AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have two romy G kits and i was wondering what is the best method for removing the G on the side of the trunnion??

·
Registered
742 Posts
you mean on the rear sight block? simpliest way is to fill them with epoxy and clean flat, not recommanded if you are going to refinish the rifle with bluing as epoxy wont take blue at all. you can also mill or even sand it out but that reduces thickness on that side which feels awkard to me. best possible way around is to weld it up and buff flat, or press everything off barrel and put on another rear sight block without the G.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
nalioth said:
Depending on the year model, the "G" isn't imprinted very deeply.

It can be sanded off w/o losing any thickness.
I had one that was VERY deep. I just left it on that one. I also had one that was just painted on, totally lucked out on that one.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The earlier ones seemed to be deeper to me. The few later ones I have handled were not as deeply engraved as I recall. (82,83,84 etc.)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one kit i havent even pulled out yet, but the other one is dated 1977, could i just take this to a competant welder and have it welded in? then just smooth it out with a fine dremel or something?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Welding will definetly give you heat tempering lines. I have Tig welded Gs using minor amounts of filler rod in a deep engraved Gs. Then machined the raised weld back to level. What you end up with following is an odd larger G seen through heat distortions after a fresh parkerized finish. As long as you topcoat the parkerize with paint like GunKote, Duracoat, etc. you will never see the weld job.

Just flap sanding the G down followed by Alu/Ox media blasting will still show something odd where the G was unless you topcoat a real thick coat of paint. One other thought, just milling the rear sight base down to remove the G you still have to deal with the area of the Gas Tube Latch and not leaving a machining line. If you plan on replacing the Gas Tube Latch then machine it right off and this would be one of the quickest ways to remove the G.

The welding and milling flat the weld has worked the best for me or leave the G what the hell thats what the gun really is anyway.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Gary at Overland Industries took the G off of the Romy G kit that he built for me. I am not sure how he did it but it looks good. Maybe you could shoot him a line and find what method he used. My kit was a '78, by the way.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I either sand them off then blast the hell out of it then hot blue (barely noticable on my worst one)... Typically I'll run over it with a TIG using .035 MIG wire as a filler (very sparingly) sand it back down, blast the hell out of it then hot blue and nobody ever knows it was there. It's not seen at all through the finish... Just make sure you use carbon steel filler metal...

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Those "G" marks are very ghetto looking aren't they?

Someone once, on one of the boards, was joking about the varying quality of Kalashnikov workmanship from country to country, and said that the Romanians must not have gotten the "artisan gene".

(Just a joke, Romanians. :smile: )

·
Registered
111 Posts
Embrace the "G." I painted mine glossy red. It sets it apart from all my other rifles. Why not? I might even paint the black stripe back on the buttstock.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I leave its part of the history of the gun. Most are stamped light enough that with a bead blast and duracoat you can hardly tell its there....

·
Registered
129 Posts
From just looking at various Romanian "G" kits over the past few years, the earliest rifles from approx. 1976 to around 1980 have the "G" machine engraved into the rear sight-block. The later rifles, from around 1981 to 1986 are not engraved, mostly only electro-penciled, and half-assed at that, if not simply painted with an orange "G" (badly).

This change was probably done to save time and money, something the Romanian Communists were in short supply of in the post-1980 period.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Use it for teaching your children the Alphabet...

"See kids "G" is for GUN, it's right here on this GUN"

:lol:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I carefully ground mine out with a Dremmel, finished up with coarse, then fine sandpaper drum. After a GunKoat refinish? You would never know it had been there.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I just took an Exacto and flecked the paint away. Then it's not so glaring.

Lump

1 - 20 of 30 Posts