AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty removing the rear top cover from my VZ58. I even read the manual and looked at the photos several times. Then compared it to the line drawing and my cover from my spare parts set.

I press towards the muzzle and up, and the cover pops up a little (just like the manual photo). From there, nothing (even a rubber mallet) has worked tgo get it out. The best I can do is push it forward with all my might, then the cover falls into the receiver and gets wedged.

I don't get it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that striker will stop the cover from going forward and the pin must be pulled out far enough.
Dano

·
Super Moderator
10,320 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
try checking the chamber and then dry firing rifle. the topcover won't come out if the striker is cocked.
+1

Learned that today also trying to field strip my SER IV rifle for the first time. If you are having to force something, then you are doing it wrong.

Hootbro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have the pin fully pulled, but did not dry fire it first. That made all the difference in the world. Went from frustration to popping off so easy that I wanted to cry...

Thanks again, AKFORUM!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
...and your post brings up a DAMN good problem:

What to do if your striker gets stuck :) hmmmm - rather tough to pop the topcover & fix the issue, right?

I would love to get suggestions from others... this HAPPENED to me, and I got lucky with repeated rackings.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can get in there through the hole for the buttstock and push the sear down to release the stricker. That is what I did.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could unscrew the butt stock off and try and slip a small screw driver through the screw hole in order to try and depress the sear. With the sear depressed and the rifle barrel pointed down, the striker may move forward enough to allow for a push.
Dano

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Or you could take off pistol grip and pull sear down with a pick. Usually putting the safety on and off will fix it though. The problem is usually caused by a burr on sear or disconnector and sometimes they wont pop back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts