AK Rifles banner

Hungarian NGV_5.56x45 mm prototypes.

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Itsnodawayitustabe 
#1 ·
Haydee guys and girls,

Do you have any of these around in the USA?
It is an Hungarian 5.56x45mm calibre version of the AK produced by FEG.

Isn't she a beauty?

Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

See less See more
#2 ·
Michael Kassnar imported the pre-89 7.62 rifles but your model may not have been available for import during that time period or he didn't think it would be worth the trouble. I would like to own one like yours even though I don't care for 5.56

Welcome to the forum Tombak

Bill

#3 ·
Tombak., sweet rifle.
Looks to be a Romanian Md97 type mag (short body ribs). I had plans to build a NGV clone and had the parts lined up. But I went an easier route and used an East German STG940 barrel to build a 5.56 Bulgarian AK100 type. I have one more 5.56 barrel left so maybe some day.

#11 · (Edited)
+1., On the NGV clone I planned was a reprofiled & sleeved East German STG 940 barrel.,Yugo 5.56 large stem, short lug bolt and the Romanian 5.56 magazine or the East German version. I changed up and did a AK74 Bulgarian to 5.56 instead. Easier mag and furniture sourcing.

In retrospect the NGV might have been easier even with the sleeved chamber and Hungarian furniture (Ironwood would have worked).
The AK74 long lug trunnion and the Yugo short lug bolt do not play as well together. Barrel setback and bullet guide issues took some head scratching. Just about done now. Seeing that NGV., it might have been the way to go. Use the 45 degree block and Hungarian barrel components . Oh well., I have one more STG barrel??

#14 ·
Its just another chapter in the sad misery of the Hungarian economy. Basically saying on the origins and everything else about it.

Short point to the story. The people worked pretty hard on it but FEG was already in trouble and didn't have the marketing capacity to further expand on the NGM setup and its successes. Also, the design had some faults in it especially the use of the PKM flash hider, it was hindering accuracy, but then again further research could have been done with the twist rate and they were relying on the studies and observations of the 5.45 round and then building from there. If they had done better research and made the twist rate and got better ammo, the studies and research would have been different. To me, it was akin to having shitty tools and going from there. If they would have had better research and innovation and the money and desire, they would have found like the Bulgarian AK-106 that the 1-7 twist rate works very well and accuracy when using NATO specified ammunition could have been successful.

In the end, it was the 80s and 90s and things were changing immensely especially the planned economy setup. Quality just wasn't there as before sadly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.