AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have noticed that there are several companies that make dust covers with HK and AR style sights attached, like the one above. My eyes do better with the longer sight radius. I am faster and more precise. That is one of the things I like about some Valmets and the Galil.

The problem with iron sights mounted on the dustcover is that no matter how tight the dust cover is when you first install it, eventually it will get looser and then the sights move with each removal and re-installation.

The Valmet and the Norenco Hunter solve the problem with a little shelf at the rear of the receiver to help positively locate the dustcover. I have been puzzling on the best way to duplicate this shelf.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
All those dust cover rails seem to not work well.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
You could always weld on a piece simlar to the one on the Krink top cover that mates in with the rear sight hinge pin holes on the standard rear sight base.

Shouldn't be too hard to shape some steel U-channel and make it work. After that mod you would have to grind off the area where the top cover normally engages the rear sight base.

It is one of those 'when I get around to it" projects I thought of, but I enver get around to trying it... :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ak_nut said:
All those dust cover rails seem to not work well.
The rail part of it has no interest to me, I am interested in the iron sights as stated.

The weight of a scope makes a huge difference in the problem but is no concern of mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dawg180 said:
...Shouldn't be too hard to shape some steel U-channel and make it work. After that mod you would have to grind off the area where the top cover normally engages the rear sight base.

It is one of those 'when I get around to it" projects I thought of, but I enver get around to trying it... :wink:
Yes, I have considered how to make it myself, I was hoping to get some words of wisdom from someone that had already had some luck with the idea, good or bad! :lol:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
sights

Azrial, I have figured out a way to have a rear aperature or ghost ring sight on the receiver cover and have a returnable zero with the cover being removed and replaced. I am currently testing my system. It is cheap to impliment and just by buying a couple of spare parts to modify, there are no permanent mods done to your AK. I should be done with it in about three weeks.

·
Technical Advisor
15,595 Posts
I looked at both styles of receiver cover rear sights offered by Blackthorne (the H&K pictured above and the other tactical sight). But at $75 I was concerned about stability as you mention.
I also looked at the Krink receiver cover from K-var but the sight is not as far to the rear and I think I could fab a connection on the existing rear sight block but still not sue it would be rock solid. A Bulgarian spring guide is more positive in lock up than a euro but they are $34 + shipping. Dunno.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?p ... 320&page=1

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I had a Norinco hunter with the cover mounted rear sight, and that receiver cover shelf you mentioned... I hated that setup. It was a huge PITA to field strip, especialy considering how easy an Ak is to work with otherwise. Have you considered mounting a sight to the rear tang? Sort of like the beryl style rails, except it would only mount to the rear trunion. you could still access the receiver cover button, and would never need to remove the sight unless you were changing out the buttstock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally I'd move that forward an inch or so, I'm fond of slapping that spot to reinstall the cover but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
mutineer said:
DPH Arms had a rail that attached to the rear sight.

I think that its a Polish design its called a Beryl mount.
They do, but it does not have a reare iron sight built in, and you have to pull the existing rear iron off to mount it. The OP wants a rear iron, so doesn't exactly work for him.

However, the idea of using the original rear sight area for mounting the topcover kinrk style is a solid one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
rj308, please PM me, I'd LOVE to hear your ideas on this, as well as bounce some ideas off of YOUR noggin!! A longer sight radius is all I want on an AK!!

When my shoulders better, (BTW, Cortisone shot directly into the joint hurts!! Calcified tendonitis was the diagnosis) I'll be working up this next.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

:shock: Heh, heh, heh, the evil I am, combining AR and AK parts!!! :twisted: I have some Pic rail I ordered, but I'm thinking of having a few of these fabbed up from STEEL instead of aluminum and a couple of them for some of my friends here :cool: . Plus, I can then have the height cut to the proper dimensions, instead of shimming it like I did before. Cant wait to test fire that setup!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: sights

rj308 said:
Azrial, I have figured out a way to have a rear aperature or ghost ring sight on the receiver cover and have a returnable zero with the cover being removed and replaced. ....
Thanks, I look forward to seeing your idea!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jk-47 said:
I had a Norinco hunter with the cover mounted rear sight, and that receiver cover shelf you mentioned... I hated that setup. It was a huge PITA to field strip, especialy considering how easy an Ak is to work with otherwise. ....
Really? My buddy has a Hunter and I did not have that hard of a time with his. I found it an acceptable trade off. Frankly I have considered using a Hunter to make a "Chalil" (Chinese-Galil :D ) with that being one of the benefits of the design.
Have you considered mounting a sight to the rear tang? ....
Yes, I am waiting on the Tech Sights to materialize. I am using a Falcon Folder so I still have my tang.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Galils did'nt seem to need any..........................

If you take the time to fit your top cover tight ,i don't think it would be a prob.

My 02 pennies

·
Technical Advisor
15,595 Posts
loner42 said:
Galils did'nt seem to need any..........................

If you take the time to fit your top cover tight ,i don't think it would be a prob.

My 02 pennies
Well a Galil has a heavy receiver cover with reinforced rear and tight lockup spring guide sitting on a nice sturdy milled receiver. Can be duplicated on an AK but not the same set up really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
loner42 said:
..........If you take the time to fit your top cover tight ,i don't think it would be a prob. My 02 pennies
You are right, for a while anyway, then the parts start wearing in and the cover gets easier to fit, then, there goes your repeatability.

The guys with the Krebs rifles with dust cover mounted sights report the same problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Probably the answer is a Beryl style, solid aluminum or steel bar, elevated above the cover, hinged at the back of the rear sight block, that attaches solidly to the rear trunnion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts