AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mario at PoHF is my 'smith and FFL, and we were talking mags one day. I was still buying them (and buying... and buying...) back then, and we were talking about how many is enough.

"How many loaded mags can you carry with you?" he asked me.

It made me think: why have I not considered this before?

So now, I'm thinking maybe just enough to comfortably carry in my old Russian vest-type chest rig: say four, loaded; plus one or two for spare parts, empty; then one in the rifle, loaded (or two taped together, one upside-down).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You know I just started to think about this as well. My approach though was to start buying 4-cell pouches for them my 7.62 mags in East German rain camo pouches, 5.45's in Russian pouches. This way I know what caliber is in which, and it's easier to grab and go if needed, or slip on the belt.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
A basic load full is a minimum.

When I collected mags, I first started collecting a an ammo pouch full... That got expensive, with some... I also realized that I had $1K tied up in a single mag pouch set.... So I downgraded to 1 of each type, plus a basic loads worth of mags... Thats what I go with now.

Having said that though, good, quality, military grade mags are starting to fade away. So having a "life time supply" is not out of the question either..

·
Registered
627 Posts
A basic load full is a minimum.

When I collected mags, I first started collecting a an ammo pouch full... That got expensive, with some... I also realized that I had $1K tied up in a single mag pouch set.... So I downgraded to 1 of each type, plus a basic loads worth of mags... Thats what I go with now.

Having said that though, good, quality, military grade mags are starting to fade away. So having a "life time supply" is not out of the question either..

THIS and they DO wear out sooner or later..so have plenty of spares.....in reality I have enough mags that my grand kids will be shooting them....

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
yea, all you need is 4-5, but thats all you need for how long? Depending on how much AND HOW you use them depends on how many you need. If your training once to twice a month, a set of 4 mags might only last you... 2 years? more, 1 year. If your going to the range and using them once a month or even less. They would probably last for 15 years.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would say for home storage buy as many as you can afford and have room for. You can always sell/trade some later if needed.

My opinion has changed as far as how many mags to carry,and I suspect I am not the only one here. I used to think that 8 mags would be ideal ,but I have since downsized. I am much more comfortable with 3-4 in a rig with extra ammo on stripper clips in a pack. That is with an AK mind you. With an AR I would carry 6 + extra ammo in a pack.

·
Registered
22,683 Posts
If you can comfortably afford it and can store it.. just keep getting them when deals pop up. How many guns can you carry with you?

I'd have 10 mags for a rifle... then another 10 just in case those get damaged..then another 10 in case those get lost. Then another 10 somewhere else just in case you had to leave those others behind suddenly..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Magazines wear out, get damaged or lost, stolen, burned up in house fires, and probably some day confiscated.

I believe that there will come a day, sooner than later, when we can no longer buy new, quality magazines easily.

I have lived through one ban already. How many mags would you be comfortable owning if you knew that what you had was all that you would ever have?

I own many more mags than I could ever carry. The idea is that I can train regularly and wear some out, damage others, unforeseen events may occur causing me to lose others, and I will still have all the mags I need when SHTF.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you can comfortably afford it and can store it.. just keep getting them when deals pop up. How many guns can you carry with you?

I'd have 10 mags for a rifle... then another 10 just in case those get damaged..then another 10 in case those get lost. Then another 10 somewhere else just in case you had to leave those others behind suddenly..

I agree. If you can afford it, sky's the limit! Assuming you are buying ammo as well. I am relatively poor. I pick up what I can when I can as far as mags and ammo. I am fairly comfortable with my number of magazines.
I need one more AR upper and I have sworn off buying anymore guns. Except a G26 for my wife. Just trying to concentrate on ammo right now.

I definitley dont own enough ammo/ able to buy enough ammo/ willing to shoot enough ammo to wear out my maganizes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Who says you will be on the go when you need to use your rifle? Could be in a firefight trapped in your home. few extra loaded magazines scattered around the house may just do some good.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've been buying 5 mags per rifle...so 4 AR's 20 mags 4 AK's 20 mags.....figure SHTF 1200 loaded up rounds....if I ever get in anything where I burn up anywhere that much ammo at one time well I'm probably SOL anyway..that or I found a ironman suit some where.

·
Super Moderator
26,414 Posts
Buy as many as you think you will need. As has been pointed out, they can get lost, stolen, broken etc...so always have spares. Twenty per rifle is a good round number to start, but whatever works for you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you can afford them there is never enough. Extra loaded magazines in an ammo can can come in handy if you need quick reloads for your vest, pouches whatever. You can never know what will happen. Also as Fredrick of Prussia said, " Never underestimate the value of a surplus over the evil of a deficiency."

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Consumable. As many as you can get. It gets worse when you think you might have to arm a family member or friend... (for your wallet :))

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
You can say the same thing about rifles...

...about everything really.

I consider magazines to be a form of non perishable food.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't own a G3 but bought about 50 mags at $1 each a while back. Wife thought I was nuts....until I showed her what they were selling for just the other day. Now she wants to know why I didn't buy 300 of them. I told her to remember that and act accordingly in the future. Same deal with $7 AK mags. Buy wisely and stock up when you can...because they are really just a good store of value even if you never use them.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Investment purposes.....buy cheap stack deep. You can always convert them to cash. Depending on the 2014 elections, they could be your retirement plan.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This is one of those times i wish i had a sliding scale of SHTF from a 0 to 10.

SHTF 0 (ie loss of a job, finances getting tight,... etc)
SHTF 10 (ie Alien Nazi Zombies returning from Alpha Centauri to eat our brains)

Mags are considered consumable. So Spares are in order.

After receiving threats to my life, I tried to imagine how many rounds a person can realistically expect to fire.
I can only imagine that 99.999% of the time less than 10 rounds will be expended (maybe < 3 ). And that 0.001 % chance we need more? Well then, you would need every mag in your state.

Thus from this point of view, you need somewhere between 1 mag and infinite.

TLDR version:
Buy whatever you can afford to keep around without sacrificing space or sanity or money for other essential things like bills, food, shovels, etc...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another thing to consider is the different variations of AK mags out there and buying different types allows you to try them in your rifle. When I got in on the Sportsmans Guide mag deal, I received quite a few variations and noticed that the Yugo mags didn't fit as well as other steel mags.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts