AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I figured out what is wrong with my WASR-10, but I need some advise on how to fix it.

Some of my magazines go in and work fine, but I have a very hard time getting them out. The release is very stiff and I sometimes have to use the back of another mag to get it to release. This only happens once I've fired a couple shots from a mag. Usually I can just put a mag in and then pull it righ back out with little trouble.

I also have some mags that the bolt actually hits the rear of the feed lips and it will sometimes not go into battery.

Well I think I found the issue. The area at the rear of the magwell, where the mag release is riveted on, looks to be slightly curved up (towards the inside of the receiver). I figured that this is causing the magazines to seat too high.

I guess I need to bang that back down so that it is flat. What do you guys recommend as a good method to do this?

I copied a picture from gunsnet to illustrate the area I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Can you put some black marker on that area and the magazine and insert re-insert to make sure that there is contact there?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not my picture. It was from a tutorial on a home build from gunco.

Anyway, I did take a file to the underside of the tab on a couple mags last night and they seem to work easier. I didn't want to take too much off due to the fact that they weren't loaded mags.

But I will take the file with me to the range the next time I go.

I looked at the area again last night, and although it is a bit bowed, I don't think that the latch is up any higher.

Thanks.

I did have another question from something I found last night, but I will start a new thread for that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i had a similar problem with a gun show special. the magwell was cut too long and the mag would slide back until the catch tab jammed into the release. i "solved" it by building up the area with jbweld. it's ugly, i won't lie, but works flawlessly and the jbweld seems to be very abrasion resistant.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've seen this exact problem with a WASR-10 before. The Monkeys at Century bend that part of the receivr up instead of filing down the top of the mag release, like they should have. :roll:

Find a hard rod, I used an old beat up breaker bar, place on that spot in the receiver, and pound it back level. Then, take a dremel or file and SLOWLY begin to remove material from the top of the mag catch lever. Check the fit of your magazines often.

Usually, you'll have a few mags that are harder to release than the others. Determine which of these is the most difficult to release and use it to do your fit-checks.

You should remove material from the mag catch until you can release your fit-check magazine without feeling any additional resistance, in the mag release lever, when pushing gently forward on the mag or pulling gently rearward on the mag.

One thing to watch out for when doing your fit-checks: sometimes if you apply force to either side of the mag, you can get it to bind. You'll want to be sure to only apply (gentle) force forwards and backwards when checking the fit of your magazines.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Putting a slight radius at the front 'lip' of the catch will also help make the mag release lever operate smoothly and without much effort. The radius helps ensure that it does so without having to remove too much material.

An interesting note: a WASR-3 I used to have had the mag catch ground down too far, resulting in bolt-over failures.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you pound that down you might find that the trigger guard sides might pinch the mag release.......I suspect that is why they did that in the first place......maybe the holes in the reciever and the matching holes in the trigger guard are not in correct alignment and caused the mag release to bind in the first place..........jake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts