AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cruising the classifieds tonight and i realized that i do about 90% of my gun shopping is done online, the only thing that i buy in the gun store or surrounding sporting goods stores is guns and ammo and the occasional accessory......so how much of your shopping is online based??

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I'm curious as well, in my few purchases I've gone all retail, but I think I will give Henderson's website a try sometime soon. I suspect that a lot of the folks on this forum have done some business on the internet. :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Most of my gun purchases are done online too. I basically only use a gunstore for transfers now.

I have actually seen thier prices on firearms they have instock and then priced them online and 99% of the time I can buy it online, pay for shipping, the gas it takes to get to the gunstore, and pay the transfer fee and still save a decent amount of money....

Accessories and ammo are totally outrageous too. I would much rather support thier business, but I just can't afford to pay thier prices when I can find exactly what I want shipped to my door for less money and in better condition (when talking accessories)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I tend to go into the for sale forums and just look for guys in my state just to do a FTF deal and keep my stuff off the books.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
99.99% online. I've owned 2 brick and mortar retail gunshops .NEVER AGAIN !! The net is killing the small shop owner. I closed the doors on my last shop 9 years ago. I can only imagine how hard it must be to compete with internet sales today. Back then between the net and the so called "kitchen table dealer's" it was a no win situation.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I do try to, but mostly its the 'net. I buy as much ammo, cleaning stuff,
and accesories as I can local. I know its hard on them to try to compete.
The largest gunshop here has opened a range to offset some loss in sales, and it was a good move.

I would say that 90% is done with on line sources. Sometimes I have found a good used firearm local that I can get, but they are getting more scarce.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Almost all is done on-line. I only seem to buy from shops if I stumble onto something I've always wanted - and it's priced right. The last gun I bought at a shop is my 1955 Russian SKS (blued, all stamped & matching - original), paid $279 for it (on consignment). I can't remember the last time I purchased a gun from a store before this - gotta be at least 5 years. It seems that shops out here can't compare to the on-line prices - I figure it's the overhead that's killing the gun stores. Example: Cabela's opened a new superstore in Reno, they had an FNP .45 for $630... I can get one on GB right now for $465... NO CONTEST.... Capitalism can be brutal.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Outside of the purchases I've through this site, I buy all of my firearms retail.

·
Registered
446 Posts
all hunting supplies are purchaced locally. try to put a little money in the local economy. everything else is bought on the internet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As much as I want to purchase my guns online, I cannot find a dealer here that will do transfers for me. There is one shop here in town that I have used a couple of times that only charges $20, but he gets offended if I ask him to transfer something for me that he could have ordered - i.e. if its an old, antique, one-of-a-kind collector gun then he's OK but if it's a brand new S&W then he gets upset. Truthfully, I do understand why he gets upset because he loses the profit he would have made on that particular gun. The other stores in my area want to charge me ridiculous fees to do transfers (one shop wants 20% of what I pay for the gun - that'd be $100 on a $500 gun). I have not darkened that store's doorstep since that day. There's a "kitchen table" FFL down the road that wants 10% - again, too much in my book. Other shops here won't even discuss transfers.

So, I have to ask, how in the world are you guys finding FFLs that will do transfers for you on new guns?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my ffl has no issue with me doing transfers, he has some great hookups and can usually get me some killer deals :twisted: i buy as much as i can from him but he does realize that i buy alot of stuff elsewhere.

my hunting equipment i get locally, except i order my arrows in bulk for cost savings, ammo i get locally because its cheaper than paying shipping, and i buy and or order my guns through my ffl because not only is he a great guy to deal with but it is also a small, family-run gun shop since 1954 and i like keeping his doors open :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
75% shopping, 98% buying.

I'm all for supporting local businesses but c'mon. Local gun retailers prey on the impatient and the uninformed.

Our local FFL charges $10 per item. Most internet buys on NIB items are priced better than local dealers. For example, my S&W 638 came new from a dealer FL. Local dealers priced this item at $439 plus tax. I bought it NIB for $350, plus $10 to the FFL and $25 for shipping.

These guys must not know that pigs get slaughtered.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Most of my shopping is done online, both for firearms and reloading supplies. I have a C&R license but I really haven't saved much money on the milsurp handguns I've bought. Overnight shipping costs are about what it costs me for FFL transfer fee at my local store. It's still neat getting delivery at my front door. I try to support the local store and have bought a few guns and some supplies there. Tough to beat internet pricing and convenience.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Almost all of my research is done online. I end up buying a good percentage online but I most often, if I can, will ask my locals if they can get it or have one. I try and give them all the business I can if its fairly close in money. I will even pay a tad more for them. Often they cannot do me much good on the oddball stuff. But I try and buy a pistol from them from time to time or something.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
All online. The only time I'll buy anything at a gun shop or at a gunshow is when it is unexpected, which rarely happens. Even when buying online, you are still supporting your local shop by that ridiculous fee they charge you for the transfer.

Even technology haters will have to admit that there really isn't a point to shop gunshops when they have the same old stuff 95% of the time. The only times they get anything new is if someone sells on consignment, and when that happens, someone undoubtedly will have already picked it up before you even knew about it. On the internet, someone, somewhere, has to have what you are looking for. It gives you access to the whole country.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts