AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built about 7 AK's from flats last year, I had bent up another 5 - 6 for a rainy day, while cleaning out the garage today I was looking over a few and taking off some surface rust, so I decided to trim the rails and install a front trunion ( I was bored of cleaning, but the wife still thought I was working on the garage...lol ).
I noticed I did trim the right side ( as you would be shooting the gun ) a little more than the other side, but after poping in the front trunion, I noticed if was really off, trunion tilting to one side, more that the slight trim would make it.....so I got to thinking could one side have streatched more than the other while bending the flat ?????......with the holes lined up it cants to the right as you would be shooting the gun.
When I look at it from the top both top rails seem to have the same amount of material on them ???

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
When you break (bend) metal the O.D. stretches the thickness of the metal both ways. Think of it this way....the inside of the bend does not change but the outside of the bend must stretch to make up for the bend. The thicker the metal the more it stretches. However the metal doesnt get longer it just grows out the thickness of the metal.

If you look at a bent piece of steel from the end, the stretched part is shaped like a slice of pie with the pointed end aimed in towards the inside of the bend.

What kind of jig did you use? Do you have photos? Can you get a pair of dial calipers and measure the height of the sides at the front and the rear of the receiver?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, I get some pics tomorrow and measure it up, the receiver is already parked so noticing it by eye made it kinda easy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts