AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This trigger guard is from a Russian AKM that I need to fix or replace. Should I have it welded up or can I use say JB Weld? Anyone have a spare Russian early stamped trigger guard?

Someone over pressed the rivet........Ah it was like that when I drilled the rivet out demilling it.............

CAB

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you're really worried about it then the correct way would be to weld it and re-drill the hole. If it were mine, I would probably try to rivet "as is" and see how it looked before I filled and drilled... Just my .02...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My romy G had a similar issue, but with two of the rivet holes.

We had a bunch of extra rivets at the time, so we figured we'd just rivet it and see what happened.

She's my go-to rifle when I've got someone new to the AK wanting to shoot one, and has had easily 2500 rounds through her.

Still toight like a toiger to this day, and by looking closely you'd never know there was anything "wrong" with the rivet holes.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
I would rivet "as is" also. The dome of the rivet will cover that and the other rivet hole will give it enough support. The Chinese went to one rivet hole per side and I do not see trigger guards ripping off their rifles.

Hootbro

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hootbro said:
I would rivet "as is" also. The dome of the rivet will cover that and the other rivet hole will give it enough support. The Chinese went to one rivet hole per side and I do not see trigger guards ripping off their rifles.

Hootbro
a big +1, I have built well over one hundred AKs and have seen many TGs like that one. Sometimes I use a swell neck rivet because it fills up the hole better. When I'm done you cant tell there was ever a problem. I think you are fine to go ahead and rivet. I dont think it will show.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hootbro said:

Hootbro
Tried it and there is a gap on one side.

CAB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trigger guard

Trueno said:
Tx Dogblaster said:
If you're really worried about it then the correct way would be to weld it and re-drill the hole.

Yep!

t
I know, I don't even know why I posted such a silly question....Maybe I was looking for a kind soul to sell me a unfreked up Russian AKM trigger guard..........hint........hint........hint........off to the WTB forum.

CAB

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Re: Trigger guard

CAB said:
Trueno said:
Tx Dogblaster said:
If you're really worried about it then the correct way would be to weld it and re-drill the hole.

Yep!

t
I know, I don't even know why I posted such a silly question....Maybe I was looking for a kind soul to sell me a unfreked up Russian AKM trigger guard..........hint........hint........hint........off to the WTB forum.

CAB

Heck, I thought you simply wanted somebody to weld that hole up. I've done them but the success rate is 50/50. Sometimes my mojo is workin' and the stars are aligned properly and I can add just the tiniest amount of metal to the edge of a rivet hole...other times nuthin' works.

The problem in your case would be tryin' not to destroy the edge of the guard - ie: keep the squared edge from breaking down/deforming. If the bad part of the hole was on the other side towards the mag release it would be easier, the body of the guard would help as a heat-sink along with the sink used under the hole.

In your case, best bet is to start heat on the good edge of the hole (guard side) and let metal flow to the bad side and ultimately fill the hole completely.

So, by all means, your trigger guard can be saved...just gotta accept the possibility of havin' to redrill the hole.

t

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trigger guard

t
Is that a Krink on your welding shield or what ever that is......If it's just a weld splatter then your mojo is working.....Ah I used some JB Weld on it, hope thats not a sin. Lightning hasn't struck me yet, but I'am still hiding in the bedroom closet. My dogs won't come near me anymore, wonder if they know something I don't.

CAB

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
looks like the old rivet ring covers the egged hole.but it is yours so weld it ,redrill the hole and go from there.me,I would just go as is and rivet it and foogeddaboutit.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
sometimes a swell neck rivet will work if the hole is deep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts