut at a slant and not straight. A conversion to look correct would be difficult and costly, something I wouldn't even consider doing to a transferable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
grayparatrooper said:
so you spent 24k on a gun you dont know much about? I just find that funny.
Yeah, I would have wanted some detailed pics, importer, and who converted it. Whats done is done though. I have paid almost that much for a car I had never personally seen. Sometimes you get the bug. :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts