AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and have never bought a used gun off of an individual.

Have the opportunity to buy one from an individual that messaged me on here, after I posted about looking for a new one. Never considered buying used without seeing gun before I buy, but it sounds like a decent deal.

He is out of state and it would have to be shipped. He says it is like new and hardly been shot. How do I protect myself to know for one,that I am going to get the gun after I pay? And two, that what I receive is what he says it is? It shows he has been a member here for 2 months.

I want to believe the guy but I know there are plenty of scammers out there. Just scares me since it is new to me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah be very careful on this forum, there is no feedback system here.
Seems like every time i log on ,they're new scammers being outed here.
Especially on WTB ads.

hey xxxxx has what you need email him at xxxxxxx he's downsizing his collection....blah blah blah...

also guys saying scammers are getting good at proof of life pictures and photoshopped drivers license.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah be very careful on this forum, there is no feedback system here.
Seems like every time i log on ,they're new scammers being outed here.
Especially on WTB ads.

hey xxxxx has what you need email him at xxxxxxx he's downsizing his collection....blah blah blah...

also guys saying scammers are getting good at proof of life pictures and photoshopped drivers license.
Looks like I’d be better off buying new and not stressing over it

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are fine to buy a "like new" used rifle, which if I'm being honest most of mine are. That said, there is an incessant and rudimentary scam being played by a couple cats around here for the last year or so. It's blatantly obvious, yet there's a sucker born every minute as they say.

"Random" guy PM's you after you post an ad looking for said thing... says, "hey, durka durka, I have a friend/uncle/guy @ durkadurka.com email address that has what you're looking for, and it's %30 less cost than what you were expecting to pay!" "Granted, I'm just taking time out of my day to hook up fellow random internet guy, but I'm being cereal, this is totes legit!" "Also, I'm a prince in my homeland who's fallen on hard times, but my dowry will be released any day now, and I've been trying to contact you about your car warranty."

It's easy to get caught up thinking you have finally cracked the code, but just an ounce of common sense goes a long way.

(ANY real seller will be happy to prove their worth, while any scammer will happily avoid any and all direct questions or attempts to prove they are legit. Most are new accounts, most don't speak grood engerish... savvy?) Reverse image search is your friend :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I won’t buy from a new member unless they are either an old member I recognize from other Forums or the have multiple positive feedback from OLD Forum members...... somebody new with 3 or 4 positive feedback from other new members I will also stay away from...... Every month or so on the few forums I belong too somebody is complaining about being scammed and sending (sometimes a good chunk) money to someone and never receiving the item..... It never used to be this prolific up till about a year or two ago, I feel like firearms/accessory scamming is the New “Your car warranty is about to expire” scam.

Buying used is a great way to save money let someone else put a couple scratches into it that way your not afraid to use it! Check out your local classifieds and Armslist that is how I have built most of my collection. Nothing better then seeing something in person before you buy.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Also, dont forget to ask all the right questions. Is it a factory rifle? If so where and when did he get it? Any mods or upgrades? Ask for pictures of the front sight to see if its canted, and bullet test. If its a build then who built it? Ask for close ups of the rivet work. What kind of receiver, and compliance parts? Numbers matching kit? What kind of barrel? Ask for pics of where rust would pop up if corrosive ammo was used like the gas tube. Also ask for pics of the inside receiver rails and center support rivet to check for rust if its an old NDS receiver. And as always-buy the rifle, not the story.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
the thing that gets me is the interest people show for guns being sold by members that have 1 or 2 posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I’m not taking a chance on it as something tells me it’s a scam. Brown21 is the member

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You pays your money, and you takes your chances.
Same here as all online outlets. It's a double edged deal, really. Try to buy from long time members w/multiple deals, but that strategy leaves out good people who can't accumulate the history.
Start small work your way up and out. Most folks aren't going to ♤♡◇♧ you over <$50 or so.
If it's sounds too good to be true...........
Good Luck! Have fun!

PS The "Recomended Reading" below is just that.
Reading. PM if you must, but don't get us all excited.

• Haha
Reactions: ingraham

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's not me, but what wingnut308 said isn't a joke. I've used Ramen noodles as packing material before.
At least those would be somewhat useful.
W/the advent of If it Fits..... seems like you can "acquire" almost anything that hasn't sold/takes up space.
I/we run a Black Tablecloth 5&under table, and still can't move some of these things.
ROTO

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I’m not taking a chance on it as something tells me it’s a scam. Brown21 is the member
This person brown 21 is 100% a scammer, if you look at the account he’s doing the typical activity boosting posts you see from scammers.

I suspect this is just another one of the [mention]Joseph ray [/mention] guy’s accounts.

He uses photoshop and almost got $1500 from me back in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
my rule of thumb is if someone just comes here and lists for sale without actually contributing to the forum as a whole ,then i do not even entertain the thought of throwing my money at them , i also take into account the quality of the posts , if they are just spam posts ,one or two word posts or if they actually contribute

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I am an ffl dealer. I do deals with people where the buyer sends me the money and I send out the gun. Just tell the seller you want him to send the gun thru an ffl and the money will be sent to the selling ffl with the condition being the gun is sent out before the seller gets paid. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If using paypal, never send payments "as a friend". Look into the methods of payment they have that includes buyer protection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts