AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was born in 1970. Right in the thick of it. I remember in my early to mid teen's trying to convince my Dad to buy an AR15 to repel the coming commie hoarde's. A different time, that I feel is lost on the younger guy's. Don't get me wrong, I mean absolutely no disrespect. I know a lot of you have served over in the third world shit hole's. For that, you have my undying respect. It was just different thinking about nuclear annihilation.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Born in 1965. I served during the Cold War. I remember running in formation down a pier in Trieste Italy. We passed by a Russian ship singing cadence. They looked at us like we were crazy. Fuck the USSR!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I remember it like it was yesterday. Remember my dad taking me to the Nike anti-aircraft batteries to watch them come up out of the ground and go through practice drills. I remember going to bed the night Kennedy told the Soviets to get their missiles out of Cuba or else. Scared the heck out of me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
kid of the 50's. in elementary school we all received military style dog tags (Had to buy them) so your body could be identified. dad was going to build a bomb shelter, never got past the planning stage.....

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Born in 79 in the USSR. I wish I could say fuck it but I can't. As a child there is no communism vs capitalism there's only school, friends and being able to run around in the summer and sled in the winter. I used to go to chess club and a soccer club. Go with my dad to the movies and the ice cream store in the summer. Watching cartoons before bed ...... Like most kids in other countries.

My parents have photos I'll try to scan some one day and post them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was born in 1965. I remember watching television in the evening and seeing the footage from Vietnam. I saw President Reagan win the Cold War and bring Communism to an end in the USSR, the Berlin Wall torn down, and having to learn all about Sov and Warsaw Pact weapons, equipment and doctrine in the army. We didn't have to learn to "duck and cover" in school for an SS18, but for a tornado. I saw my first bomb shelter in a house that was built in the very early 50's. It had a periscope and a hand-cranked fan for ventilation. We turned it into a waaay cool fort.

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
Yep, and served during that time as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was born in 1965. I remember watching television in the evening and seeing the footage from Vietnam. I saw President Reagan win the Cold War and bring Communism to an end in the USSR, the Berlin Wall torn down, and having to learn all about Sov and Warsaw Pact weapons, equipment and doctrine in the army. We didn't have to learn to "duck and cover" in school for an SS18, but for a tornado. I saw my first bomb shelter in a house that was built in the very early 50's. It had a periscope and a hand-cranked fan for ventilation. We turned it into a waaay cool fort.

·
Registered
21,775 Posts
Born in 1980... I wanted a piece of the Berlin Wall when it came down...........................nobody obliged me. >:/

I'm a freak.. what can I say?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Haha!

Born in 79 in Bulgaria! Hello comrade!

Born in 79 in the USSR. I wish I could say fuck it but I can't. As a child there is no communism vs capitalism there's only school, friends and being able to run around in the summer and sled in the winter. I used to go to chess club and a soccer club. Go with my dad to the movies and the ice cream store in the summer. Watching cartoons before bed ...... Like most kids in other countries.

My parents have photos I'll try to scan some one day and post them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What summed up the cold war for me were the 5 B52's that sat on the alert pad on the end of the runway. Some may find it odd that I found their presence kind of comforting, but they were comforting in a way. Knowing that if we were going to get it, some Russian City was going to get some too. Always lived in a primary target area. Never worried about nuclear war, after all it would over in a flash...

Reactions: Zurn

·
Registered
322 Posts
Grew up next to Loring Air Force base In Northern Maine. Constant drills and alerts. Always worried about nuke strike. Loring was the largest nuke storage repository in the world, Loring even stored other countries nukes. Loring had the longest runways on the east coast as I remember, and a SAC base with B-52's and KC-135 refuelers. All that meant that Loring was one of the primary targets for attack. Did not give me much hope for the future at the time. If I had known I would have lived this long I would have taken better care of myself.:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was born in 1968. I lived about a mile south of Hill AFB (under the runway) F-105s taking off are really, really loud. Glass would rattle and pictures would fall off the wall. In 1980 they got F-16s, much quieter. I remember all the schools had fall out shelters. We had "stop and drop" drills in elementary school. War Games is still one of my favorite movies.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I remember it like it was yesterday. Remember my dad taking me to the Nike anti-aircraft batteries to watch them come up out of the ground and go through practice drills. I remember going to bed the night Kennedy told the Soviets to get their missiles out of Cuba or else. Scared the heck out of me.
Same here, I even got the chance to break into...err...I mean sneak into a Nike site I saw operational as kid, just as it was being readied for demo about twenty years ago. It was mostly intact and dated items I found laying around (newspapers, magazines, etc) showed it was pretty much as it was when deactivated in the early 70's. I had wanted a souvenir but it was a spur of the moment opportunity, I had no tools with me and limited time, I couldn't even get pix. But it was still a blast :)

You might be interested in this, follow the links for recent satellite images of the sites you visited.
But fare warning, seeing the changes will make you feel old.....

List of Nike missile sites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
School would have us kids crouch in the halls with our hands over our heads to protect us from a nuclear blast. Looking back that was a drill in stupidity and ignorance...but who knew?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Born 1959, served 1979-1981 in the "sport subdivision" (wrestling) for about 6 month then 1.5 years "radioactivity and chemical investigation". As far as I remember from my youth years we never learned to hide under the table from nuclear blast, practiced (2 hours a week?) how to take apart AKM, to use gas mask etc. since 4th grade, how to protect yourself from radiation, first aid, etc.
My american uncle visited us in West Ukraine in 68 and 72 and he was very welcome by everybody around(maybe not by kgb :))), crime at that time was next to zero and he would get help from anybody in the middle of the night if he would get lost in the city. Commies propaganda was against military complex and big capitalists but not regular people. My grandmother visited USA in 65 and my mother in 78, it was NOT easy to get those permission, government did not encourage contacts like that.

P.S.Revolutions are made by romantics but rascals always enjoy its fruits.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts