AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E German folder in front of me, and know that you put the pistol grip thorugh the sheet metal part on the inside of the receiver. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this is all supposed to work!

Can somone post a pic, or better yet a "section drawing" through the receiver to show how everything goes in. Usually mechanical things are no problem for me, but this one has me freaking stumped!

And at this point, I might even consider a straight trade on a Romy folder for my E German one. Neat as it is, I don't want to have to remove my pistol grip to install it- much prefer the idea of just bolting a folder on like the Romy does.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It all depends.........and on top of that it depends what type of rear trunnion you have on the subject rifle. On a rifle with a trunion that has enough space you have to partially disassemble the stock bracket by sliding down the sheetmetal "cup" and the lever and put the grip nut through the square cut out under the lever tail and insert it through the rear of the receiver as an "assembly". As it goes in further the lever will move up into the hole, the sheet metal "cup" will slide up in it's slots and then eventually the nut will drop through the the cut out in the receiver and life will be good. :cool:

If that doesn't work and you're about to go insane you can also just cut the tail off the lever (making sure you leave the "hook/hinge" portion) and there will be plenty of room for the grip nut then. It just won't be "proper". :wink:

:goof:

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am (er, was) trying to install it on a romanian AK kit buildup. The problem I am having is the lever/pistol grip nut. For the life of me I can't figure out how I am suppsed to either get the lever installed with the sheetmetal part already in the receiver, or get the pistol grip nut installed witht he lever already in the receiver. It certainly doesn't appear that the whole assembly with pistol grip nut in it can be shoved in through the back of the receiver.

In the words of Joaquim Phoenix: It vexes me...I am terribly vexed!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I tried...........if the first paragraph doesn't work for you the second paragraph ought to do it. I forgot to add........it DOES help to have three hands.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put one on a sar -3. i think you might have to take out the pistol grip nut. install it then put in the pistol grip nut over it. I traded the sar-3 so I cant go look.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just moved all my rifles and won't have access to them for a couple of days. I have an EG folder on my stamped build that I did a few years ago. It is a small PITA to install but not all that bad. Don't trade it for a romy folder the EG ones are much better IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Dawg,I'm getting ready to leave for work but the short answer is to push down on the lever from inside of the reciever and slide it back until you have enough room to slip the PG nut into place,then bump the lever forward until it engages the notch.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JOHNO said:
Dawg,I'm getting ready to leave for work but the short answer is to push down on the lever from inside of the reciever and slide it back until you have enough room to slip the PG nut into place,then bump the lever forward until it engages the notch.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

This E German furniture clone has been jinxed from the start. I couldn't find a spring clip for the 1" sling, I had to spend 2 hours grinding down the gas tube in three different places to get it to fit (becuase the damnable plastic uppper handguard WOULD NOT come off no matter what I tried), and about 1" of the tang on the plastic stock snapped off when installing it (although there is engouh left to push in the reciever and moutn the tang screws). I basically had to butcher the furniture to get it to fit.

All this for a lousy pic on your pic contest thread! The things I do for you! :wink:

But it will be worth it when I get the pics on Tuesday. I just might have a winner idea if things work out! :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts