AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/eberles ... rator.aspx

I think on an individual basis this could probably carry most supplies that one would need if bugging out. If one needed more than one could utilize the molle straps. The only thing is the price.... What do you all think? Also think if you have folding stock AK's. They'd be invisible.

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
Looks good, have you checked any reviews on this system to see what backpackers think?
If your going to spend that kind of coin, I"d go with Kifaru. You can build exactly what you want, and their customer service is first rate.
I own the Zulu model with an extreme lid, two long pockets, and the E&E pouch. Fantastic set up, and I can strip the pockets off for a smaller pack when I need to.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've backpacked for over twenty years.

This is a very pricey pack. It looks overly complicated with many possible weak points. I would go with a top loading internal frame pack without a lot of pockets. Simple is more robust. I would suggest you look at anything by Dana Design, Osprey Packs, Arc'teryx, Lowe Alpine or Gregory. If you must go with a military look I'd look at Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.

If you are going to carry a rifle, Kifaru makes a wonderful system to let you carry one simply with quick accessibility.

If you want to save coin, look on eBay. A lot of people try backpacking once or twice and purchase more pack than they need or decide not to continue. You can get a great pack for very little money.

Avoid North Face or Mountainsmith. Quality has gone down substantially.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nu2AKSKS said:
I've backpacked for over twenty years.

This is a very pricey pack. It looks overly complicated with many possible weak points. I would go with a top loading internal frame pack without a lot of pockets. Simple is more robust. I would suggest you look at anything by Dana Design, Osprey Packs, Arc'teryx, Lowe Alpine or Gregory. If you must go with a military look I'd look at Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.

If you are going to carry a rifle, Kifaru makes a wonderful system to let you carry one simply with quick accessibility.

If you want to save coin, look on eBay. A lot of people try backpacking once or twice and purchase more pack than they need or decide not to continue. You can get a great pack for very little money.

Avoid North Face or Mountainsmith. Quality has gone down substantially.
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=59

Something like this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JoeMomma said:
Looks good, have you checked any reviews on this system to see what backpackers think?
If your going to spend that kind of coin, I"d go with Kifaru. You can build exactly what you want, and their customer service is first rate.
I own the Zulu model with an extreme lid, two long pockets, and the E&E pouch. Fantastic set up, and I can strip the pockets off for a smaller pack when I need to.
Is this your "go to" bag? Pretty nice. If so what do you have in it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe a "3 day assault" pack style bag? I just don't see how I can have all of the necessary things I need to bug out with a book bag style pack....

I would need:(everything for 2)
Food (meal replacements, mre's)
Meds (basic over the counter, anti-allergen, and celox!)
Hydration capabilities (camel back capable)
Sanitation (for hydration)
Sanitation (personal)
Extra ammo/ammo carrying capabilities (at east 2 rifle mags, and 5 pistol)
Navigation (compass, GPS, maps.
Communication (radios, laptop)
Space for small main weapon (SBR, folding stock AK)
Aids for elements (ponchos, mylar, maybe sleeping bags)
Space for essential tools (multi-tool, knife, lights, batteries)

Is camping gear considered "go to bag" essentials or no? If so then I know that one, even two packs will not work for all that encompasses camping. Is camping gear isn't required than I guess it might work

Thoughts?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Eberlestock packs are very much good to go. When i was working in Baghdad i owned a gunslinger and had no complaints with the pack, two of my buddies are currently using the M3 Operator packs here and like them as well.

Kifaru makes great kit and i own a pointman and a Maruader, there system for carrying guns sucks though. If you need to pack a long gun imho the eberlestock packs are the best thing on the market currently. YMMV.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looks too military and might raise some eyebrows. I used to use a military surplus pack and everyone that saw it wanted to know what was in it. Including the state police when I went through a roadblock.

I ditched the surplus bag and went with a backpack I bought at the university bookstore. It sticks out less.

Heres a pic, all strapped in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I agree with Infidel and Nu2AKSKS. Discretion is the better part of valor. Looking like a backpacker is better than looking paramilitary, the latter makes you stick out like a sore thumb and you become a target of interest of both the authorities and the goblins.

just my humble opinion.

joedog

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
[/quote]Is this your "go to" bag? Pretty nice. If so what do you have in it?[/quote]

Its what I now use in my unit. I"m an advocate for buggin in, but the area I live in is good for that, some have to bug out.
As for what I load it with...whatever is required for the missions we do. The only thing I have not added yet is the XL Pod that will hold my sleep system.
I use Ott Gear waterproof bags in both long pockets, and the E&E pouch, and the large Ott bag for the main compartment.
The left long pocket hold my regular woobie, and a poncho, the right one holds my Kifaru woobie.
I use my E&E pouch for holding food like broken down MREs, and my Jetboil stove for cooking with two spare bottles.
I"ve never had to fill the main compartment to capacity yet, but there is an assload of room in there. The small pullouts are great for separating your gear so you don"t trash your shit looking for your socks.
Even though I was against getting the extreme lid, my buddy had one in OIF IV and said it would be handy...he was right. Its a great place for a small med kit, shaving gear, small binos ect.

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
American_Infidel said:
Looks too military and might raise some eyebrows. I used to use a military surplus pack and everyone that saw it wanted to know what was in it. Including the state police when I went through a roadblock.

It does make sense to try to blend in, but in a SHTF situation any backpack will be subject to speculation by those authorities who are trying to maintain order, as well as bandits and highwaymen that will be preying on people.
Backpacks will mean food, meds, and valuables to people that are not prepared at all, military, or civilian bags will make little difference in a mass exodus IMO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You're exactly right, in a SHTF scenario, all bets are off. I'll use what ever pack I think is needed to accomplish the job, rifle will be out and in the open. Discretion will not be needed.

But, I pack this bag with me every day in my truck. Even when I am riding with someone else or otherwise in a different vehicle, this pack is with me. Or when I get stuck at work because of the snowstorm, this pack is in the shop with me leaned up against the wall. I want to look like every other sheep out there.

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
American_Infidel said:
You're exactly right, in a SHTF scenario, all bets are off. I'll use what ever pack I think is needed to accomplish the job, rifle will be out and in the open. Discretion will not be needed.

But, I pack this bag with me every day in my truck. Even when I am riding with someone else or otherwise in a different vehicle, this pack is with me. Or when I get stuck at work because of the snowstorm, this pack is in the shop with me leaned up against the wall. I want to look like every other sheep out there.
Looks like were both on the same page on this. :grin:

·
Banned
698 Posts
You would be better off owning $388 worth of beans, rice, flour, lard, sugar and boxed chicken stock.

Bug out bag...the idea is good for a few days. Five gallon pails with lids or any heavy duty carry bag will work.

But a commando jacket? Not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my .02

I would strongly recommend going with an earth tone backpack from REI or some standard outdoor supplier and not military or paramilitary gear. In a true shtf event the military gwear makes you a target.
And if we are talking about a mass exodus, then I will be at home, and not out there with my bug out bag- at that point you are a refugee and nothing more. Showing a weapon is simp[ly asking to be detained.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts