AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my AK's and I'm freaked out that Bidden is going to ban ammo imports. I'm kinda young and haven't been through this before.

Is it wise to pay $500 for 1000 rounds of WOLF? Or should I just chill

·
Registered
192 Posts
I remember when gas went over $1.00 ...people were saying...I'll walk, I won't pay it...

I'd say your late in the game if your looking for ammo...better buy what you can, next year ..IF...you can find it...it'll be four times the price.

Ammo, not ever going to come cheap again.

To many new owners, scared old ones, ...civil unrest, scamdemic, no one working, everyone Wanting, free money in the mail box, less police, more crime, more taxes, less jobs...higher prices...print more free money.

Shooting will take a back seat, who's going to dump $50 worth of ammo from one magazine....that you cannot replace...

If I was you...I'd max out that fiat credit card for some lead and powered....that fiat money worth less next year...ammo...better then gold.

.Get some batteries, and stock up on food.....find a friend in the country out of the city.

Hell is getting ready to come knocking...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seen the same issue with guns and ammo when obama got elected. Once the major conflicts abroad slowed down ammo caught back up and prices dropped back down. Maybe not as well as some would like. So based on the past I expect to see the prices drop back down over the next year or so to way lower than what we are seeing now.

Problem is right now is all the doomers and gloomers out their preaching their end of the (insert whatever) scenario. If you dont have any or much then you have little choice in the matter buy now and get what you can or take a chance and wait and see if prices drop back down. Cant predict the true future so its a hit and miss. As for me I'll wait and see what happens.

Another thought, the left knows that if they hit hard on the anti gun podium they take a huge chance of getting hammered in the mid term. Make no mistake, the left wants to stay in power and biden is already planning his re-election and banning guns, ammo ect.... will cost them greatly.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: "How much is enough....?" Assuming we're talking range ammo and not SD here, enough to get me through the 2022 election cycle at least with a modicum of regular practice.

That being, for me, at least 100 rounds/month (50 rounds every two weeks) of the calibers I carry. That would be the minimum to keep on hand, resupplying as available.

I can keep my skills sharpened with 30 rounds of 7.62x39 a month, although I'd certainly like to shoot more.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you're new to the game, then you can't REALLY miss the good old days. $500 for 1,000 rounds? Do it. Better to cringe now than sweat later. 1,000 rounds make a nice pile. Go get it.
That's right. Pay the rent, feed the kids and make the sacrifice personal.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seen the same issue with guns and ammo when obama got elected. Once the major conflicts abroad slowed down ammo caught back up and prices dropped back down. Maybe not as well as some would like.
In the course of discussing the current shortage, it was pointed out that this country fought several wars and did not have any problem making as much as the military could fire. The response was that military and civilian ammo are made in different factories, never intermix, and are completely separate in all ways, including availability. We are being told that there is a hard ceiling for civilian ammo, and it is physically impossible to make more.
So I am going to take it that this separation occurred between 2009 and 2020.
(Just memorializing an inconsistency or contradiction in the excuses we are being given.)

...enough to get me through the 2022 election cycle at least with a modicum of regular practice.
Better be prepared for it to get MUCH worse between 2022 and 2024.
We have about six actual conservatives in all of congress (as revealed by their actions in certifying the fraudulent electoral votes), and we have to get rid of the rest of them. Say 50% identify themselves as "Republican", but only six stood up for the Constitution and justice. We need to get rid of 50% - 6. The only peaceful way to do that is to vote them out. And not all of them can be flushed in primaries. This was the problem for the last four years. One guy on our side in the executive office, and nearly the entire bunch who are supposed to support his actions, repeatedly betraying him and us. And allowing them to remain in office does nothing but prolong the problem.
We have to be ready for 2022-2024 to be much worse, a lot like 2008-2016. It took two cycles of unacceptable Republican presidential candidates, before the people picked a winner. Now the people need to do that for all the positions in the senate and house. And that involves enduring a communist for a term in office in all of the seats that can not be gained in the primaries.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My goal was 1k rounds per firearm, unfortunately I laxed on .45 and in need. I also just got into 9mm and am lacking there, only 500 rounds. I've always tried to minimize calibers for this reason but just had to have the 9mm. The .45 shortage happened after wallworld stop carrying non hunting ammo. Still kickng myself over not replenishing when it was available and cheap. my .45 cal is now truely a last resort firearm.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I love my AK's and I'm freaked out that Bidden is going to ban ammo imports.
Where'd you hear this nugget? The problem is that it's generally not against the law to import ammunition. He'd have to get a new law past giving him such power. If he does step over the line significantly, it will be taken to court.

I'm kinda young and haven't been through this before.
Most everybody buys when prices are high and doesn't buy when prices are low. Save your money and only buy what you need to shoot in order to get by until prices become reasonable. It's very likely that the Republicans will regain the House in two years. When/if that happens, ammo prices will go down significantly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Historically, these types of ammo shortages and price gouging happen frequently but subside. 2012 with Sandy Hook. 2016 when people thought hillary might be president. This year was probably one of the worst because of Covid, rioting, and the election all working against us. Additionally, with 6 million new gun owners, that means if each new gun owner wants 2 boxes of ammo, ammo suppliers need to produce 600 million rounds of ammo just for the new guys. You can see how this is hard from a supply chain point of view. Also, consider that most ammo suppliers dont have warehouses full of ammo. Warehousing is expensive for many reasons, so most manufacturing facilites (ammo, food, really anything) put that money into predicting supply/demand. If they can predict it, they dont have to store warehouses full of product, they just have adjust production according to demand. This all gets thrown out the window when the situations I listed come into play.

I think realistically we have a pretty good chance of ammo being around the corner, but nothing is guaranteed. It is a personal preference really, do you want to pay twice what we would normally pay for a guarantee at having ammo? Or do you want to wait it out and possibly miss out entirely.

IMO, I think things are going to settle down, so I am not going to buy high. There is the theory that the gun grabbers will start targeting ammo and not guns, so there is that. Either way, we cant tell you how to spend your money, that is your decision.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To much is never enough. Raising 2 kids the last twenty years I bought what was reasonable when I could.

The folks who thought I was nuts are asking to buy from me now and I’m not selling. The only ammo I will sell will be to close a deal on a gun I want to get ride of.

In fact one of the best things I did with my gun collection was limit the number of calibers to minimize the types of ammo I had to have. I sort of lost my way on limiting calibers the past 5 years and doubled my calibers. Now I am going to reduce my gun collection by getting rid of my minor calibers first.

I stopped buying 7.62x39 at $0.26/rd. I don’t ever think you will see that price again. Since your starting now I’d buy what’s available and keep an eye on prices. You will have to learn and adjust to the changing times as will we all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where'd you hear this nugget? The problem is that it's generally not against the law to import ammunition. He'd have to get a new law past giving him such power. If he does step over the line significantly, it will be taken to court.
Well Ive heard people throwing it around in comments and I think that's pretty much it. Now that I think about it - I could have mistaken banning imports of rifles with Ammo.
I guess I got worried that all the good steel case ammo seems to come from Russia (I have never fired brass through my AK.)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

Most everybody buys when prices are high and doesn't buy when prices are low. Save your money and only buy what you need to shoot in order to get by until prices become reasonable. It's very likely that the Republicans will regain the House in two years. When/if that happens, ammo prices will go down significantly.

When was the last time you bought new Chinese ammo at the store?
Has been, and can be done again...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts