AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll likley be getting my first Ak (7.62x39 calibre) in the next 2-3 weeks and have been giving the Romanian WASR's a look. Thing is, seems some guys on other AK discussion boards kind of look down on them.

Is there anything seriously wrong with a Romanian AK? I mean - price seems right (anywhere from $ 300- 340 for the rifle a couple of mags and some misc stuff).

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, welcome to AK's!

Ok.......here's my take on the Romanian WASR's that Century sells.

Most of them are just fine. There are some fairly common things that usually need some tweaking though.

It's not uncommon for the front sight to be installed with some cant in it, which means you may have to adjust your front sight over to zero it.

Because these rifle come into the country with a receiver desiged for a single stack magazine, they have to be opened up to accept a standard military magazine. Sometimes this is done just fine, other times it makes the magazines fit loosely in the receiver, giving you more wobble.

The fit and finish on the WASR's is generally kinda crappy, but that doesn't make them shoot any better or worse.

Overall, the WASR's are usually pretty good entry level AK's.

I will say that if you can affor about $100-$150 more or so, I'd highly recommend a Vector fixed stock AKM. They are usually much nicer rifles and they have 5 year warranties. Atlantic Arms usually has some.

I'm the kind of guy that will put more into something up front because I've learned hte hard way that's usually the best way to save money, after having to fix stuff bought less expensively.

Hope that helps! :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
OT, but WOW!!! Someone asks a question and gets an excellent answer instead of "Use search" or something equally innane....I love this site!!! :grin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ones I have shot have run everywhere from pretty good to down right suckarific.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would suggest a Mak 90 if you can find one reasonably...Better rifle and making it 922 compliant is easier than fixing crooked sites and gas block and trigger slap that are common on WASR's...For a little extra scratch you could get a Vector or something similar..Remember you get what you pay for.. :wink:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have a 2003 WASR-10 and in all honest, I have never had an issue with it. The gas tube and front sight were straight, and I've never had to do any sort of 'work' on it. Every magazine that I've put into it has fit just fine (though Polish poly magazines were a bit tight).

In my opinion, as long as you look over the rifle and check for obvious flaws, you shouldn't have a problem!

-GreatWarAZ

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
ive got a wasr-10,...not the best looking rifle,.. but runs flawless. mag wobble is a problem with the older beat to shit mags i have,... but the newer un abused mags fit just fine.

get your hands on a few diffrent AK's before you pick one,...

i agree that wasr's are great entry AK's,....
i lovenly refer to mine as the "ugly girl that always puts out" :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an SAR-1 that I've done some work to. Replaced the stock set with a KVAR setup and replaced the awful FCG with a Red Star Arms setup. It's alot better than the out of the boxer I bought. The fit and finish is garbage to say the least. Mags wobble, but it goes bang everytime. Not a show piece, but just an AK. It's one of those weapons you don't feel bad about tossing into you trunk.:eek:

If you want a nicer AK try finding a Norinco MAK-90. Much nicer weapon and you can usually find them used for around the same price. Much better fit and finish and no issues with the canted sights, or trigger slap.

Anyway here's a pic of Romy. If you want to spend a few more dollars on one and fix em up there are plenty of aftermarket goodies for the SAR's. Which is just the opposite for the Norinco's.

Before the makeover.....

After the makeover.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say it would depend some on who dose the build. I got a Romy for Christmas from a buddy in NE Texas who is constantly building for himself and friends and it is gorgeous, has an awesome trigger and the sites are fine (though due to my eyes Im going to be putting a red dot scope on it since I have a hell of a time with iron sites anymore) and it is an absolutely awesome gun and the mags fit perfect in it with no play but also not to snug so as to make them a PITA to put in and out. I would say unless you are building it your self get your hands on it first and make sure everything is good on it and if so then I cant see how you could be disapointed with a Romy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought a Romy WASR10. I took it out yesterday for the first time aqnd was very happy with its performance. It is accurate and seems to go bang every time. The woodwork is crap, so a refinishing job is in my future. I think it was well-worth the $300 I paid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I own a SAR1, 2 and like them both very much. I have no experiance with the WASR's. The SAR series has some small problems, but over all a good lower priced AK. A little off topic, but like I said the SAR's are the only Romie's I have experiance with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Buying an AK

My WASR 10 has no problems at all,$400.00 with tx OTD.My only problem is I can't decide what to put on it next. :grin:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Get a JOEKEN!

Don't gasp. JoeKen has gotten some REALLY bad feedback online, but if you get a good build then you will love it. How do you get a good build? Go to a good gun show. Often vendors will have several out on display, and on these you can check the rifles finish and all before buying, which eliminates the problems others have.

The Romanian ones go for $390 and up- which is barely $40 more than a WASR- but they have the foreward front pistol grip, thicker recievers, a nicer finish and- because the reciever is US made and counts as a compliance part- they have the original Romanian pistol grip, which makes the gun look even better. Go to a gun show and find one, they are great guns if you get the right kinds.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
They are good enough. I have built my own and have not been disappointed. At this time it is my opinion that they are a real bargain, most kits are NEW, and are still plentiful. I recommend to anyone that is interested in taking up building to start with a Rommy, no sense screwing up a $300 kit as a learning experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well own a sar 1 and just sold a sar 2, i also have a G kit being bult up buy -DukeNukem-, i have a freind that has a wasr and it has had no problems its a 04 i think or 03 dont rember which. its runs ever bit as well as my sar. i think there a great buy for the money if somebody is new and just getting into firearms, them and the sks cant be beat. are the as nice as my polish underfolder..no do they go bang when you pull the trigger yes.

i have one freind that hunts wiht his, single stack he has. does what he wants.

Ronald

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Spend the extra few $$ and get a SAR.

Just my 0.02.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts