AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was 200 units in stock when I looked a second ago... How is this ammo? I'd love to see some actual .556 at this price but... This appears to be the cheapest .223 anywhere right now?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/tula/1000-rd-case-223-fmj-55-grain-tula-steel-case-ammo

Edit to add: I meant "this .223 ammo" in the title (just to be clear), it wasn't meant to generalize all .223 ammo. Thinking about grabbing a case or two but wanted to hear some thoughts on it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
It's fine...a little dirty and the neck doesn't expand like brass (the case with all steel cased ammo) so some carbon will blow back between the chamber and case walls. This can lead to reducing the chamber dimensions over time as the carbon builds up and can cause stoppages. Some people used to confuse this with the lacquer on older Wolf causing rounds to stick in the chamber. Regardless, it's a non-issue for range ammo in an AR and ultimately will no lead to stoppages until over 1200ish rnds in a Colt 6920 in my experience. A chamber brush and 2 minutes and you're back to new.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It's fine...a little dirty and the neck doesn't expand like brass (the case with all steel cased ammo) so some carbon will blow back between the chamber and case walls. This can lead to reducing the chamber dimensions over time as the carbon builds up and can cause stoppages. Some people used to confuse this with the lacquer on older Wolf causing rounds to stick in the chamber. Regardless, it's a non-issue for range ammo in an AR and ultimately will no lead to stoppages until over 1200ish rnds in a Colt 6920 in my experience. A chamber brush and 2 minutes and you're back to new.
Nice review, but my one and only concern with using Eastern Block ammo is the extractor and steel cased ammo. Maybe its an interweb myth but I do recall people years ago using wolf ammo in AR platforms seeing deformation of the extractor. Any current thoughts about that? I would figure that the extractor would also be heat-treated and be just as hard as the rest of the gun's internal working parts.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Two thoughts on that. One...the steel used in steel cased ammo is very soft in comparison to the heat treated steel in an extractor. And two...you could buy a new extractor for every case of ammo you buy and still save money. That said, I put over 10k rnds of Wolf/Tulammo through the Colt 6920 I had over the course of a few years and never had to replace the bolt or extractor.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've shot around 2k of the .223 Tulammo so far. For the money it's great. I've had two broken rims in my SLR-106 that were within a few hundred rounds of each other using Tulammo. Other than that it has been just like any other steel case ammo.

There is a good study, and a few reports that found the bi-metal jacket will wear your barrel faster. For this reason, I won't shoot it in my SLR-106 anymore because to replace a barrel costs a lot of money and time to do. Probably $400 with shipping, parts, labor. I'm going to keep shooting it in my AR because I can replace the barrel myself for half that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice review, but my one and only concern with using Eastern Block ammo is the extractor and steel cased ammo. Maybe its an interweb myth but I do recall people years ago using wolf ammo in AR platforms seeing deformation of the extractor. Any current thoughts about that? I would figure that the extractor would also be heat-treated and be just as hard as the rest of the gun's internal working parts.
Brass expands faster and at lower temperatures than steel. Steel does cause more friction...I'm not Mr Wizard but to me its a wash. My Colt 6920, LWRC, and Sig 716 do not have problems with steel case ammo.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Its mostly myth. The steel in the casing is a lot softer than the extractor. The problem is when people start in with......"An AR is an AR why buy a Colt/DD/Noveske/Knights etc etc when I can buy a DoubleStar/CAI/Bushy/Windham...etc..etc and save money" If my extractor broke it must be the ammo. No one ever thinks that maybe the part is sub par/ Well you dont save money on just the name. Not all parts are created equal. So that pot metal extractor is good enough until it isnt

·
Banned
950 Posts
Works great in my 106 series AK's. Not so much in Colt's though. It works, just a little underpowered, dirty, and causes malfs in the AR's once the carbon builds up. However it is cheap and you can plink with it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the the replies. It didn't sell as fast as I thought it would but its gone now and I snoozed. I may pick up a case next time. I am hoping some of the higher quality stuff will continue to drop.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Here is a good review of some new affordable .223 ammo,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts