AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I'd start my own thread on my progress of the construction of a replica RPG-2/B-40 launcher that i've been working on. Seven years ago when I bought my RPG-7 at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot, on another table was a B40 launcher for sale for 200 bucks, I had the money but for some stupid ass reason i didnt buy it and i've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. Years of trying to locate one with no sucess I decided to build myself a replica. When I saw CDNgunplumbers RPG-2 that spiked my interest again so I dropped him an email asking for measurements and he came through like a champ giving me all of them down to the millimeter. This is an ongoing project so I will post more pictures along the way. McM

This first picture, shows the brackets already installed on the launcher, I fabricated the attachment points three years ago when I originally started this project. The placement of the attachment points were copied from my RPG-7. The pistol grip assembly is in the same spot on both models.

These next pictures show the sight bases welded on, I will scan the templates I made for them later and post them to this thread, if there is interest. The red paint is red oxide primer to prevent rust of the bare metal spots, when i'm complete with the build i will sandblast, parkerize and paint the tube.

These next pictures show the sights that i made from 16 guage steel, once i had the templates done on paper i transfered them to the steel. Once cut out they were formed by heat, hammer, sweat and lots of cigarettes. The third picture shows the front sight which appears to be off but it is just cocked resting in the base.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Edited to add: Wow, that's gonna rock. Keep the updates coming.

Here's some pics I snagged, as well. And, sadly, none of these are mine.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that tool before its pretty slick, I dont think it would work for bending the sights though. You could make the first bend real nice with it but the second would be impossible. The bending of the metal wasnt all that hard, the hard part was cutting it out, filing, fitting and so on. If i had a Plasma cutter or a metal bandsaw it would have been a breeze and i could make 20 sights in an hour instead of one. To get a good even bend what i did was score/cut the line where it was to be bent and put it in the vise and hammered it into shape, for the other fold i did the same but it would only bend about 45 degrees because the vise was in the way. So what i did was take some half inch stock steel, put the stock into the vise and placed the sight on top of that piece of half inch steel, I then clamped it down with visegrips, took a mapp torch and heated the other side and slowly worked it into place with a pair of channel lock pliers. Once it was in its rough form I tweaked it with a brass hammer.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
That guy looks like he has a green "montly pad" on his head! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome pic StrumGrenadier.

I worked on it again tonight, I will show pics in greater detail this time. I worked on the sling attachment points, I didnt have any steel for the little bars so I used some scrap rectengular tubing I have. I still have a ways to go but its getting there slowly, I won an auction on gunbroker for the proper early pistol grip assembly with the flared side cover, so that should be comming soon. I still have some tweaking on the sights to do, find some of the pins that act as a hinge on the sights (does anyone know what there called, theres a pic up above that Eodinert posted). I need to cut out the range scale on the rear sight. I have the wood on order for the heat shields, I will be using Aircraft grade birch plywood similar to balsa for model airplanes. McM

It helps if you have one of these.

Its starting to look like the real deal :grin:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Thanks.....its actually one of my Afghan cache pics. B40 caches are/were huge there and one pic which I can't find at the moment shows one room stacked from floor to ceiling of nothing but B40 rounds.

Looking good MCM

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the weekend i got to work on the rear sight, It was a real PITA cutting out the range scale, If i only had a mill! I used the dremel as much as i could and did alot of work with various hand files. The lower scale on the sight i made a little to big, but i'm comfortable with the way it looks, its not exact but its close and looks real slick. I've put in 4+ hours just on the sights and bases alone. I still have to work on the heatshields the wood has not arrived yet. I'm going to use a piece of PVC pipe the same size of the tube as a mold to form the sheilds. I'm not familiar with model airplane wood as far as forming but i guess steam is the way to do it. I put a coat of black paint on the launcher just for kicks to see how its gonna look. McM

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
sweet jesus man! that looks awesome....looks better then even my real one

you da man!!!! :hail:

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I ever get a mill and a lathe I will sell this one and do it right. I think i could make an exact replica with those tools. The one thing thats off and somewhat noticible is the fact that the tube doesnt have the reinforcement rings at the muzzle, at the sling attachment points and at the rear most section of the tube. If i had a lathe i could turn down the whole pipe and leave those areas raised which would give the correct look. I still think it looks half way decent. Thanks for the Compliments Greg, but nothing beats the real thing for which i am envious of you.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This project has been on a standstill ever since the weather broke, summers are my busiest work season. I won an ebay auction for a Russian RPG-2 blast deflector and it arrived today. I had to modify it to fit the tube because my tube is a tad thicker than the original tube. The inner diameter is 40mm same as the real thing but the outer is a bit thicker, I used a 90 degree die grinder with a burr bit to open up the big nut on the deflector. I am going to perminately attach it with high strength epoxy, in the pictures its just sitting on the tube. The wood came for the heatshields but it was too thin so i sent it back and their sending some thicker stuff for me. All thats left is the heatshields, a cone pin (to hold the grip assembly) and refinish. Here's some more pics along with my RPG-7. Joe

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got the wood the other day, I soaked it in hot water for an hour then formed it around a piece of PVC pipe. Tonight I removed it from the PVC cut the notches for the front sight and installed it on the tube. I'm using zip ties to keep the form untill it completely dries. I'm going to paint the heatshields the same color as the grips, once thats done i will sandblast the whole launcher, put a coat of gunkote on it then i will "antique" the finish i think to give it some character. I'm pretty happy with the way its turned out so far. Sure beats the price of $1700.00 that one just sold on ebay :neutral:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts