AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am constantly coming across armslist ads that are complete bullshit. There are several ways to tell if an ad is a scam

A. Do a reverse image search of the pictures posted.
You can do this by right clicking the image and clicking "search google for this image". If there are other copies of this image on the web, chances are this is a scam.

B. Search the text posted in the ad. If it was a copy/paste and the text appears in another ad, this is a scam. I found one that still had the "first one to post I'll take it, wins." from the AK-Files. Often times old versions of the same ad pop up posted in different cities. Obviously a scam.

C. If the price is abnormally low, it's probably a scam.

D. Ask for additional pictures of specific parts of the gun. If they are unable to provide those, it's a scam.

E. If they pass all of the above tests, DO NOT send any money yet. Arrange to have them go to their FFL before payment is made. Go to your respective FFL and have them contact each other. If their FFL can verify the weapon is there in the condition posted, you are good. If not, it's a scam.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Personally, armslist isn't for buying online, it's for buying face to face IMO. Every armslist transaction I've completed has been face to face and Id never consider anything more.

If im gonna buy used online then I'll go gunbroker or forums known for good dealings.

Thanks for posting this info. Maybe it will help some people out.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Do yourself a favor and view Armslist as a way for you to buy gun stuff face to face only. Doing it any other way than a FTF is just asking for trouble.
Meet at a public place if you're selling and don't give out anymore information than needed to complete the sale. Also if you get that something just ain't right about this guy feeling don't sell him a firearm (I have done it once). I usually ask if the guy has a concealed carry license if I'm selling a handgun that way I know he's one of the good guys.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Only done FTF with Armslist. Many transactions, no difficulties. A lot of folks bring a friend. On a side note, I got a bite once on a pistol by a gal and popping her email into FB linked me to her gang life. I hate to be biased but it seemed off to me that a girl would be buying herself a full size .45 so I just declined the sale. While I would've required all legalities to be covered, the last thing I'd want is PD inspecting my sale due to its use in a crime.

·
Registered
22,272 Posts
Is it on Armslist?

It's a scam.

:roflmao:

Reactions: Dawg180 and Arik

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
Is it on Armslist?

It's a scam.

:roflmao:
That's my thought as well...I have never used this, and never will. there are way too many stories about folks getting burned, so I steer clear.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I have looked at armlist before and this tells me stay away. Thanks.

·
Banned
339 Posts
My 25 cents:

points A & B are spot on the money

C & D, not so much...

I purchase things listed "abnormally low" all the time online. Typical examples are firearms related goodies advertised on air gun or knife general sales forums.
you want a decent buy on a sports car ?
start looking in the back lots of dealerships that specialize in 4WD pick ups.

Figured this out years ago
I could buy Canuck collectors coins dirt cheap in America and American collectors coins dirt cheap in Canada, I made huge bucks on that differential. Wasn't even import duties involved as I was hauling Canuck money back into the 51st State and American money back into the States. It's another area utterly ruined by the damn Internet.

as far as the inability to provide additional pix I would go so far with these requests but you do this shit as a business you get rapidly sick of the damn pic collectors. I have much better things to do with my time than entertain some damn child asking me to dismount a gun so they can see the damn internals and yeah went through plenty of that before I caught on and just ignored those inquiries.

Add to that there are folks who have others take their pix and post ads for them, usually their adult kids. Most 60+ year olds are not into technology, they find someone like me to post up for them.

FTF is the way to go if you want to actually make a deal after talking on the phone like normal humans do
you never can tell what else may be lurking in the damn closets guys.

this is a basic tenet of internet "picking"

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Some of our board members have been bit, hard, during online purchases. Fortunately, we've gotten a lot smarter over the years.

As for FTF, I wanted to buy a Colt M1917 revolver listed on GB, while I was traveling in Seattle. The seller freaked out. I even sent him a copy of my LE business card and arranged to meet at his local PD. He wouldn't even return my emails. Weird.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Some of our board members have been bit, hard, during online purchases. Fortunately, we've gotten a lot smarter over the years.

As for FTF, I wanted to buy a Colt M1917 revolver listed on GB, while I was traveling in Seattle. The seller freaked out. I even sent him a copy of my LE business card and arranged to meet at his local PD. He wouldn't even return my emails. Weird.
Some reacting that way are scumbags, more are just freaked out. Remember the Rockford Files ? Anyone can print out business cards.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Yeah, those people in WA state are kinda wierd. :D

Seriousally though, he probaly thought it was some kind of sting or something.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

If that was within the last two years, you were asking him to conduct an illegal transaction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If that was within the last two years, you were asking him to conduct an illegal transaction.
Hasn't selling handguns across state lines without having it transferred to an FFL in your home state been illegal for more than 2 years? I know I've never been able to buy handguns in TN or GA unless they were C&R.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hasn't selling handguns across state lines without having it transferred to an FFL in your home state been illegal for more than 2 years? I know I've never been able to buy handguns in TN or GA unless they were C&R.

That's true as well, now that I think of it.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
If he had planned on shipping it to his FFL (which I had assumed) then it would have been all good. But yeah your right, illegal.

Isnt there some clause for LE? Maybe that's why he wanted to meet at the local PD?

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
I bought one thing on Armslist, and it was Face to Face. Guy originally tried to back out because I wanted to meet at a local PD, but I understood his paranoia and everything went smoothly afterward.

·
Banned
339 Posts
It's always confounded me why anyone would have a mind to want to do a gun transaction outside a Cop Shop. I can understand if you are buying a car off Craigslist or something like that but a gun ?
Talk about huge potential for unwanted drama...

I can see it now…you are sitting in "Joes" car. He passes you the piece. An erstwhile Officer sees this, it's a SWATZI situation likely resulting in a damn Brandishing citation at the very least…maybe even Menacing. People get cited for "Brandishing" regularly over very innocuous acts. Locally a number of years back the PD in conjunction with the State Police set up an undercover "Pawn" shop manned by a confidential informant. After about a year in business they arrested Dozens of folks, something like 15 of them were pinched for brandishing BB guns as they took them from their vehicles into the storefront. Now yeah the District Judge tossed all the brandishing charges out but these innocent people still had their names smeared in the press and spent a day or more in Jail. In the end there were only like four people in the entire sting who were found guilty.

Anyways I can see just so many variables that can go wrong doing a gun deal in the Cop Shop parking lot and seriously guys, I really don't know many that would be comfortable doing a deal inside the Station either, if that was even doable. Some jurisdictions that's going to be a big time No Go with the Police themselves.
Now I'm sure there are rural jurisdictions where this is just fine but it's not the rural areas so much where you need to worry about scum robbing you so much but rather, more urban settings.

Color me curious but can you guys explain how you are doing these Cop Shop transactions ?
every time I read about people doing things like that I tend to shudder thinking "WTF, Seriously ?"

Again I think it completely sound advice buying Gold, Silver, a car off of Craigslist but you lose me big time applying it to a gun deal

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
When did buying a C&R eligible handgun with my C&R license become illegal in WA state?

As for doing the deal in the station parking lot,the North Seattle PD has offered their parking lot for that purpose. And if I am going to do a "sting", I won't be using my real name, address, work and cell phone number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts