AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rifle were the finish is all gone and the rifle is spray painted. Would just using paint remover be okay to remove the spray paint?

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
use plain thinner wear gloves it will pretty much melt the paint and be all over your hands. Paper towels will be your friend. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i found pure acetone works well. kind of a super dooper fingernail polish remover. its crazy cheap. works like a charm. i bought a amd65 covered in spray paint and wiped the entire thing clean of spray paint in less than 30mins it came off that easy. and what do you know a mint condition amd underneath. didnt hurt the original finish at all. a rag and wipes right off with little effort. it evaporates fast so keep the rag soaked. qtips help in some of the smaller areas.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Get an aluminum-type cooking pan, something disposable that you can get from Wally-World. Fill the pan with whatever solvent you're going to use (be sure to have plenty of ventilation - IE do it in the garage, with the garage door open) - this way you can immerse the parts in the solvent and it'll act more like a bath, and all the runoff will go right back into the pan. This will speed up the process, especially when combined w/some nylon brushes...

I've used Jasco to remove rattle-can paint from rifles, but you gotta use some super gloves and eye protection w/that stuff - get it on UR skin and burns like hell!!!

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I've never had any luck stripping paint with plain thinner. Maybe if the paint is fresh and hasn't cured yet?

The Jasco stuff in a spray can from lowes is very good. Like J-rod said, it's very bad for your skin, eyes, and lungs. I only use it outside.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brake cleaner. Spray, scrub, spray away residue. Easy like pie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts