AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one summer 2007 when they came out, with the intent to eventually NFA it. The 5.45mm AK-105 is high on my want list, but I'm not sure if it can be done on my SAR-2 (will a Bulgarian trunnion fit a Romanian receiver?)

Anyway, I'm curious how the 7.62x39 AK-104 shoots. How much velocity do you lose by going to 12"? I have a K-VAR "Red Bull can" brake standing by if I decide to Form 1 this rifle. How bad is muzzle flash compared to a 16" AK?
The K-VAR brake weighs close to 8 oz so I'm sure it will keep muzzle rise down. :goof:

·
Registered
422 Posts
You lose about 150 fps by cutting the barrel 4 inches. Not a big deal. I really like mine... I'm gonna put a can on it. With the Bulgy 4 piece hider, I get no flash out of my SLR-107CR.

As for the SAR-2... that would be a difficult conversion, because the diameter of the barrel of the SAR 2 isnt the same as the diameter of the FSB that you would need for an AK105 conversion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

If I could have one AK, and one only, the AK-105 would be it. Might have to think about a 5.45 Krink.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
i am also eyeing up a 107cr for an sbr conversion. however i do have a 12" 5.45. i know the answer, but am going to ask anyway-do i need a 12" 7.62 in addition to the 5.45 version? i would put the beer can hider on it so at least they would be superficially different....

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
senorlinc said:
do i need
What does "need" have to do with it? If you want it and everything else is taken care of, then get what you want.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bret said:
senorlinc said:
do i need
What does "need" have to do with it? If you want it and everything else is taken care of, then get what you want.
excellent point. i was thinking more like how is a 7.62 going to perform with a 12" barrel? i read about a guess in the loss in velocity. how badly will accuracy be effected? will recoil be managable for follow up shots?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Accuracy won't be affected.

I think the heavier .30 cal round will be more effective from a shorter barrel, especially if you use some Winchester 123 gr. JSP's or some Military Classic JHP's.

Recoil, I don't think there's enough to worry about.

Get one. :twisted:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Templar said:

Get one. :twisted:
templar, i love how i let you guys spend my money....New question and applogies for distracting this way OT but....i have a 107FR, crooked sights and old flash hider...can i just (get ny paperwork, then) chop the barrel? i know it'd be easier with a 107CR but this FR needs work anyway and i have a ak103 in the stable already...

·
Registered
212 Posts
As long as the Form I you submit is for the 107FR, you can do whatever you want with it, within the limits of the approved Form I. In other words, yes, you can SBR it. Granted, you'll need the appropriate gas block/front sight block...

·
Registered
392 Posts
sturmgrenadiere said:
As long as the Form I you submit is for the 107FR, you can do whatever you want with it, within the limits of the approved Form I. In other words, yes, you can SBR it. Granted, you'll need the appropriate gas block/front sight block...

have gone down the form 1 road before, in fact i tweaked my revokable living trust today (hopefully tweaked it correctly) i know the actual physical conversion process would seem easier with the 107CR as it already has the correst fsb/gas block---form 1, engrave, chop, crown bada bing. i tried to grab the gb/fsb on sale from kvar this week whilst they were on sale- but shock of shock, they were sold out. will have to search else where, looks like ill have some time as rumour is the ATF is quite backlogged with paperwork right now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts