AK Rifles banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Burpy Turtle said:
Ebay's new feedback policy holds sellers hostage to unethical buyers. I hope you didn't leave him positive feedback just because he paid quickly.
Don't even get me started.

As a longtime seller (since '98) the new policy is ridiculous.

Never leave feedback for a buyer until he/she has stated in an email that they are satisfied with the transaction or has left positive feedback for you.

That has kept a pile of :bullshit: or two from happening to me.

Feedback is your best leverage in a deal, though it only works if the other person has something to lose from negative feedback.

PS - ebay sucks (now). Use it as a last resort.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago - I sold a set of electric guitar pickups to a guy in Vancouver BC for something like 95 dollars. He emailed me a few weeks later and said he had to pay $45 or so more in customs fees and wanted me to reimburse him for it. I told him I was sorry he had to pay it, but he should have checked that out before the auction closed and adjusted his bid accordingly. Told him that it wasn't my responsibility if his govt. made him pay extra taxes before they would release the package to him.

Is the buyer new to ebay? I find it hard to believe a citizen of Canada who has used ebay for any period of time wouldn't have any clue beforehand that there might be import fees/tariffs on merchandise coming in from another country.

Things like this are why I cancelled my ebay account.

yadaddy said:
You're lucky he's honest enough to try to deal with you on it.

I have 200+ positives and no negatives/nuetrals from 9 years of ebaying.

The only bad experiences I have ever had, have been with deals to Canada. After getting burned three times by Canucks, I no longer sell outside the US.

One notable bad sale was an electronic keyboard sent to the Great White North. I was having trouble selling it and decided to go with the Canadian buyer, despite my better judgement.
It was worth about 300 bucks and I did as instructed by the buyer for shipping.
About 6 weeks after shipping via fedex, I got a letter notifying me that I owed 90 bucks for a tariff that the recipient had not paid.
Long story short after 3 unanswered emails to the buyer and about 6 months of hounding and threats by Fedex, I paid the 90 dollars. Turns out I agreed to pay any outstanding fees when I signed under the fine print.
The thing that really irked me, was that Fedex sent one letter to the Canuck requesting payment of the tariff, which he conveniently ignored.
Then they proceeded to spend a great effort chasing me for months.

Nice.

Since them I have gained some experience and if you send something to a Canuck, call it a gift and value it at $50 or less - then no worries.

Like I said. You're fortunate that your buyer is honest enough to try and work it out and not just stick you with the bill. I wish mine had been the same.
If he is being cool about this, it might be a good idea to throw him a bone of some sort and call it a learning experience for both of you.

Take it from me, losing 90 dollars on a 300 dollar sale is pretty tough lesson.
Fed Ex has done the same to me before. They come after YOU when the Canuck doesn't cough up the duties fees.

Solution: Never ship to Canada with Fed Ex, only US Post.

just send it tied to a moose or something. thats the official postal service of canada, right? :mrgreen:

in seriousness, id tell him to pound sand, in a nice, take it up the butt but with lube way.

I shipped a $2500 vintage electronic watch to Germany to a collector. He wanted me to put the value as thirty bucks, because of the outrageous import duties and fees.

I said sure... as long as he first sent me a signed, notarized statement that HE was requesting that the value of the item be placed at $30, and that from that point on HE was responsible for any loss, damage, fees, taxes, penalties, and that HE would accept delivery of the item with no inspection, nor would HE ask for any refund/replacement at any time, for any reason.

He sent the paper I requested, and the shipment went on without a hitch.

BTW, I didn't go thru PayPal for this either.

There was too much of a chance that the buyer could back out of the deal for some reason, my watch would wind up on some German customs officials wrist, and PayPal would then retrieve the payment he sent to me.

It took longer, but I got the buyer to send me a certified bank draft.

Once I had the cold hard cash in my hand, the shipment went to it's new home. Everything went like it was supposed to, but I definitely tried to cover my butt every way I possibly could.

-urban

skyugo said:
ok.. sold the dude a bicycle suspension fork for 260 bucks.
i put the value at 300 for insurance and for customs.

here's what he wrote me upon pickup:

"i got the fork today. i had to pay $92.13 for brokerage fee and taxes. because you put value at $300 they flagged it to pay taxes. if you put the value low then its not worth it for them to charge. you should have sent it through US post, all couriers will charge fees. i would like to be reimbursed for this amount."

winey fucker. :roll:
Did this guy originally ask you to put the amount as something low or did he say this after you sent it and he recieved it?

If so then its completely on him and I wouldn't pay anything.

If he asked you to falsify the shipping document prior, thereby breaking/bending the law, then its still on him and I wouldn't pay anything.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Kisara said:
Here's what you do:

Tell him you will reimburse him in full if he first leaves you positive feedback on Ebay. Get the feedback you deserve! Then do nothing; Don't send a dime.

oh damn girl, that's cold :grin:

a bit late though.. i already told him to pound sand.

fuck ebay anyway...
can i sell a thule roofrack on gunbroker? :goof:

Kisara said:
Here's what you do:

Tell him you will reimburse him in full if he first leaves you positive feedback on Ebay. Get the feedback you deserve! Then do nothing; Don't send a dime.
I like it. !

:grin:

With the dollar in the toilet as it is I have more and more folks from outside the USA wanting the upholstery I build.

So far in my personal experience only the Canadians want to cheat on import duties. Folks in the UK, Germany, Italy and Australia just pay the fees due them.
I have a standard answer. The customs paperwork will get marked with it's real value. What they paid for it. This is my business and livelihood for my family. If they want what I build, they can pay for it. I sure as Hell are not going to become party to their petty scams. And I only ship USPS insured.

I have relatives in the FBI. That's all I need is my brother in law out front in his black Suburban on a loudspeaker yelling "Hey Man! You really screwed up this time!". :roll:

You either have integrity or you don't. Even on seemingly little stuff you need to play it straight. I've lived long enough now to see things come back around and bite folks in the ass. I try to learn from their "good" bad example. :grin:

neg. feedback wont kill you...... dont give that guy jack shit.

Canada

I never ship anything to Canada, that's worth more than 10-15 Dollars, to ME.
If the "Dumb Ass" happened to pay more than that for the item, he wasn't too smart.
I've never had any proublems with this approach. :smile:

Years ago I sold some paperwork to a boy in Canada. $600.00. He wanted it insured. So I insured it for the 6. It cost him $237.00 at customs. He wined to me. I pointed out that I did exactyally as he wanted. That was the end of the story.

The Canuks are always trying to get over. :roll:

I've sent several things to Japan. Now those boys are honest, in my opinion. I had one guy send me $450.00 in CASH for a reel ( Fishing) I was selling. Talk about trust :hail:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.