AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the fortune to purchase an HK91 .22 LR conversion kit with 3 magazines that was made for the US civilian market. It is dated in the mid’1970’s.

You may not be aware that the HK military kits on the market need a spacer to be fabricated in order to trust them to function correctly. Without the spacer the hammer gets locked up somehow. The military kits cost close to $600 in recent history. This civilian market kit has a spacer factory welded to the bolt carrier to prevent the unintended lockup.

What I wanted this for was for more trigger time with my HK and FMP rifles.

Recently I was at a friend’s ranch and got to try out the HK kit in my FMP rifle.

The kit includes a barrel insert, bolt and bolt carrier assembly, two magazines and a cleaning kit.

The mags are real steel HK mags that have a .22LR mechanism riveted in place. They even feel like they have been weighted to similate a 7.62 NATO filled magazine.

I was surprised to learn the mags hold 20 rounds. I expected them to only hold 10 rounds. I haven’t figured out how to disassemble the mags for cleaning – the floorplate retainer on the one I tried won’t budge.

The barrel insert is a quality piece.

The flat top of the chamber insert is intended to go toward the top of the receiver when installed. A spring steel ring holds the insert in the receiver.

The bolt carrier only cycles back when the operator charges the rifle. The round .22LR bolt cycles fires and ejects the rounds. The standard fire control group works with this and lets you experience the same trigger break and reset you have when shooting centerfire.

There is an ejection port in the bolt carrier. Sorry for the photo angle, I couldn’t view my screen in the bright sunlight and aim the camera where I wanted.

I used CCI Blazer RNL for this test. I stocked up on it about 8 years ago.

I was alone at this range, so no photos of me shooting.

The reliability of this kit was unbelievable. This thing pumps out round after round.

The accuracy was a little disappointing. I was hoping I could use this for Appleseed marksmanship drills. The best group I got at 25 meters was 8 MOA (2”). I imagine the .22LR insert bounces around a little inside the .308 bore.

The rifle equipped with this kit is perfect for other drills. I got behind cover and fired at several man size steels from 25 to 75 meters, firing and transitioning as fast as I could. Out of 40 shots fired from two 20 round mags I missed only once.

The only malfunction was when I left a mag filled with 20 rounds to sit for about two hours while I worked on some other things. At one point the 13th and 14th rounds had trouble coming up inside the magazine and bolt closed twice on an empty chamber. I filled the mag once more and it functioned fine.

I was leery of spending a lot of coin on this as .22 LR conversion kits often don’t deliver the reliability I would prefer. In this case I’m very satisfied with this kit’s reliability.

Overall I’m very happy I bought this kit. I blew through 200 rounds before I knew it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have one sitting in the closet, but never ended up getting the rifle to go with it.
Some vendors claimed these would work in CETME rifles but that is not correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a great review. I have one also I have never used. So I have two questions.
1. What spacer needs to be fabricated in order to trust them to function correctly?
What did you fabricate and how, or where did you get it.
2. Could you please scan a copy of that diagram you have and post it or PM to me? Mine is missing.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Great Post. I've often looked at the military conversion kits... but wondered how they ran... and also shuddered at the price tag.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is a great review. I have one also I have never used. So I have two questions.
1. What spacer needs to be fabricated in order to trust them to function correctly?
What did you fabricate and how, or where did you get it.
2. Could you please scan a copy of that diagram you have and post it or PM to me? Mine is missing.
Thank you.
1. My .22LR kit required no fabrication. It was imported by HK specifically for the US civilian semi-auto market - they are pretty uncommon. The kit is dated in the 1970's so I presume that was when it was imported. My HK91 is also a mid 1970's so it made sense.

There is a piece of tubular steel about 2" long factory welded to the buffer side of the bolt carrier on mine. The image isn't of mine, but it is the same type.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The military model .22LR conversions do not have this extension.

I have read about people using 2" of rubber fuel hose to mimic its function. I imagine any tubular material that will slide over the recoil spring will work.

As I understand the hammer on the full auto models sits lower than the semi-auto models. The military kit when used with a semi-auto will get caught on the semi-auto hammer. The spacer is added to keep the bolt carrier from traveling past the hammer and prevents the hammer from locking the bolt back - that is the only reason the spacer is needed. I hope that makes sense.

2. The diagram is just a photocopied page of a manual in English. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it. My kit is missing the actual diagram that goes in the slot in the lid of the kit case.

Here is what should be in the lid of the case (English version - there is a German version as well)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a military .22 adapter kit that is the same as above photos. I have never had a misfire or jam in about 1000 rounds. I received a “sniper” trigger with HK-91 that is very smooth with 7.62x51 mm but it will not work with the .22 LR kit. I mentioned this to an [email protected] dealer and said that they just do not.

I would take to range and put 100 rounds of .22LR IN Chuck Taylor/Jeff Cooper drills on 3x5” cards at 25 m. Then I would pull out .22 sleeve, replace trigger groups and practice with 20 rounds of 7.62x51 mm on a 6” paper plate at 100 m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts