AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SAM7SF from Arsenal and unfortunately, these rifles do not allow stock changes without serious modification to the rifle. I invested in a Leupold holo sight and because it sits so high, I have to chin weld. It's sitting as low as it can get (using a TWS dog-leg rail Gen3) but it's still a few inches too high. I want to use this as a duty rifle for my dept w/ SRT (Strategic Response Team) so a red dot is essentially mandatory as I will not be shooting at extended ranges and iron sights are too slow for rapid target acquisition. My question is this: anyone who has experience with a sidefolding stock, what is your recommendation for a cheek riser? It's gonna need to be substantial, secure, and not too bulky so I can maintain a side fold. Or am I going to have to go to a Micro-Dot for a cheek weld? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
AKs are pretty much chin weld. You can try the PK-06 red dot. It's small and sits lower....a little.

Optics are an afterthought on these rifles, and most legacy rifles. If you had a fixed stock you could swap out the stock for a ZenitCo with adjustable cheek riser but those things are like $300. Or there's also the skeleton stock with a folding cheek riser but none of them are going to be drop in plug and play.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
you don't need a cheek riser you need a better sight/mount that suits the rifle. ultimak type mount + red dot and you will be good low enough for proper cheeckweld. and it will even co-witness with iron sights.

View attachment 245901
Assuming you never take it off. But he's right about the mount. You want to play at the range get whatever you want. You want to use that as a cop then buy the right gear for the job. RS regulate makes a low side mount although I don't know how much lower it will be vs the TWS. And honestly a 6920 is a lot easier to mount a re dot onto and has a lot better ammo choices

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Welcome to the group!

I hate to say this, but I learned to shoot rifles without worrying about welding my cheek to the stock. One of my favorite shooters is an AMD-65 and there is no way you can get your cheek anywhere near the piece of wire used for a stock. Still one of my favorites. Guess I learned how to do it by shooting lots of pistols. ;)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
good point on having AR-15 instead of AK as a LEO. you want to have what works best for the purpose/situation/environment/setting and as a LEO in this country with an AK, milled one to boot, you will receive nothing but raised eyebrows at best. unless you are not in US - your user info is missing that part. anyways if you don't mind being unfolded all the time then there is another good option - Midwest side mount on QD and aimpoint red dot or alike clone.
that one is my personal favorite choice simply because i don't like my red dots too small or too far forward. I'd rather have more balanced setup with additional weight between two support points, not in front of them. with that being said my AK has stamped receiver that is far lighter than your milled one with that abomination of a stock that bulgarians cobbled together. this setup also works nice with cheek weld and also co-witnesses although on lower 1/3 and not absolute. which is fine for most things.
But yeah if i had to lug a rifle around as a duty weapon i would go with AR-15 = very solid platform and tons more customization with much more ease, beats AK in that respect always.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in the US (sorry havent updated my info yet) and the reason I dont run an AR-15 or a smaller caliber is the velocity of the rounds zipping through people at close range, especially if they are on drugs, has a very distinct possibility of not stopping them and requiring you to fire so many rounds at the subject that you get caught up in a bad lawsuit for excessive force. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation (but shotguns aren't ok either because some serious folk use body armor). I do like the ultimak rails, but theres so much weight on the front end, on extended standoffs I don't want fatigue to set in. I guess I'll have to either learn to live w/ a chin weld or check out the ultimak rail (and do some more work on my arms lol) thanks guys, appreciate the help and suggestions

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I am in the US (sorry havent updated my info yet) and the reason I dont run an AR-15 or a smaller caliber is the velocity of the rounds zipping through people at close range, especially if they are on drugs, has a very distinct possibility of not stopping them and requiring you to fire so many rounds at the subject that you get caught up in a bad lawsuit for excessive force. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation (but shotguns aren't ok either because some serious folk use body armor). I do like the ultimak rails, but theres so much weight on the front end, on extended standoffs I don't want fatigue to set in. I guess I'll have to either learn to live w/ a chin weld or check out the ultimak rail (and do some more work on my arms lol) thanks guys, appreciate the help and suggestions
Use quality SD ammo and you won't have that problem, or at least greatly minimized. And don't think that an AK is any better at close range. It's not. It'll "zip" just as fast and just as far and there's not a lot of quality ammo. Mostly inconsistent Eastern Europen ammo. One round may shoot a little high, one a little low, one charged more than the next....etc..

Modern SD 556/223 ammo is used to hunt hogs. It will work well on people but no worse then 7.62x39

Seriously though..... Hornady, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester, Black Hills, IMI OTM,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.