AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a 106 UR, or 107 UR and going the SBR route. A lot of people have been telling me that the107 doesn't bite as hard as I think. I talked to another guy today at my local GS, and he said that if I SBR'd it that it would kick like a mule. Now I don't believe this, but with the barrel being so short, and the gun being so light it kind of makes me wonder if I should get the 106 UR instead. The thing is that nit too long ago I was reading about 106 F series rifles having feeding problems. Is this particular t the 106 F, or the entire 106 series? I want to train CQB style training, and I think the 106 R might be better than the 107 for this. Please correct me when i am wrong. I am not looking for a super gun, something that will have plenty of stopping power, acceptable combat accuracy (at least to 150 meters), and ease of follow up shots. I know that with training I can accomplish almost anything with any weapon, the problem is I spend all the $$$ on guns.... This is why i am leaning towards the 106 UR. I think that because of the lower recoil impulse that it would be easier for me to use this weapon effectively if need be. I am not small btw, just inexperienced with long guns. I am 6'1 180 lbs. Would the 107 UR be too much, or is the 106 UR just right....?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Cutting the barrel will not affect recoil.

I am contemplating the same thing right now and My research leads me to the 107.

The 106 has a bad rep.

If your that concerned about recoil get a 5.45 bulgy krink kit built.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flyingjibus said:
Cutting the barrel will not affect recoil.

I am contemplating the same thing right now and My research leads me to the 107.

The 106 has a bad rep.

If your that concerned about recoil get a 5.45 bulgy krink kit built.
This is the first one I wanted, but I don't know how plentiful 5.45 is. I know there is tons of it right now but I heard that at one time it had dried up and was very scarce. I don't know the details, as well as the cyclical rate of foreign munitions importation, but this is what I have found/heard. Also because I always have practicality in mind, and I know that in a SHTF situation I am more likely to find .223, and 7.62x39 over 5.45, from which I understand is only made over seas. If we made it ourselves then I would've got the 5.45 a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Go with the 107. Terminal performance with a 5.56 out of a 8" or 10" barrel is going to be abysmal. Not saying it can't be lethal but the 7.62x39 is a better SBR round (IMO).
If there is more recoil from my 10" yugo, I don't notice it. You won't either.
Both will get the job done to an extent, but the 7.62 will get it done better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delta-3 said:
Go with the 107. Terminal performance with a 5.56 out of a 8" or 10" barrel is going to be abysmal. Not saying it can't be lethal but the 7.62x39 is a better SBR round (IMO).
What about accuracy out to 100 meters? Follow up shots, double taps?

·
Banned
2,035 Posts
Delta-3 said:
I agree with Delta . 7.62's not nearly as velocity dependant as 5.56 . I could hit the fender I was aiming at @ 100yd's with my Bulgy x39 krink .

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
With my yugo, off the bench I can consistantly hit a 18" gong at 200 yds. It's much more accurate than I thought it would be.

I run a few different CQB drills every month with it & double taps are no problem. Especially inside of 30 yds. What's nice about the 7.62 is you may not need to double tap but I'm a believer in an "insurance" round just to make sure. :twisted:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Delta-3 said:
With my yugo, off the bench I can consistantly hit a 18" gong at 200 yds. It's much more accurate than I thought it would be.

I run a few different CQB drills every month with it & double taps are no problem. Especially inside of 30 yds. What's nice about the 7.62 is you may not need to double tap but I'm a believer in an "insurance" round just to make sure. :twisted:
Awesome, you are slowly convincing me.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
5.45 is currently much cheaper than 5.56 or 7.62x39. I'd say go for the 5.45x39 kit build. That's what I have. And it is accurate out to 100 yards at least.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you're concerned about future availability of 5.45, I'd suggest stocking up little by little over time. It's a great round, and the milsurp is very cheap at the moment. The supply of milsurp seems to be good too - though there are a number of options like Wolf, Golden Tiger etc. if you want to stay on the non-corrosive side of the isle.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I've hard somewhere that a few million rounds of 5.45x39 milsurp ammo is being imported a month.

I've also heard that there will soon be a shipment of around ten million rounds of possibly East German ammo. I don't know if this is going ot happen or not, but I heard it somewhere.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The 7.62x39mm performs better out of a short barrel than the 5.45, and while ammo may be available now, if Russian ammo goes away we're done (and it might with the current chain of events). The only stuff left is Bulgarian surplus outside of the Russian stuff and that will dry up. The only way to make reloadable cases for 5.45 now is by reforming .222 brass, which has common problems with neck and case fractures when this is done. There are no current suppliers of 5.45 outside of surplus and Russia.

On the other hand, 7.62x39mm is made in and imported from Serbia, Italy (Fiocchi), America (Remington and Winchester), Romania (HotShot), Korea (PMC) and a few other countries. Not only is it still made, it is still made in a host of countries- and in the US- meaning it is available even if imports go bye bye. Plus, the Italian, Korean and US stuff- while it is expensive as heck- is also reloadable.

Better performance and better supply even in the long run... plus, magazines and parts are far cheaper (and still in production). I own a M-92 Krink (7.62x39mm) and I love the thing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Q-gunner2 said:
The 7.62x39mm performs better out of a short barrel than the 5.45, and while ammo may be available now, if Russian ammo goes away we're done (and it might with the current chain of events). The only stuff left is Bulgarian surplus outside of the Russian stuff and that will dry up. The only way to make reloadable cases for 5.45 now is by reforming .222 brass, which has common problems with neck and case fractures when this is done. There are no current suppliers of 5.45 outside of surplus and Russia.

On the other hand, 7.62x39mm is made in and imported from Serbia, Italy (Fiocchi), America (Remington and Winchester), Romania (HotShot), Korea (PMC) and a few other countries. Not only is it still made, it is still made in a host of countries- and in the US- meaning it is available even if imports go bye bye. Plus, the Italian, Korean and US stuff- while it is expensive as heck- is also reloadable.

Better performance and better supply even in the long run... plus, magazines and parts are far cheaper (and still in production). I own a M-92 Krink (7.62x39mm) and I love the thing.
OK that's it. It's done then! Thank you all for your time in helping me with my decision. I don't know how long the whole SBR endeavor takes but when it's done I will post pics, RR, and all that jazz.

But feel free to continue contributing to the thread if there's anything else.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
my 5.45 krink gets 5" groups at 100yds, the sloppy flash hider doesn't help stability.

The recoil is almost nothing as well.

5.45 all the way. Stacked high and more is always coming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts