AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have owned this book for about a month now. Previously, my go to reference book for AK parts and info was the venerable "AK-47 &74 Kalashnikov Rifles" by Joe Poyer (His SKS Carbine book is great as well), and that book has served me faithfully for a number of years.

Then one day I went onto the internets (Its a series of tubes
) and stumbled across "AK-47 The Grim Reaper" (second edition) by Frank Iannamico. This book is outstanding. It really is a wealth of information about basically any variant of the AK from its inception to 2012, the time of its publication. I have enjoyed reading this book the past month. Not sure if I have just drank some cult Kool-aid here, but it really is in my opinion the best AK read out there. Since the book has been out the better part of 3 years I am sure there are many others that have it, I just wanted to get an idea of who does, and your thoughts about the book.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Several members here helped Frank with the 1st and the updated and corrected 2nd edition. The Poyer book is well known for many inaccuracies.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
If you go to knob creek, the publisher always has a big table, and Frank is usually there signing copies. Thats where I bought mine(signed) and a free year of Small Arms Review for $50

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I have a copy. Its nice having such a quality book this size for a relatively smaller group of collectors.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have both the first and second edition. Great books, I hope the author continues to add to it an comes out with a third edition at some point in time.

·
Technical Advisor
15,614 Posts
A good resource. Quite a few errors in the first edition but mostly solid information. My copy is well "thumbed".

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got one. Amazing book. Now we need a book like this dedicated exclusively to semi-auto AKs for the American civilian market.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have both editions; however, there are other books that can be a wealth of information as well. The Collector Grade Publications AK book, Tokoi Book, and many others. I feel that no one book has everything, so I enjoy a different perspective that various books give. I am from what I am afraid to say what has become the "book generation" (I just coined that phrase) I enjoy the possession of them as a personal library and reference source. Images and words on screen just don't always do it for me. Either way, great books, and I suggest you try others as well.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I only have the first book and am interested in seeing how the corrections turned out in the second book. There are piles of informative books on the AK and I have many of them and I am considering buying the new volume of work from the Neatherlands called the AK encyclopedia, it might just be the king of the hill in information on the Kalshnikov ! KALASHNIKOV ENCYCLOPAEDIA

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have both editions; however, there are other books that can be a wealth of information as well. The Collector Grade Publications AK book, Tokoi Book, and many others. I feel that no one book has everything, so I enjoy a different perspective that various books give. I am from what I am afraid to say what has become the "book generation" (I just coined that phrase) I enjoy the possession of them as a personal library and reference source. Images and words on screen just don't always do it for me. Either way, great books, and I suggest you try others as well.
And if the SHTF and the lights go out and stay out the "images and words on a screen" won't do it for anyone else either since no power = no images and words on screen. A hardcopy backup is ALWAYS worth it for any info. you might find useful at some point, or info that needs passed on to someone maybe not so familiar with the topic.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts