AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. I was wondering if any of you have experienced unexpected inconveniences or irritations from gaps in your preps.. something you overlooked or didn't think was important.

I got a couple fun ones... first my car battery finally gave up the ghost in this second arctic wave of bullshit...I didn't have a starter OR one of those automatic jump starter battery things that don't require another car. I work really close so walking there and back is something I've done before.

Then last night the furnace decided to stop working for whatever reason... I had the damn thing serviced last year...it was 60 this morning and now it's 50 in my house. I've got fire starters and duraflame logs...just one problem. I don't have a fireplace. I didn't think about having stand alone electric space heaters as a backup.

This year is off to a crappy start.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Car won't start, furnace is out, and in the middle of one bad winter and more coming soon. Sooo, how did you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?
Is the furnace guy on the way? Could be as simple as a thermo-coupler swap. Sorry for the bad run of luck, G
Can you isolate the kitchen with blankets and run your oven...electric oven?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Move to the south!

Water and food for me. I really don't have the space for a large supply of extra food, and never keep a large supply of bottled water around long enough, it usually ends up as beer. Never thought about an electric space heater though, it is pretty chilly down here in the soutH right now. I wouldn't call it dangerous by any means but would be nice to have a small one for one room!

i think a short term ticket item would be several bottles of propane and a gas grill/burner of some sort. My turkey cooker saved the day when we were out of power for a couple days, and having all electric stove etc it pulled duty as the stove.

Another thing that is nice to have is extra gasoline and a good size power inverter for your car to charge electronics/cell phones etc. it's a cheap alternative to a gas powered generator.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Coleman lanterns will put off a bit of heat. One more plus to an awesome lantern.

Raining for the first time in 6 weeks here in San Diego. Been high 70s, mid 80s for weeks!

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuck it's cold.. Fuck it's cold fuck it's cold fuck it's cold.

...alright enough of that.

Stepdad jump started the car and I limped it down to the service station... should know tomorrow what the damages are there.

Couldn't get ahold of the furnace people but left a message.. fingers crossed on that one.

Have a bigass pot of water boiling in the kitchen for warmth... so I moved the space heater into the hallway behind me.. the office feels a lot better now.

Heartbreakridge - propane stoves/ovens indoors can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
When youve got no heat use a single room with blankets separating the rooms to keep what little you may have inside the room. If your windows arent modern you can then plastic wrap them to keep the chill out. I have a friend that basically lives in a single room with a space heater in his three bedroom house to cut down on heat consumption and as you can imagine his bills are very low. With the tube and lights on its not that bad.

As for preps, I really want a generator as that would be super helpful when we lose power as its been rather gusty and the hood has quite a few old trees. We lost power for two days this last year and had to be very conservative about the fridge and what not. Stove is gas so no big deal, had to use a match to light it. Cold house is a good time to use sleeping bags and enjoy bowls of chili.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Fuck it's cold.. Fuck it's cold fuck it's cold fuck it's cold.

...alright enough of that.

Stepdad jump started the car and I limped it down to the service station... should know tomorrow what the damages are there.

Couldn't get ahold of the furnace people but left a message.. fingers crossed on that one.

Have a bigass pot of water boiling in the kitchen for warmth... so I moved the space heater into the hallway behind me.. the office feels a lot better now.

Heartbreakridge - propane stoves/ovens indoors can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Dont use it inside lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont use it inside lol :rolleyes:
The problem with the current situation is that, while it's 50 something inside (63 in the office, yay spaceheater), it's 34 something outside.

I've got firewood and shit for a scenario where I'd be outside, but I had no provisions for furnace failure.

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damage Report update.

Got the car back from the shop. Turns out the positive terminal was bad.. not something that usually happens with a newer car but hey my luck is FANTASTIC... and really this is the first issue I had with it in 3 years so I can't complain.

Between the utter shitfest winter and the bad terminal.. the battery was indeed dead.

$189 to fix

Not too bad all things considered. The real treat is going to be the furnace.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Fortunately I don't have to worry about super cold conditions.
Having a steady supply of clean water is the gaping hole in my preps due to lack of space and no "close by" body of water.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Damage Report update.

Got the car back from the shop. Turns out the positive terminal was bad.. not something that usually happens with a newer car but hey my luck is FANTASTIC... and really this is the first issue I had with it in 3 years so I can't complain.

Between the utter shitfest winter and the bad terminal.. the battery was indeed dead.

$189 to fix

Not too bad all things considered. The real treat is going to be the furnace.

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay the final results are in for ****STORM 2014

Called the furnace people today and they got someone out within the hour so kudos for them.. The guy was able to fix it in short order and there's warm air circulating through the house as I type.

$158 for the ignitor and the service call.

That could have gone MUCH worse... but at least now I know to keep an eye out for battery powered heat sources or at least buy some high output devices when they go on sale... same thing with a spare car battery charger/jumper thingamabob.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Okay the final results are in for ****STORM 2014

Called the furnace people today and they got someone out within the hour so kudos for them.. The guy was able to fix it in short order and there's warm air circulating through the house as I type.

$158 for the ignitor and the service call.

That could have gone MUCH worse... but at least now I know to keep an eye out for battery powered heat sources or at least buy some high output devices when they go on sale... same thing with a spare car battery charger/jumper thingamabob.
....just in time for the next storm...cutting it close...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The worst part about the cold house was when I had to dump my ass...

it never got cold enough to fear my buttcheeks freezing to the seat but it wasn't superhappyfuntime either.

Traaks - yeah don't remind me... ice mixed in with snow = people are going to lose their ever loving minds even worse than usual. At least it's not the 10-12" they were calling for earlier apparently.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
3 to 5 inches coming here in next 24 and the same for Thursday into Friday. Battery and furnace working....for now...:neutral:

A blow-dryer will heat that cold seat...wife taught me that one...lol
She still had a cold heart...:p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well I live close to other people. If SHTF people leave many cars behind. Those batteries will be borrowed for my solar charger :D

My biggest down fall is location, Im too close in. After that I would say medical knowledge, need to get a few books atleast (also little sis is about to start nursing school) then gas/fuel storage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts