AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost all of my cars have had manuals. Many of them 5.0 Mustangs/Capris. Driving an auto just makes me feel somewhat disconnected. So, shout out fellow gearbangers!

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
One here...trucks and motorcycles (obviously) all manuals. I love the control you have over the vehicle and really dislike auto trans...especially the new CVT's. My wife has one in her car and it makes me want to leave it in Nogales near the PoE with the key inside....grrrr. She learned to drive a stick after I bought her that car...

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Haha, I used to be one. Always thought I will never get an auto. Getting old and lazy I guess. These days I am always on the run, eating drinking and talking on the phone while driving, so manual tranny is a no-go anymore. New autos are a lot better than the ones from the ole days too, some cars actually have better MPG and 0-60 times with an auto.
All my toys are still manual though - motorcycles and ATVs.
I will start my kids on manuals too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I love a manual for all the reasons mentioned here. Around here (Dallas) they just don't make sense. Five lane wide traffic jams would eat up a clutch in a year so I'm stuck living with autos for now.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I drive them at work but im too lazy to do it on a daily basis. Besides if I need a designated driver and its my car thats used then I Gotta make sure that person knows how to drive stick. For instance, years ago I got pulled over for a DUI check and while I was not over the limit the cop didnt let me drive home. Township pd rules. The closest people were my parents, only a few miles away. The closest person with knowledge of manual transmission driving was almost 30 miles away. If I had a stick my car would have been towed and I would have been raped for storage and towing fees

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My go-fast car is a stick, but the DD is an auto.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
until recent,i have been a die hard manual fan from my first drive until now. I recently got my first auto. from American(mustang,daytona Shelby Z) to Japanese(240,260,280Z,rx-7TT) to british(tr-6,lotus turbo esprit) to german(2x911,944T,323,M3) to name just a few,they have all been manual,some only came in manual form,others I went out of my way just to get a manual. they have also all been pure sport cars or coupes,now I have my(personal car anyway) first auto and my first sedan(4 door). then there has been a bunch of motorcycles from Japanese to Italian.

the trans in my E34 540I shifts and behaves fairly close to a manual,it even has a "manual" mode where it will stay in gear longer even when coming to a stop. it will fool any bystanders into thinking it's a manual. it also gets better mpg than the manual version. this paticular ZF transmission was the first to be programed and designed this way. even in "economy" mode it will downshift quicker/early when slowing down because it "knows" you may accelerate again right away. it also quickly "learns" your (current) driving mood and shift/downshift accordingly. it doesn't have the - + on the gear lever for shifting though,like the Porsche tiptronic does,which was another early "manual" type auto.

my ZF is a great trans for those weaning off of manuals. why did I go this way? because i'm getting old I guess,there,i said it. to be honest,i got sick and tired of manuals in traffic and I have better things to do with my hands(I don't mean eating,drinking or talking on the phone). my left calf muscle used to be bigger than my right,i'm not kidding.

not all modern autos are created equal though,so,despite what the manufacturer says,do the research properly. there's also several different kinds,not all are technically true automatics.

i still think manuals are great fun though and sort of a more pure form of driving. i respect that,..but imho,manuals will eventually go the way of the dodo bird. you don't have to take my word for that,just look at what's happened in professional racing. unless the rules disqualify them,some form of auto or quasi auto/manual,whether shifting but without a clutch pedal or using paddle shifting,are the ones chosen and not because they are slower and will help them lose. look at le mans and ALMS and many other top forms of racing. so far,the driver still needs to pick exactly when to shift though,that's because of the extreme need for precision for not loosing seconds or milliseconds. for the street,the need is not as extreme.

sorry for the long post. anyway,enjoy the manual. they sure are fun,i've had them since i was 16. i used to think anyone with an auto was a lazy,old bum,now i am that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm die-hard Stick shift. My '99 Dodge Diesel gets right on 20MPG with no mods, a couple friends with autos in identical pickups are getting 16-17 with an auto, 20 only if they do some mods to it.

Better milage, better control, if you ever pull something it's better. And clutch replacement beats a transmission (even if you're careful, put a lot of miles on an older automatic and you'll be changing one).

Plus I just don't like people who can only drive a slushbox :p come ON people at least be able to if you have to.

I am looking for a LTD Crown Vic to put miles on it instead of my diesel and it'll have an auto of course. But I can manage.

P.S. Working on a ranch all (most) of our pickups are stick as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've owned five vehicles, all trucks. First and fourth were stick shift. Really don't care to ever own another.
The first was a three on the tree, without power steering. Nothing like being halfway through turning at an intersection and needing to go from first to second with that setup.
The fourth was a five speed manual and I enjoyed driving that one. Don't miss it though.
Dad made sure we learned to drive sticks first, and I grew up driving old fashioned tractors and later dirtbikes which were all manual shift.
So, I know how, but won't mind if I don't have to clutch and shift again.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Haha, I used to be one. Always thought I will never get an auto. Getting old and lazy I guess. These days I am always on the run, eating drinking and talking on the phone while driving, so manual tranny is a no-go anymore. New autos are a lot better than the ones from the ole days too, some cars actually have better MPG and 0-60 times with an auto.
All my toys are still manual though - motorcycles and ATVs.
I will start my kids on manuals too.

+1000 My R/T has a 6 speed with 4.10 gears. It will run! With the hurst shifter I can shift it just like a manual

·
Registered
523 Posts
Always have had all manuals except for winter beater Jeep Cherokee. Almost all have been one Mustang or another from a 79 to 13.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Manual! My first vehicle was a '74 Ford Ranchero 351C 4bbl w/ a C6, and I had a beater Impala w/ Pglide, but everything else I've had either came with or received a manual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All my vehicles are and have been manual. Always will be, unless I lose a leg. Even the family truckster (2000 Volvo Wagon) is manual.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Currently everything I drive is a manual and most of the vehicles I've owned have been as well. That's changing today though, I'm picking up a new to me Silverado that is an auto. For me it will probably be the end of era since manuals are getting harder and harder to find and I don't buy very often. By the time I'm ready for something else they may not exist at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts