AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one. Its lightly pitted through out, the barrel looks strong until the last inch or so. You can put a bullet in the end and maybe a 1/16 or better is showing but if you push a little goes down a little under 1/16. Other than that finish is about 80% plus and has a few carvings nothing real nice though.

ETA: Took a norinco bullet stuck it in the muzzel turn it to where it cut the bullet and measured it (almost 3/16 between the case and the cut in the bullet). But when you shine a light down the barrel it looks like its been sand blasted). Is this the norm on these kits?

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've heard it's luck of the draw, and that the CFS kits are worse luck, the Cope's Distributing being the better luck.

I'd think about sending it back, if it were mine.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll tell you it wasn't a CFS kit. Before I call them back up on the kit, here's what they said. They are 369.00 the bores are strong just dark in the grooves. When I asked if they were dark because of pits, they said they had light pitting in spots but clean up pretty nice. The bad thing is they were right for about half the barrel. The other half is shot to shit and pittied badly. I just didn't want to call up being an ass if this is the norm and just don't know how well a yugo should look. I've got grades 1,2, & 3 folders and even the 3's barrel looks better. Also they said they had about 35+ and would hand pick the best. Now I've got a receiver and a shit kit I really don't want to build. I'm afraid after a couple of hundred rounds the last half of the barrel will be completely shot out.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just compared it to my new polish gun. I put the same bullet in both barrels. I then turned it to cut a groove. Polish measured 3/16 (line from bottom of crown to the case of the bullet). RPK measure 2/16 same way. I know its worn more but maybe not as bad as I thought, the crown may just be cut lower. I measured with numerous brands and on average they were 2/16 and 3/16. On some it was 3 and 4/16 (winchester) and 1 and 2 using MFS. So agian what do yall think? What bullets are you using for your tests, measuring from end of crown or end of barrel?

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
The bore is most important closer to the muzzle. If you've got the pitting near the muzzle and the crown is worn, it probably won't shoot well.

SOG kit?

I'd send it back.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, It's from Cope's. I had one on order from SOG until I found out it was milled. I was kinda hoping for a little more feed back before I started building. Oh well, I guess if it shoots like hell I'll sell it or get a new barrel made. Thanks for your help Tim, I really didn't want to put this in the general discussion but, maybe I should have. I just started the build tonight and its been hell ever since. I galled the barrel and had to do some touch ups on it, broke the damn tab on the trunnion that holds the hand gaurds in place (welded it back up). I was a little disapointed in the kit but Roger said I could send it back. He said he and another guy checked it with a bullet and it check out fine. I'll let you know how it shoots this weekend. Hopefully it will do alright, except for the last inch I would say it looks fair. I just really wanted a yugo RPK and was running out of options. I know where a M90 is but he wants 1700 for it. If this one turns out to be a worthless bullet hose I may sell it and offer the guy a grand for it. Wish me luck because there's no turning back now that I've already started the build. Worst case I'll keep it for a piece of history and build a romy or bulgy to shoot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well the one I got from CFS was excellent.

I was upset I missed out on the Copes kits so I called Jane at CFS.

She hooked me up with a M72 with a excellent barrel.

I would build it and see how she shoots, my Yugo UF barrel looks terrible, but she shoots great.

Good luck

FREE

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got one of the CFS kit last year, it was mismatched, but the barrel was near excellent with a little pitting about an 1 1/2 inches inside of the bore. The first kit I got was total crap, the replacement was excellent shape otherwise. The bolt, carrier and topcover match, the its not the same no. as the trunnion. I finished it using a coldsteel blank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts