AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many loaded 7.62x39 mags were carried by the typical Russian infantry soldier who used an AKM?

How did they replenish their ammo supply while in combat?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
3-4
They used stripper clips and a charging spoon.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
The 7.62 you see on strippers was loaded for the SKS, and the Soviets
had no magazine loading tool for their use.

Those Chinese things with the star on them have no relation to the Soviet load out.

Extra ammo was bundled in paper packages, and mags were loaded by hand.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I thought that there were 6 mags issued to each soldier.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
6 at first, to be certain, with the AK-47, with one in the rifle and 5 in a pouch.

The 5-mag pouches were eventually abandoned for a single 3-cell pouch by the time the AKM was adopted. I don't know why. Maybe for economy?

Here's a scan from the 1952 (Ak-47, not AKM) field manual:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the replies. Since they loaded their mags by hand how was the ammo supply distributed?

In other words, did they have ammo boxes laid out near their positions? was there soldiers responsible for supplying the infantrymen?

Just trying to get a handle on the logistics of keeping an ammo supply at hand....For small squads, or covert missions, I guess it was all you could carry within reason?

·
Super Moderator
10,321 Posts
huntingwildman said:
Appreciate the replies. Since they loaded their mags by hand how was the ammo supply distributed?

In other words, did they have ammo boxes laid out near their positions? was there soldiers responsible for supplying the infantrymen?

Just trying to get a handle on the logistics of keeping an ammo supply at hand....For small squads, or covert missions, I guess it was all you could carry within reason?
Ammo was supplied in spam cans. Rear area had a mechanical hand tool that opened up the can much like your kitchen can opener. On the front line, the supplied hand opener per 2 can crate was the method to open them.

I am sure like any Army, the lowest Private was given the job of opening multiple cans.

Hootbro

·
Banned
698 Posts
Soviet soldiers don't need resupply until after the battle.

Soviet military doctrine is the assault. Troops would be thrown at the objective until it is over-run. Entire divisions might be completely consumed during the assault.

In other words, Soviet troops were not really expected to survive any battle. Follow on troops would hold the ground or continue the assault.

Soviet divisions do not have supply, support or medical units like AMERICAN divisions do.

That is the way they did it in WWII. That is how they do it today and it is the military doctrine of all Commie troops. The same tactics were used in Korea by the Chinese who often commited troopers to battle with NO WEAPONS as they could get one off the battlefield during of after the attack. Same thing from time to time in VN.

This is something to remember because as a civilian your requirement for an ammo load out is like 1 30 round mag. You will not survive any longer than that in any shoot out you get yourself into.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so with or without supply support would it make any sense whatsoever to carry more than 6 loaded mags into a fire fight?

Sometimes I wonder why someone would need to stock-pile a whole lot of mags, (besides collectors, or investment purposes) when it seems you would really only need a few.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
s70fan said:
Soviet soldiers don't need resupply until after the battle.

Soviet military doctrine is the assault. Troops would be thrown at the objective until it is over-run. Entire divisions might be completely consumed during the assault.

In other words, Soviet troops were not really expected to survive any battle. Follow on troops would hold the ground or continue the assault.

Soviet divisions do not have supply, support or medical units like AMERICAN divisions do.

That is the way they did it in WWII. That is how they do it today and it is the military doctrine of all Commie troops. The same tactics were used in Korea by the Chinese who often commited troopers to battle with NO WEAPONS as they could get one off the battlefield during of after the attack. Same thing from time to time in VN.

This is something to remember because as a civilian your requirement for an ammo load out is like 1 30 round mag. You will not survive any longer than that in any shoot out you get yourself into.
Please cite a source for the above information regarding Soviet doctrine post WWII.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Let me rephrase my previous statment- could you recommend some good books (beyond U.S. manuals from the period) that discuss Soviet infantry tactics in the cold war era? It sounds like an interesting topic that I would like to read up on a little more- one of those periods of history I am not as well read on as I would like to be.

My previous post was not meant to sound trite, but upon rereading it I see how it might have been taken that way.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Depends on the era,

From what I have been able to gather at least from the Russian side:
The first mag bags held 5 until the late 50s until the early 60s
The next iteration held 3 magazines.

With the advent of the AK74:
A four cell mag bag was issued but as I understand it it was intended to hold 3 magazines and 4 15 round stripper clips and a charger.

Chest rigs that I have seen held anywhere from 3 to 8 magazines.

Most other countries AK that I have pulled out of the crates have 4 magazines per rifle (Romanian and Egyptian). Some of the Hungarians had 5-6 magazines (if memory serves correctly) depending on the pouch it was shipped with.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think I've seen pictures of Soviet troops in Afghanistan and Chechnya with more than 3, 4, or 5 magazines on their person.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
s70fan said:
I have to disagree :wink:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes, there are always exceptions of course to the above numbers, the pics you saw; were those normal rifle troops or Spetznaz? I guess I should have also mentioned I am not sure what happened into the 90s and afterward. I spent some time awhile back with a FCC Spetznaz unit and their operators carried 8-9 magazines as a basic load for AKM and AK-74. I sometimes still get locked into the cold war numbers.

It is like the average basic load for the US Army changes over time but I was issued 210 rounds and 7 magazines when I went downrange a few years back but I always had 8-10 loaded magazines with me. Some guys carried fewer and some carried as many as 14. Personal load depends a lot on what its user feels he needs in wartime and can scroung up. I can only guess that people have similar thoughts in other armies.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i thought i read from some account of a russian spetz that regular russian infantry were issued 5 but would trade or steal to get more.

eta i thought it was "humping a ruck across sunny afganistan" but it wasnt in there, maybe it was "one soldiers war"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts