AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Arsenal SLR107FR (7.62x39) , and the rifle runs great all except with Wolf hollowpoints. Bought brand new from Atlantic, I have shot it twice. Both manufacturer 10 rd magazine and 30 rd Romanian steel mag fail to feed hollowpoints (the round seems to get stuck inside magazine), and I have only tried with Wolf.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Lots of people have issues with hollow point ammo. Its not a problem with your rifle or mags. The lighter wolf hollow points are shorter and obviously have a flat tip. I personally don't use wolf HP because it doesn't feed reliably.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Half of my rifles like them and the other half doesn't. That's a common issue everybody has, some rifles just dont like HP ammo. I have found that ALL my milled rifles eats them just fine and the issue is more with stamped rifles.

Ive never tried to make them work as it no big deal to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Half of my rifles like them and the other half doesn't. That's a common issue everybody has, some rifles just dont like HP ammo. I have found that ALL my milled rifles eats them just fine and the issue is more with stamped rifles.

Ive never tried to make them work as it no big deal to me.
is it true that if the barrel is chamfered a bit in the 6 o'clock position its done for HP feeding. My WASR has it and it shot the wolf just fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Kri, I have 2 AK's one feeds hp and the other doesn't. If your looking for an expanding bullet, try the Hornady with the SST bullet, other wise just stick with fmj.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate everyone's responses! Does anyone know the exact reason it could be a stamped receiver thing?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'm just going to subscribe to this thread for educational purposes. I've never heard of this, and my SLR-95 has never had an issue feeding HP ammo Wolf or Norinco. I have very little in the way of HP ammo in 7.62x39 anyway, and maybe the same in SPs. Have not tried it in the PAP M92. A lot of times what is available is what you buy...not knowing how it will actually perform in your firearm. Fact of life I guess....and the ammo economy.
I know some of the Wolf HP ammo is less expensive than some of the other FMJ or SP. IMO, if you're looking for performance (on game?) from the HPs, you might try the soft points instead. I've never actually researched the pros and cons of FMJ vs soft point vs HP for the 7.62. As far as I know FMJ isn't approved for game hunting anywhere in the US.
So far as the milled versus stamped receivers making any difference it could be a tolerance issue where the bullet guides are either riveted in or actually milled into the receiver. I've usually associated feeding issued with the magazines or followers for a vast number of firearms from pistols to rifles. If the cartridge is getting hung up in the magazine.....or the bolt running over the top of the next round, then the follower is not presenting the round correctly to the bolt face or the head never gets up under the extractor....so it gets pushed forward in the magazine until it hits the front of the magazine, and a hollow point bullet at that point is pretty much a flat nose projectile albeit a very small flat point with no center.
Another thing to possibly consider is differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. I seldom hear of standardized specifications on the AK. A couple thousandths here and there can make quite a difference with a semi auto, and a world of difference in a bolt action.
Me in your shoes? I'd actually give Arsenal a call and talk to technical department. They may very well have had similar questions about this before. Stamped versus milled and I would still think the specs are different somewhere down the line. Who knows? May even be different from Romanian to Bulgarian and plenty of others.
Be real interesting to find a definitive answer if there is one.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I appreciate everyone's responses! Does anyone know the exact reason it could be a stamped receiver thing?
Ive never really looked into it on why my milled AKs run HP and my stamped do not. I have a couple stamped that do feed HP but both of the ones that do are built off of milled profile guns. Chinese and bulgarian SSR85. Both milled and stamped have what appears to be the same shape bullet guide but without measuring them it's hard to say if they are identical. It could be mag fitment or height also.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
is it true that if the barrel is chamfered a bit in the 6 o'clock position its done for HP feeding. My WASR has it and it shot the wolf just fine.
That can work, but I personally wouldn't mess with the chamber, especially on a brand new rifle. HP feeding issues are not uncommon with AK's. Many just don't buy it at all, myself included. OP: sell what you have to someone with a rifle he knows will feed them reliably, or to someone who has an SKS. I've not had trouble with HP's in SKS's.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
avoid soft points even more they leave lead chunks in your eye,mag,trig group, chamber and action. hollow points and soft points were designed in 762x39 long after the ak was debugged and debugged again. only late 80s polish and some newer commie weapons ever had a chamber feedramp cut out for it and even then your walking on ice. theres wide and narrow of both sporting loads. avoid em all like the plague and stick with lacquered steel case or copper washed steel case fmj or fmjbt anything else is non milspec and goofy.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
even brass cased Yugo mil spec crap blows up guns with hollow point feedramps now cut into bottom of chamber. I know someone was gonna say what about my Yugo ammo I love it! nope try it in feedramp modified guns they blow the rim off and chamber has your stuck case if its cut for sporting loads. heads up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, the only reason I want HP'S the run good is because I want my rifle to be able to eat anything. Just in case there's nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I just avoid HP ammo altogether. Can't hunt with AKs anyway
I try too also. Only reason I had some is i got a 1000 rounds of HP in a trade deal with a rifle.

Even if we could hunt with it I wouldn't want too. They fragment like crazy!

Honestly, the only reason I want HP'S the run good is because I want my rifle to be able to eat anything. Just in case there's nothing else.
Well, I don't see 7.62 going anywhere or a SHTF situation starting anytime soon. If it bothers you about not having enough ammo then stock up. Buy 5000 rounds and you'll be good for awhile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That can work, but I personally wouldn't mess with the chamber, especially on a brand new rifle. HP feeding issues are not uncommon with AK's. Many just don't buy it at all, myself included. OP: sell what you have to someone with a rifle he knows will feed them reliably, or to someone who has an SKS. I've not had trouble with HP's in SKS's.

Mine came with it. I noticed after i shot and thats what my gunsmith said it was for, because hollow points are flat and get caught up unlike fmj. But i never found anywhere online that confirmed it. Ill try to post a pic, buts like a perfect little cut out where the bullet slides in. Some of the first ammo i shot was wolf now that I remember.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again I thank everyone for the input. I have only fired the rifle 2 sessions total, I feel that when it's completely broken in and if it still has issues with HP's, then I might take action with the help of a gunsmith. I'm not too worried, it's brand new and still needs plenty of stretching.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts