AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on how to carry 12 ga shotgun ammo in a SHTF-type of threat environment? Messenger bag?

I forget what they used in Việt Nam but as I recall it was WWII-style ammo pouches on belts, using multiple belts, with the canvas pouches just STUFFED with shells. Need to look it again, though...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have a butt stock cuff made out of black nylon martial that I like. I also have a nylon belt that has something like 20 loops for 12ga on it, I can also slide one of the GI 12ga belt cases that you mention on that belt. Past that an ammo can would have to come into play.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can tell you from experience to stay away from the bandolier/belt style carriers that use elastic to hold the shells. You might look like a tough SOB with 50 shotshells slung across your chest but....You will lose about 1/2 your shells the first day and leave a trail (like bread crumbs) along the way. Use some type of pouch or vest pocket. 25 round box of shot shells left in the BOX with flaps folded out of the way and set in a large pocket works 100%! easy to access and load without looking or fumbling. Just a big handful of shells in a vest or coat pocket works well too. Several companies make side saddle rigs that work mounted on the receiver. A dedicated Dump pouch with loose shells would work too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use a magazine pouch or a "dump bag". As long as you can secure it to your gear or sling it over your shoulder and it has a flap to keep your shells in and trash out, then anything will work. Magazine pouches, gas mask bags, commercial shotgun pouches. Carrying in a bandolier looks cool but you lose shells, the shells get dirty, and the color stands out. A few shells where you can reach them quick is ok. To mirror Delacroix, a smaller messenger bag would work well.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I use a 12 and 20 round drums to carry my shells. Lol when I use the 870 I use one of the rigid 3 ar mag holders and take the dividers out. They will hold roughly 35 shells.

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
Get one of those surplus army overalls and sew pockets EVERYWHERE

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Been hunting for years; if you're a right handed shooter then dedicate a covered flap pocket on your left side to jamming your hand into and grabbing out shells. I've never been sold on the little pockets that hold the shells when walking fields (pheasant/rabbit hunting) because they lose their elasticity over time and by the time you realize you've lost a bunch it's the same time that you need them. The old GI field jackets work best because you can weasel in a hand even if they're buttoned.

For competition style shooting having a dump pouch that isn't completely open will be better than your normal trap rigs that hold a single box. First 3gun I went to I must've spilled that box of shells on every stage that required shotgun. Best way to go, of course, is shotgun shell caddies -- the kind that holds four in a vertical stack or the neat vertical stack ones you can wear on a belt or bib.

SHTF, 8+1 in the gun and 6 on a side saddle with some slugs in there for people threat. If you need more than that you've certainly bit off more than you can chew. Realistically, that shotgun is going to do more as a gamegetter with 4's, 6's, and slugs in SHTF than any sort of engagement. With that in mind, it'd be best to make sure that you have a 28" barrel and a comfortable sling so you can shoulder it when tired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, I'd suggest a shotgun card. Esstac and HSGI both make them:

Esstac Shotgun Card
or
Accessory | Swat Tactical Gear

They attach to the side of your shotgun with velcro. When it's empty, rip it off and attach a new one. That way you can quickly have a full compliment of shells put right on the side of the shotty without fishing around in pockets. The HSGI cards fit nicely into their Taco pouches.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree that you DO NOT want them exposed on those elastic belts. They'd get dirty and get knocked off. Far better to put them loose in pouches. Personally, I just use U.S. Army issue e-tool pouches for everything: magazines, loose rounds, candy bars, etc. They work great. You can even fit a pistol in them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Or, you can always pick up one of those easy to find SKS ammo chest rig and fit about 5-6 shells in each ammo pocket for a total of about 50-60 shells, each pocket with its own wood button closure and forget about the rest.
That is, if you are really going to use that as your primary and dont mind the chest rig. I prefer the chest rig with the shells neatly organized to a big bulky pouch hanging by my side with who knows how many shells I have left in it any day.

Il post pics of mine soon.

Here the link to pic, hope you all can see it:

http://m.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12590050853/lightbox/
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/12590050853/in/photostream/

I envision a crew/group where some carry rifles while one or two carry a shotgun in this fashion in a, coughshtfcough, scenario as mentioned in op.
Cqc or city type environment in a battle situation, a setup like this with 00buck may come in very handy, I would think. No experince on my part in battle, just pure speculation.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I agree that you DO NOT want them exposed on those elastic belts. They'd get dirty and get knocked off. Far better to put them loose in pouches. Personally, I just use U.S. Army issue e-tool pouches for everything: magazines, loose rounds, candy bars, etc. They work great. You can even fit a pistol in them.
never thought of that,,I'll have to look into that

·
Registered
848 Posts
SAW pouch works well as long as you don't overload it. It's big enough that it's easy to get your hand in there and grab the shells. The snap cover keeps them secure and the additional velcro on the cover allows you to pull some out and not have to resnap and still be pretty secure if you're in a hurry. It has both ALICE clips and a belt loop on the back, so you can use it with mostly anything. They're dirt cheap and tough. The biggest problem is that it's so big, you tend to put too many shells in there and it starts getting too heavy. The obvious solution is to simply not put too many in there in the first place.

A Claymore bag will work, but they aren't exactly made for extended reuse since they were expendable in the first place. They will do that job though. They are easy to get into, have a snap cover that works OK for keeping shells in there. Not the greatest, but for a free bag that you knew you could simply get another one when the one you had wore out, it was good enough. The two pockets allow you to carry two different types of ammo and you only need to undo the snap on the pocket you're using to get your hand in there.

The best cheap old school solution was the USGI shotshell pouches. They're pretty much what those Blackhawk pouches are copied after, but with snaps instead of velcro. I don't know if you can even find USGI ones anymore. M14 mag pouches work, but IMO they're a little harder to use than a SAW pouch because you can't get your hand in there as well. The USGI 20rd M16 pouche that held 4x20rd mags works well because it's shallow enough to make the rounds easy to get to. It's easily opened and resecured. All of those are probably collector items nowdays...lol!

I have no expereince with anything resembling modern field gear, but I'm sure there are plenty of both good and bad designs out there for higher prices. I will echo that the elastic belt loops are BS, and the slings with the loops are even worse.

I'd go with the SAW pouch. Tough, cheap, works, and you can carry a bunch of other crapola in them if you aren't carrying a shotgun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I got a few of these for rabbit hunting from Russia. Works great even through thick brush and woods especially with the flap that cover the shells. Pouches are ok for the hunt but wouldn't want for SHTF as running and movement are a big part of that scenario (load up a pouch half full with loose shells and run for half a minute, you'll see)
h33p.jpg

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Any current source on those?

I got a few of these for rabbit hunting from Russia. Works great even through thick brush and woods especially with the flap that cover the shells. Pouches are ok for the hunt but wouldn't want for SHTF as running and movement are a big part of that scenario (load up a pouch half full with loose shells and run for half a minute, you'll see)
View attachment 3089

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw them on eBay...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts