AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hooray for my side. i need to get a more coarse stone and a smaller diameter too but it looks very promissing!

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am looking for a 3" or a little bigger wheel but cant find one. this was done with a 4.5" and it needs to be have more shape than that.
so 3" x 3/4" x 5/8" arbor would be perfect. maybe someone has a ground down or well used one at those dimesions??? :wink:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What do you recon 100mm (2.5/2.562) dia. wheel? Oops a post got in there.I've just been rolling various disc diameters on some EG and Russian stubs and the dish is rather steep (esp. Russian)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
2.5 or so is what I figured would be about right.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Long ago it used to be that a home machinist could only dream about owning a surface grinder. Then, so many businesses that owned them went belly up that you can find them now for cheap. (I've seen ones on craigslist with magnetic chucks for well south of $500!) Yes, it is sad that so much American manufacturing has gone away. But, the home machinist now is doing stuff that the home machinist long ago.....could only dream about! (Homemade CNC machines, garage shops with plasma cutters, MIG, TIG, Good Gawd!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ihave been a tool & die maker for 27 yrs. and have done my fair share of surface grinding. All i can tell you is you better make damn sure you know what you are doing when attempting to plunge grind into a piece of steel with a wheel of that width. Plunge grinding is not for the novice. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ihave been a tool & die maker for 27 yrs. and have done my fair share of surface grinding. All i can tell you is you better make damn sure you know what you are doing when attempting to plunge grind into a piece of steel with a wheel of that width. Plunge grinding is not for the novice. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That is a cool machine. I've never seen one of those. I now realize how it is that the factory makes the barrel slots for the lower handguard retainer. Previously, I thought they used a keyway cutter on a horizontal mill... But I was always unsure about that due to the rough finish on the majority of handguard retainer slots on factory barrels. Now that I see your machine, I think it's much more like that those slots are cut with a surface grinder, not a keyway cutter.

Very cool machine - Wish I would have had one of these when I cut the handguard retainer slots for my Saigas. Anyone doing alot of Saiga conversions should invest in one of these.

I'll keep my eyes open on Craiglist for one myself...

-Thirtycal

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toolmaker64 said:
tell me more, i had no trouble at all......

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
pretty cool machine! Didnt even know thats how they did it! Learn something new every day here :smile:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Handguard retainer slots and lightening cuts are milled in on dedicated machines for that particular operation. If they ground them, the wheels would break down too fast and have to be dressed often which would change the cut dimensionally.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey Turbo, how do you raise or lower the head on that thang ?

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it has a some hand cranks/wheels on the back to raise and lower. it has a lot of adjustment too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
had any fun with that yet turbo?? i have a few i can send ya when u get some practice at it :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts