AK Rifles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,732 Posts
Usually depending on the age of the HG you get some id points. On one hand it is really hard to get that exact look of Russian wood. I own a Romy that has some battlefield pick up wood and apart from the color of the wood on the left hand side you have 4 numbers matched into the wood which is a id of a 60's akm as far as I know.

Anyone else wanna chime in here?

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of Polish AKM handguards and the color of the wood (laminate) and the finish sets them apart from others. However, I used to think you could tell Romanian because they where all one piece plywood. Then I saw that they made them in the three piece version as well.

So if there aren't any markings on them, what sets Russian, Romanian, Egyptian and other laminate handguards apart?

Oh and Russian Tula has rounded side bulges and Izzy has sharper corners?

· Registered
3,582 Posts
It is something you just have to learn by looking at examples of Russian and other countries Handguards, there are some that look VERY similiar. There is a difference in the Shellac and colors ,the lamination, the cut of the inside and outside, like the swells , and the reinforcing pin location. it is a feel you get after awhile..there are photos all over this Forum, look at the AKM photo sticky in the Russian section, then check Handguards for sale to see the finish and inside looks......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.