AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not what you are thinking I am diabetic and if things hit the fan the first thing I would do is go to all the pharmacies I could with my guns and gear to aqiure my medications As the structure of all domestic and comercial shipping would be gone this would be a resort only if the system fails. I never see it mentioned but antibiotics are very important. pain killers and basic medical supplies. while everyone else is after all the other things I would be going for the D.C of pharmacy drugs to get a large stockpile of insulin I could bury in the ground sealed to help it keep so I could help keep my kid alive and my women. what are your thoughts on this?

· Registered
23,494 Posts
I think if you went with that plan... you'd probably die before your insulin ran out. Far too many dopeheads would be smashing into pharmacies looking for painkillers and whatnot.. and would overwhelm you if you went in like that.

Also I dont think the ground would be a very good place to store temperature sensitive medicine.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=122673&hilit=diabetic+survival

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that I could keep it three feet or so down underground won't freeze but not to hot either in the summer. As for the dopeheads I figured that to so I hope I can retrieve insulin after the dopeheads get their fix.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
What is the practical (not the stated) shelf life of insulin? Does it require a scrip or is it only the syringes that do? If it does require a scrip, could you find a friendly (prep friendly) doctor to let you stock up? I think burying is the only long term option really unless you have a LOT of propane or a solar/wind power system that can run a refrigerator.

· Registered
1,307 Posts
It doesn't take much to keeep drugs cool. They sell little refrigeratored cases at the drugstore that work off of 12 volt for the car. Get a battery and a solar panel like you use on a deer feeder and you are set.

Getting the supply is the problem as the OP suggests, but I agree his proposed solution is a recipe for disaster.

joedog

· Registered
1,248 Posts
I've discussed this quite a bit with a diabetic relative who lives in the country. He is also older (not that old-almost 60), so that plays a factor into the length to which he/we will go to keep him alive. We have come to the conclusion that it's best to keep enough supply as is practical on hand at all times, and hope that any SHTF scenario does not last longer than that.

Frankly, depending on the severity of your diabetes, you could be fucked anyway, as you also have to consider what kind of diet will be available. We really believe that, even with 6 months supply of insulin on hand, there is a very good chance he would not make it that long.

· Registered
636 Posts
We're looking at the same problem. Without prescription meds, we're not going to last long. And thanks to the way the insurance companies and DEA work, it's almost impossible to build up a supply of anything that requires a prescription.

Our SHTF scenarios, therefore, stop short of total social collapse. I figure we can hold out long enough for our new Chinese or Mexican overlords to settle in and take over the reins...

· Registered
1,969 Posts
seems I have a couple things wrong with me,one of them is high blood sugar.
I take a pill once a day and changed my diet.
I have lost about 50 pounds so far in one year,and am still working on it,in the hope of not needing that one,little pill.
though in the last year because of the other things I have going on I have become kind of a herbalist of sorts.
there are vitamins that can help you.
if you go to riteaid or walmart you will find a vitamin pack made for diabetics.
this will help with your blood sure balance.
Now when I first started,I got online and read alot and bought all the vitamins seperate and take a bigger dose then the packs.
my blood sugar doesnt bounce around at all(105).
for wounds and infections etc there are things that will work.
though nothing beats a good doctor but I feel with herbs etc can help until you can get to one.
alot of reading etc though lol.
some things you can get in the spice section as well.
talmuric works great to clean your body of toxins etc.
hope this helps,as I type I tend to go all over the place so I hope I stayed as close to topic.
DAMN OCD!

· Banned
1,073 Posts
This is a good thread, I take anti seizure meds due to a truck wreck i got into 10 years ago. I only take 1 a day, but being out for more than 2 weeks would be an issue.

My solution has been to overstate my condition so I can get bigger scripts.

For example, my current script refill is 90 pills. I hoard 60 of them every month so my backup supply is pretty big.

Now in regards to insulin, I don't know about shelf life and so on.

· Registered
942 Posts
Here is a link that talks about the insulin shelf-life questions:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/inde ... 51200.html

For the antibiotics, you can stock up. Cheap too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076 ... GFVJP5E3NH

A google search on the keywords, "fish antibiotics for human use" will reveal a bunch of info. Too much to list here. Apparently, the Fish Mox and Amoxicillin you get via prescription are the exact same.

akusersam-7, I agree with 10G in that you'll probably never make it into the front door of any drugstore. There is a breed of survivalists who believe the only things they will need to survive are weapons and ammo, and when SHTF they will take what they want. Are you one of them? Because if you are, you better find some like-minded folks to join forces with. If you aren't, you will probably be better off either staying away from drugstores and food stores, or bring a small army with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.