AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some flux and high temp silver solder/braze (1200 degrees) and did a test run on a barrel scrap and got it to work okay but here are some issues.
It had to get VERY hot (glowing dull red) to get it to run. I'm concerned I'd damage the barrel.
When I do it with the 'real' piece, and screw on the breake, there isn't much room to get the wire to the threads, so hard to get in.
Any suggestions?
WHen you use the paste, do you spread it on the threads screw them together then heat? In othewards, do you just heat it in place and the paste runs?
SHOULD YOU QUENCH or LET COOL NATURALY?

If so, this would likley be MUCH easier than the wire I'm using.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I use the paste. I thoroughly clean the threads and etc. Smear past on the threads and screw on your muzzle attachment. Clear away any excess. Heat the muzzle device (not barrel) until it starts to glow red. That is the point at which your solder/flux will liquify. Don't get it too hot (orange/yellow) or you'll just burn away the solder. Move the torch all the way around (the glow spot will follow your torch). Then let cool... don't quench! That's all it should take.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only need to do one rifle, where can I get the smallest quantity of paste?
Seems like it is $50 at brownells?

·
Banned
460 Posts
under comments put what you are doing and ask for the correct silversolder.unless someone here knows the exact product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts