AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes on your 7.62s? Don't see many .30 cals with those types of brakes on 'em. Usually see muzzle nuts or slant brakes. How effective are they?

My wife won't shoot my AKs because of the recoil. She will shoot my ARs, and does enjoy shooting them. So, I thought I'd try a '74 brake to see if it significantly reduces "felt" recoil. Just received the brake yesterday, but have yet to try it out.

Bud

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use one on one of my AKs, and I do think that it lessens perceived recoil. A lot of guys will look at you like an idiot if you put one of these on your 7.62 Ak, but I say "kiss my @$$". If I can screw one of these onto my AK and it helps me with follow up shots by lessening recoil then I think they are great. But then again I am not an AK "collector" I am an AK builder and shooter. Yes I do have 3 AKs hanging on my wall, but that is only so I don't have to dig into one of the safes when I want/need one.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
To each their own :twirl: . I prefer my 7.62's to have slants or muzzle nuts. I'm sort of a purist :wink: ...

Do what you like my friend. :grin:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used one quite a bit on my 7.62 version and really like it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You need to buy an AK74 clone my friend. No recoil and the AK74 brake is correct.

Edited to add: Chicks dig it :twisted:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Yup, chicks most definitely dig an AK-74 :bd:

But seriously.........yes, the US made '74 style brakes in .30 cal do work. My buddy who has a registered Class 3 AKM put one on his and it really helps with mag dumps.

Methinks you still need to add an AK-74 to your armory just for her though. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Templar is right on target with the comment about the 74 brake on a full auto AK. The last time I went to the range, I had put the slant brake on for some pics so that it would look "correct", but I had forgotten how effective the 74 brake was until I started shooting. I promptly put the 74 brake back on! As a side note, my favorite upper for my M16 is a 14.5" HB with a 74 style brake on it. It is a smooth shootin' machinegun!! If you want to see some vids of it in action, go to www.pascagouladcm.com and check the video section. The quality is crappy, but it is easy to see how controlable the 16 is with the 74 brake. BTW, those vids were taken during an arfcom meet, so the AKs didn't get much air time, but that 74 brake on the 16 really pissed off the black rifle purists.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice videos. I can see the reduction of "perceived" recoil. I've got to learn how to bumpfire!

Yeah, I care as much as the next guy about looks, but when I'm at the range, I don't really care what my gun looks like...I want shootability. I can always take off the '74 brake after the shoot.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm a muzzle brake freak and the 74 brake is one of the best. I haven't tried it for a 7.62 but on a 5.45 it's amazing what it does. Rapid fire I can keep the whole mag on the target at 50 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Russians are using the 74 brake as standard equipment on the AK-103s (7.62x39). So it's not like you are putting an A2 flash hider on the end of it. :coffee:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts