How hard is it to find one?

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I need to keep looking!

I got 2 Russian AK47 kits and now am looking for the AKM.

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I got one off of G.B. a few weeks back. That is the only site I have found them on, but check the site boards & other auctions. They are getting pricey. Good score on the T2, I look at that one also.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't mind me asking...

What did you pay for it?

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I figured!

Don't really have to sit. I paid $500 for my AK47 kit.

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
That's about the going rate these days - I paid $450 for a T3 Mint barell and all matching parts, but the T3 wood was gone. :sad: and I paid 365 for a pretty nice underfolder kit.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
the only thing that even says these are a Russian AKM is the arsenal mark on the trunion. the rest of the parts are indistinguishable from a Romanian parts kit. I for one don't understand the crazy prices you folks are paying for them just to have a trunion that has a Russian arsenal mark.

If I wanted a Russian AKM look-alike, I would put some thought into seeing if you can take a Romanian AKM trunion, fill in the serial number on that, by welding it over, then have somebody engrave to stamp a Tula star, or Ishvesk arsenal stamp, year and the serial number that was original on there. I'm betting somehwere out there somebody can do that kind of metal work, if you send them a good picture of what a russian AKM stamp on a trunion looks like.

As a matter of fact, I have 2 Romanian AKM parts kit that have a blank triangle, the year, and serial number on the trunion. all it needs is a arrow with the feathers in that blank triangle, and it will look just like a Ishvesk arsenal mark. the other 3 parts kit I got have the arrow without the feathers in the triangle

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caligula,

Want to sell me a kit with the arrow in the triangle?

Hell, I rather pay $100 for a kit with no feathers than $800+ for extra feathers!!!

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible to put Russian AKM furnitire on the Romanian AKM?

I don't like the pistol grip under the barel.

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
HuliganRS said:
Caligula,

Want to sell me a kit with the arrow in the triangle?

Hell, I rather pay $100 for a kit with no feathers than $800+ for extra feathers!!!

Thanks!

Rusty.
Those kits are my replacements parts for my other AKMs. Romanian parts are still available most anywhere for around 110 dollars. I'm sure you can ask them to send you one with the arrow in the triangle.

HuliganRS said:
Is it possible to put Russian AKM furnitire on the Romanian AKM?
Yes you can

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Caligula said:
the only thing that even says these are a Russian AKM is the arsenal mark on the trunion. the rest of the parts are indistinguishable from a Romanian parts kit. I for one don't understand the crazy prices you folks are paying for them just to have a trunion that has a Russian arsenal mark.

If I wanted a Russian AKM look-alike, I would put some thought into seeing if you can take a Romanian AKM trunion, fill in the serial number on that, by welding it over, then have somebody engrave to stamp a Tula star, or Ishvesk arsenal stamp, year and the serial number that was original on there. I'm betting somehwere out there somebody can do that kind of metal work, if you send them a good picture of what a russian AKM stamp on a trunion looks like.

As a matter of fact, I have 2 Romanian AKM parts kit that have a blank triangle, the year, and serial number on the trunion. all it needs is a arrow with the feathers in that blank triangle, and it will look just like a Ishvesk arsenal mark. the other 3 parts kit I got have the arrow without the feathers in the triangle
Well, that is good for a close clone and if thats enough for you, then great..

Besides the quality, there are little differences between the kits.... The Russians changed allot of parts over the years, and these are not always reflected in Romanian (or others) production..

Of course, I would not pay $500-800 for a Russian kit either; I bought all mine when $250 would get you a handpicked underfolder.....

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If I was collecting them when they were $250.00 I would have bought quite a few. I pretty sure that's where these are coming from. But I started recently. I am confused if all my parts are matching #, russian wood, how could it be a romy fill in? I have a romy kit it is not the same as my russian. It is hand pick and not the ones with the black stripe on the buttstock.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
sasm7 said:
If I was collecting them when they were $250.00 I would have bought quite a few. I pretty sure that's where these are coming from. But I started recently. I am confused if all my parts are matching #, russian wood, how could it be a romy fill in? I have a romy kit it is not the same as my russian. It is hand pick and not the ones with the black stripe on the buttstock.
Stand in, yes it would be fine or close (depending on year of kit, etc)..

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
sasm7 said:
So it has a triangle blank, 1983S date. It is a alittle outdated?
For a Russian one? The Japanses AK book I have shows a AKM that is dated 1978. I believe the Russian were still making AKMs and 74s both during the same period, wouldn't surpise me that AKM production reached well into the 80s, for their reserves etc.... There still had a awful lot of 7.62 ammo stock piled.

In fact, a lot of the pictures in the book of different East Bloc countries, most of the AKM series of rifles have 80s dates to them.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
What book is that? The japanese book on ak's, is that the name of it? I have the kalashnikov rifles & thier variations.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
sasm7 said:
What book is that? The japanese book on ak's, is that the name of it?
Yes, that is the book. It's titled is AK-47 & KALASHNIKOV VARIATION by Masami Tokoi. Actually it's a very good reference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts