AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got up this morning and there was nothing on the radar - by 10pm we have a full blow tropical storm bearing down on the Tx coast with Gaveston- Houston likkely taking a direct hit. A SHTF story in the making!

Gassed up, grabbed the usual hurricane rations of tinned beef/ravioli/water chees/tuna (stuff ya don't need power for) and got some cash.

Gun wise I'm okay - 1000+ rds for the AK with my G19/Sp 101 having some defensive loads, lots of .22LR, but will stock up a bit on some 9mm/.38spl.

Amazing how focused you get - all the fancy Internet discussions go out the window and you zero in on one thing and one thing only: "Which guns will go bang when I need them to." "Which guns will save my skin if it comes down to it." In the next 24-48 hrs police response time likely won't be the best.

Oh yeah - I seriously don't want to think about what gas prices will do if Houston takes a hit worse than Tropical Storm / Cat 1 status. :razz: I gassed up at $ 3.71/gal this evening.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I live in Lake Jackson. I stopped after work and topped off the tank. I NEVER top off and I didnt know about the storm at the time. I just topped off because I have a feeling the prices have bottomed out for the summer. I got 15 gallons in the 4x4 4-runner for $3.58/gallon. Looks like it will be a weak cat. 1 if it hits here tuesday. That wont be bad, we'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah

Hope your right. But if it strengthens to Cat 2 tommorrow afternoon then i'm going to have to seriously consider getting out of Dodge.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
When I was living in Florida I remember staying around for some Catergory 3/4. Worse thing I remember was waiting for gas. Fights actually broke out at the gas pumps..some people got pissed that others were fillling up there cars and extra tanks and gernerators and so on. It took weeks for the gas stations to get filled up again..oh ya and no power for about a 1 week..wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't the dead of summer and no a/c..

Stay safe... I think Katrina showed all of us a lesson.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have only left once, and wont again unless its a 5 or worse.
It was far more miseraable to leave, and be stuck in traffic
than to stay and hunker down. I have been thru many, and
its no picnic, but survivable if you plan ahead.

The only way to comfortably leave, is to go now way ahead of
most others. Trouble is, the accuracy isnt always spot on with
a fast mover like this seems to be.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD DISCUSSION NUMBER 5
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052008
1100 AM EDT MON AUG 04 2008

THE LAST RECONNAISSANCE FIX WAS AT 11Z...AND THE AIRCRAFT MEASURED
45 KT WINDS AT 850 MB OUTBOUND FROM THAT FIX. IT HAS BEEN AT LEAST
12 HOURS SINCE THE AIRCRAFT FOUND WINDS TO SUPPORT THE PREVIOUS
ADVISORY INTENSITY OF 45 KT...AND SO THE INTENSITY IS LOWERED TO 40
KT FOR THIS PACKAGE. SATELLITE AND RADAR OBSERVATIONS...HOWEVER...
INDICATE THAT THE CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH EDOUARD HAS BECOME A
LITTLE MORE SYMMETRIC OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS...WITH
CONVECTION...ALBEIT POORLY ORGANIZED...IN ALL QUADRANTS EXCEPT THE
NORTHWEST. THE GLOBAL MODELS ARE UNANIMOUS IN SUGGESTING THAT THE
UPPER-LEVEL FLOW OVER THE CYCLONE WILL BECOME LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY
OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS...A PATTERN MORE CONDUCIVE FOR
INTENSIFICATION. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS IN BEST AGREEMENT WITH
THE GFDL MODEL IN CALLING FOR EDOUARD TO BE NEAR HURRICANE STRENGTH
AT LANDFALL...ALTHOUGH THE REMAINING GUIDANCE IS LESS AGGRESSIVE.
BASED ON THE OFFICIAL FORECAST AND PAST FORECAST ERROR
CHARACTERISTICS...THERE IS ABOUT A 20 PERCENT CHANCE THAT EDOUARD
WILL BE A HURRICANE NEAR THE TIME OF LANDFALL.

THE INITIAL MOTION IS 270/7...AND THERE IS NO CHANGE IN THE TRACK
FORECAST REASONING. IT IS EXPECTED THAT EDOUARD WILL BEGIN TO MOVE
WEST-NORTHWESTWARD LATER TODAY AROUND THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF AN
AREA OF MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE SOUTH-CENTRAL
UNITED STATES. MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS VERY TIGHTLY CLUSTERED AND
THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS CLOSE TO THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND THE
DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 04/1500Z 28.2N 90.6W 40 KT
12HR VT 05/0000Z 28.4N 92.2W 50 KT
24HR VT 05/1200Z 29.1N 94.4W 60 KT
36HR VT 06/0000Z 29.7N 96.5W 40 KT...INLAND
48HR VT 06/1200Z 30.5N 98.5W 25 KT...INLAND
72HR VT 07/1200Z...DISSIPATED

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
We need another Camille to set people straight on hurricanes again...

Aproximately 25 residents of the Richleau apartments decided to
"Ride it out" and have a hurricane party when the storm hit with
~200 mph winds and a 24 foot storm surge.
I think only one survived.
Here is a before and after photo.
Thank god the pool survived...

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
we need the rain though so I'm looking forward to it.

good luck everyone.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I wouldn't ride that out if I was in an apartment. But if I was in a good house with solid foundation and real walls (brick, stone) and solid construction I would definitely stay.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Hurricane Camille. Recall that very well. I was about 90 miles away in Mobile Al. It was quite an experiance. I dont know that the image of
parties would have been prevalant with the gained knowlege and
warnings in place today. Waterfront communities have their own
emergency agencys that will issue evacuation orders in time for shelters to be utilized. Of course there are going to be people who decide not to.
Thankfully Katrina, Camille, et al are rare events.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
surf99 said:
Hurricane Camille. Recall that very well. I was about 90 miles away in Mobile Al. It was quite an experiance...

I was even further away from it than you and let me tell ya, that was a monster storm. I had been through numerous Hurricanes and have been through some since but nothing compared to the huge size and overall effect of Camille in any one I have ridden out. I have been through the eyes of a few cat 1 and 2's and through a Monster Typhoon in Japan. None fo them was as bad as what I saw in Camille while that far away from the center! The Typhoon was close. I was in the Fort Walton Beach area and the surf and rain and wind, even that far away, was like little else I had seen. Docks were washed out there that had lasted through many Hurricanes. And, again, that far away from the center. Camille was one of the largest in overall size (I am talking miles across) that has ever been recorded. I think it ranks second only to one no name storm from before records were kept. It doesn't hold the distinction of being number one for damage because it hit back then when there was a lot less built in that area. If it came through today it would easily beat any of them. That was a huge storm One of very few cat 5's to hit.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It was a terrible storm. But as for duration and intensity, Katrina was the worst I have been thru. I was 200 miles away, and we lost power for over almost 24 hours. Near hurricane force for 8 hours. I could not believe it. You could walk outside and birds would be all over your yard
just looking at you as if to say "I am so tired, please dont f*ck with me"
:smile:

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
surf99 said:
I have only left once, and wont again unless its a 5 or worse.
It was far more miseraable to leave, and be stuck in traffic
than to stay and hunker down. I have been thru many, and
its no picnic, but survivable if you plan ahead.

The only way to comfortably leave, is to go now way ahead of
most others. Trouble is, the accuracy isnt always spot on with
a fast mover like this seems to be.
+1

From this websitehttp://www.pbase.com/rickhodges/image/49697180 :

I'm in Houston. I went through Hurricane Alicia in 1983 and waded through flooded streets and houses to help relatives after Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. My sister and I chose not to leave during Rita, but the rest of our family bailed. By staying, we were able to watch over our parents and friends places and check in on elderly neighbors who stayed. We lost power for 5 days, fortunately that was it. I was pretty well prepared at the time. I'm much better prepared now. One improvement since then is I've added an economical diesel vehicle to my "fleet".

It was truly eerie being in a ghost city during Rita. Most gas stations were out of gasoline. Just prior to the evactuation the lines at the stores were insane. I shopped at the local Kroger at 3:00AM to avoid the lines. It was funny that the only Gatorade left was on the very top shelf where people of "lesser stature" couldn't see it. The empty store shelves and gas stations made an impression.

I took this pic while driving South on 610 West Loop to work in my brother's '68 Cougar on Wednesday 09/21/05, while the evacuation was still at its peak:

I took this one on the same route Thursday 09/22/05. Houston was starting to resemble the city in "The Omega Man". Note that the sign companies have taken down the ads.:

Both photos were taken at about 8:00 AM on weekdays when 610 is normally close to gridlock in both directions. Rita crossed the coast on 09/24/05 at 02:38 AM. I slept through the whole thing. I realize many in Texas and Louisiana were not so fortunate.

I should have driven around and photographed more but was busy with servers at work and concerned I wouldn't be able to replace the fuel I used for a while.

I may be wrong, but I think Houston is far enough away from the coast to be "safe enough" to "bug in". After the storm, the looters concern me more than the damage. Without electricity to air condition our homes, Houston is a mucky, hot, humid steam bath during our 6 month summer.

The real solution for me is to plan to live further North sometime in the future. For now I'll deal with the cards I've drawn.

If any of you in the area choose to leave, take the road less traveled. :wink:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This one "should" be a walk in the park. It popped up fast and close to shore so it hasn't had a lot of time to really strenthen (hopefully). The scary part is that my house has never flooded from a hurricane but tropical storms have kicked my ass 3 times...
79, 80 and 2001... :neutral:

"IF" it goes in at Galveston or Freeport then we would be on the dirty side of it and potentially get the most rain. So far it doesn't look like it's carrying but 4-6 inches of rain... In 2001, Allison dumped 30+ inches in less than 24 hours and I only ended up with 3" in the house. I should be able to handle anything less than 10-15 inches in a 24hr time frame without cause for concern. My main concern is that I'm in the process of an insureance claim from a roof leak 2 weeks ago. The wind driven rain may be an issue for me as I haven't received anything from the insurance yet so no repair has been made. I have it sort of rigged and have a bucket in my attic under the leaking area :neutral: ... That's the best I can do right now...

·
Registered
784 Posts
KyAKGuy said:
We need another Camille to set people straight on hurricanes again...

Aproximately 25 residents of the Richleau apartments decided to
"Ride it out" and have a hurricane party when the storm hit with
~200 mph winds and a 24 foot storm surge.
I think only one survived.
Here is a before and after photo.
Thank god the pool survived...

KyAKGuy

That was in Pass Christian MS, one can find the first hand story of the sole survivor, I believe that it was a woman who passed her husband's lifeless body while swimming to a tree to ride out the remainder of the storm. They did not attend the party.
I have only seen pics of camille (I was not born yet) but I saw and went through Katrina (and every hurricane that has hit Biloxi area since Frederick in '79), the eye went over Waveland, Bay St Louis, and I live to the east in Biloxi/Ocean Springs area. I can say that from the pics and what I personally witnessed Katrina was worse. Everyone keep in mind that New Orleans had only wind damage and a day or so later the levees flooded, not from the actual storm surge. The storm surge here (Biloxi area) reached around 27 feet in some places. But the pics of the aprtment is basically how everything on the beach area looked after Katrina

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Katrina completly eliminated several small towns in MS. Completely wiped them off the map. Not to mention the hundreds of rural homes inland that just vanishied. New Orleans got all the press because of the stupidity going on, and the fact it was a major city hit, but MS. got the worst of that deal by far.

·
Registered
784 Posts
surf99 said:
Katrina completly eliminated several small towns in MS. Completely wiped them off the map. Not to mention the hundreds of rural homes inland that just vanishied. New Orleans got all the press because of the stupidity going on, and the fact it was a major city hit, but MS. got the worst of that deal by far.
Like Waveland some of Bay St Louis and I cannot think of the little town to the east of Waveland up in the marsh area

---Remebered Lakeshore Ms

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
MPiKM-72 said:
If any of you in the area choose to leave, take the road less traveled.
Rita - We left Thursday afternoon at 5, biggest mistake I ever made. It was a 125 mile traffic jam to San Augustine (14hrs), then 70-80mph west to Palestine. Stayed away from home for a total of 2 weeks, city was a wreck for a week or so after that...and we were on the nice side of Rita. Buddy at the fire station downtown clocked winds of 126 for just over an hour on Sat morn.

sad note: Headed from Palestine to Houston, we stopped for rest and I took a smoke break near the dumpsters. You could smell the remains of family pets left during the evac north. We lost a cat due to an ongoin' illness but I still get a lump in my throat thinkin' of all the children that lost a friend to the heat etc during the exodus north... :sad:

Tx Dogblaster said:
This one "should" be a walk in the park. It popped up fast and close to shore so it hasn't had a lot of time to really strenthen (hopefully).

In 2001, Allison dumped 30+ inches in less than 24 hours and I only ended up with 3" in the house.
Allison - Never seen so much rain in my life. never!
How long did that b**ch hang around, seemed like a month? I think there was at least 2 weeks we didn't see sunshine. Couldn't make up her mind on what she wanted to do...ran around in circles just off Galveston, came onshore, went back offshore, came on again. Pretty bad when I-10 gets shut down due to floods, don't believe that's ever happened before.
She messed up a lot upcountry too, and the tremendous surge of freshwater comin' down the rivers killed any ideas of chasin' any redfish or specks in Sabine Lake.

Humberto - Went to bed happy that I had mowed the yard due to a lil rain headed our way from some thunderstorms near Galveston. Woke up 12hrs later and all hades had broken loose. Parts of town lost power for almost a week because of downed poles and trees tearin' up powerlines. Amazing that a storm that powerful could boil up outa nowhere like that.

t

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good luck, we have been getting it pretty easy here in Florida lately I'm in a new house and have been slacking on getting something to cover the windows with. I'll be one of "those" guys at Home Depot the day before the storm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts