AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just noticing that my new Polytech Type 56 has an obvious flaw; the front sight has a slight cant to the left!!

The same thing on my SSR-85C-2, which is made in Bulgaria! Hmmm...

Is this an often found problem with most AKs? I know the Romanian built AKMs are notorious for this particular "error."

My Gordon Tech SLR-100H is "spot on" as well as my Arsenal SA M-7 Carbine. Anyone have a similar observation?

Bud

·
Registered
100 Posts
It has been my experience that all AK's may have some cant to them, it's just that certain manufacturers/builders (Century, Romania, etc.) have a bigger habit of lacking quality control when they build, so their builds are more likely to have cant.

It's not hard to build an AK with a cant to it, the alignment of fsb, gb, to trunion/rsb is a craft that requires attention and quality control.

AK's that I've found fsb/gb cant on:

Maadi's
Romanians
Chinese
Hungarian
Bulgarian (yes I've seen an Arsenal with slight cant, stamped rifle, they took it back and fixed it right away though)
Krebs (same as Arsenal, slight cant, taken back and fixed ASAP)

It's just pot luck with the cant thing, one guy has a bad day at work and wammo, slight cant.

Yes, some are just notorious for it, some are less likely, but all have the possibility.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
freerangeYODA said:
maybe i shouldnt comment :sad:

i dont know . i'll think about it :neutral:
By all means...share your thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Canted Front Sights happen......although I can't recall ever seeing one on a Chinese AK.............unless it has been worked on.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Krinkfreak said:
Canted Front Sights happen......although I can't recall ever seeing one on a Chinese AK.............unless it has been worked on.
Thats what I was thinking too,I've had several Chinese AKs and have'nt seen the first one with a canted FSB.But,its highly possible someone may have changed it out at one time or another and did'nt get it straight.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well , while i'm sure many canted sites are due to bad workmanship , i cant say all of them are , just the ones that cant to the left (looking from the shooters end that is )

if you look at the original 762x39 ArsenalBulgaria SA models , look at the rearsite base top , you'll notice something , although they are on straight , the TOP of it is tilted to the rightside . and all the FSBs tilt to the right also . so , holding the weapon properly with the frontsite straight up/down tilts the WEAPON slightly to the left .

you see , the locking lug arrangement on an AK47 bolt causes the barrel to flex , when struck by force from the gasblock , from slightly low-left to slightly high-right , not perfectly straight up/down . tilting the whole weapon slightly left alieviates most of this L/R deflextion moving it on to the up/down centerline .

at least , thats a part of my THEORY with some of the STATE SECRET lingo that came in the box with the SA-93 .

i dont think thats any help to the original poster with a left-tilted FSB polytec tho ...

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
My Poly (AKS-762 w/spike bayo) has no cant to it at all, unless I am super blind or something.

I think the Polytechs with spike bayos have higher tolerances regarding cants, because the front sight block also holds the bayo mount, and if the front sight is canted then the bayo mount will be canted and the bayo won't lock in the fixed position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My NIB unfired Mak 90 shot 4 " to the left at 25 meters with the adjustment all the way to the left, it was a real Bear to budge the sight tower on rthis particular rifle also, but it does group exceptionally well. :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts