AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had Cameron Childers install the rails (2 spot welds over left dimple), drill the holes (CNC) and heat treat the shell........

This is for a 1967 dated kit from Arms of America (hardwood furniture and blued finish)

Matt also CNC'd the selector marks......

All in all I am very happy with the way this turned out! Should make a spot on build!

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicely done!!
Tell us how you did it :)
I have bluing tanks here.......

1st a dunk in the strip tank, then neutralizer.
2nd carded with carding wheel to remove black color left by heat treat.
3rd bluing tank.

This gives a "factory" finish.......

·
Registered
642 Posts

3rd bluing tank.

Do you do any bluing jobs for fellow forum members? I actually ordered a receiver from Childers guns and I'd love to have it blued. Your receiver looks great!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

3rd bluing tank.

Looks good man. Is there a secret to rust prevention as far as rust in the crevices & hard to reach spots??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Beautiful receiver. Thanks for posting this, since the pics on Childer's site are pretty small. I was mainly interested in how his spot welds look. Did the receiver take the bluing pretty uniform?

And a free plug for buckoff. Here's a a Nodak receiver he did for me. Excuse the poor lighting, they look much better in natural light. He did two for me, and managed to do them in just under two weeks.

With and without flash.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. Nice bluing OP. I picked up two Polish kits from AOA a few months back (both '68 blued/hardwood) too. Great looking kits. I have two of Cameron's finished Polish receivers and I intend to blue both.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Holy crap thats beautiful!! Buff it to a good Chinese finish and Ill buy it! :)

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy crap thats beautiful!! Buff it to a good Chinese finish and Ill buy it! :)
The pics don't show the "finish" like it looks in person.........all the chinese I have seen are not "buffed" or polished and have an as bent type of finish.
But hey, I can make it look like a Colt python or a pimp gun your choice!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I had Cameron Childers install the rails (2 spot welds over left dimple), drill the holes (CNC) and heat treat the shell........
I'm curious, was this a whole receiver heat treatment, or just spot hardening? I ask because I never did find out what steel these were equivalent to, and attempts to heat treat the whole thing left them over hardened and brittle when treating these like 4130.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts