AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an air compressor... that is the biggest issue. Can one be rigged up with paintball CO2 canisters (the 20 ounce ones) or will that pretty much last me a few seconds and thats it?

I don't have a stockpile of tools or parts... I just want a blasting area so I can get rid of old finish/rust/small pits and then maybe in the future set up my own park or black oxide areas. The key idea is to save money but have a useful tool.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I bought a CP pancake compressor from Harbor freight for $59. It is best for spraying but I have blasted with it. You need to let it build up between blasts. Try stopping by a local machine shop and asking if you can rent time and they'll probably let you blast for free.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Q

CO2 is only good for short blasts. Use it continuously and the can freezes up and pressure drops off. I don't even like using CO2 for air brushes.
A small 110 volt compressor and 20 gallon tank would be a good buy. You can do short blast sessions until the tank heats up. Let it cool and then blast some more.

Even my big 5 hp 60 gallon rig isn't enough for continous blasting! You've seen the tank heats up too much after about an hour.

Would you be interested in my tanks and stand after I am done building?
(Yes, you're still welcome to use them in the meanwhile!)

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Compressors are very cheap, and they always come handy for 1,000s of projects! Everybody must have one!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Save up and buy a good compressor ! 2 stage , 220 volt and oil lubricated. It will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I have burned up 2 craftmen 110 volt non- lubricated before I saw the light . Chince on something else and go for a good one.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Try looking up the Eastwood co. They are a company that provides tools and stuff for classic car restorers. IIRC they used to carry a small blast cabinet complete with everything but the compressor. It would make a great unit for anyone building AKs, not too big, not too small.

The one I'm thinking of bolted together and was pretty easy to break down and move if need be. The bottom was like a squared funnel and had small diamond wire in it so you could easily reuse your blast media. Had a plexiglas viewing window and some kind of clear plastic film that went on the inside of the window that you could replace whenever it got too cloudy so the blasting material didn't ruin the actual plexiglas. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I was at HF yesterday.
They had a nice basic 2 hp 110v compressor on a 20 gal . tank for $159. Oil type. So it'll last a long time. But you will need to use a big separator like mine has. Those are another $25 on sale plus the plumbing bits to connect it all.

That'll be OK for small blast jobs. Adequate for most other home jobs.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I have the campbell hausfield 6hp, 100v and burned it up. repaired it, i think it's got issues again. blasting is hard on a compressor, theyrun and run and run..

IF you can, get the 220 v as suggested.

·
Registered
612 Posts
One thing to try is to regulate the air pressure down to like 40PSI( it breaks down the media at higher pressures) and make sure you have the smallest possible air orifice(not the blasting tip) in the gun (lower CFM usage) I built my cabinet years ago with a $9.99 HF siphon gun and have used a 5HP 60gallon 10CFM Puma with out issue. I now use a Ingersoll Rand 10Hp 120gallon 35CFM plenty of air for any application. Hope this helps as I spent a bunch of time and money learning it. Artty

·
Registered
261 Posts
Q as much as you love guns and building. do what ever it takes to get a compressor. plus you then can spray your gunkote too. not to mention getting REAL HANDY tools for it like die grinders with carbide bits and a plethora of other awesome air tools!

I could not build anything without mine, or lets just say I would not want to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got lucky and picked up a 'Demo' Campbell Hausfield 120v-20 gal compressor from Home Depot years ago for $100 (regular $295). It has defintely been used a lot since I got it. But, looking back at how much I have used it, I would prefer one with more HP (maybe 220v) and tank capacity. But...the biggest mistake I made was in buying a cheap 'bench-top' blast cabinet from Harbour Freight. The viewing window is mounted in the hinged top, which is also the access door, and has warped so badly, that blast material blows out everywhere when I use it. The problem is the plastic/plexiglass viewing window has warped and since it makes up 95% of the door, it has warped the door with it. I would prefer a cabinet with a fixed top (with viewing window) and a hinged side access door. And definitely use protective, transparent covers on the inside of the viewing window....otherwise you will be changing the window out frequently. Another issue that I had to address with the cabinet is dust extraction....if you don't have an efficient extractor mounted to the cabinet, you will not be able to see what you are doing. Using different types of blast media will help reduce this problem, but it will typically be an issue. I managed to get an old vacuum cleaner hooked up to mine, but this in not ideal.

But, all things being equal, I don't know how I would get along without what I have...for better or worse!

·
Registered
261 Posts
good point about blast cabinets,gmum. it holds true with most tools also.

heres the company to get top notch sand blasting equipment from.http://www.tptools.com/

I bought a portable sand blaster from them 8 years ago and its been flawless. I would suggest buying a portable rig instead of a blast cabinet,if one has the right air compressor and has a driveway/back yard with some space. its so much faster,mobile and it can be used for many other larger projects.

a correct, and SAFE(you do not want to breath this [email protected]#T in your garage!!!) blast cabinet set up is very expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts