AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. sold the dude a bicycle suspension fork for 260 bucks.
i put the value at 300 for insurance and for customs.

here's what he wrote me upon pickup:

"i got the fork today. i had to pay $92.13 for brokerage fee and taxes. because you put value at $300 they flagged it to pay taxes. if you put the value low then its not worth it for them to charge. you should have sent it through US post, all couriers will charge fees. i would like to be reimbursed for this amount."

now had i put the customs value below the insurance value-wouldn't that have raised flags. god forbid the damn thing gets lost then he'll want all his money back :roll:

say i'd put the value at 100 bucks. what would the charge be then? looks like you're gonna end up paying something either way....

i'm thinking i might try and split the difference with him. give him 45 back.
winey fucker. :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally wouldn't give him shit. He bought from a foreign country. Bottom line. He should have known it was gonna cost him in customs. If he wanted to play a little game of bullshit with the value of it, that should have been stated before the end of the auction.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
BS, inform him that he made a legal and binding purchase of the item, you followed the law and accurately declared item value. Inform him that he is responsible for funding legal import obligations, not you.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Let me get this straight, he wanted you to lie on a customs declration so he would not have to pay the importation tax??

You owe him nothing. If he did not want to pay the customs fees he should have bought one made in Canada...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
phreakmode said:
BS, inform him that he made a legal and binding purchase of the item, you followed the law and accurately declared item value. Inform him that he is responsible for funding legal import obligations, not you.
+1

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Don't give him ANYTHING. That would be like me asking you to pay my work taxes for me. Sorry... HE bought it, HE knew of it, and now he is complaining because you played by the rules.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I have shipped many things to Canada. Usually the buyer will let me know before hand to make sure I list the value low..as so they won't have to pay too much tax on it. The guy should have told you his request before you shipped...then maybe you guy's could have worked something out.

Personally I would try to come to a understanding that your comfortable with. That is my 02cents.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You're lucky he's honest enough to try to deal with you on it.

I have 200+ positives and no negatives/nuetrals from 9 years of ebaying.

The only bad experiences I have ever had, have been with deals to Canada. After getting burned three times by Canucks, I no longer sell outside the US.

One notable bad sale was an electronic keyboard sent to the Great White North. I was having trouble selling it and decided to go with the Canadian buyer, despite my better judgement.
It was worth about 300 bucks and I did as instructed by the buyer for shipping.
About 6 weeks after shipping via fedex, I got a letter notifying me that I owed 90 bucks for a tariff that the recipient had not paid.
Long story short after 3 unanswered emails to the buyer and about 6 months of hounding and threats by Fedex, I paid the 90 dollars. Turns out I agreed to pay any outstanding fees when I signed under the fine print.
The thing that really irked me, was that Fedex sent one letter to the Canuck requesting payment of the tariff, which he conveniently ignored.
Then they proceeded to spend a great effort chasing me for months.

Nice.

Since them I have gained some experience and if you send something to a Canuck, call it a gift and value it at $50 or less - then no worries.

Like I said. You're fortunate that your buyer is honest enough to try and work it out and not just stick you with the bill. I wish mine had been the same.
If he is being cool about this, it might be a good idea to throw him a bone of some sort and call it a learning experience for both of you.

Take it from me, losing 90 dollars on a 300 dollar sale is pretty tough lesson.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Did the buyer tell you to put the value low on the custom's forms?
If he did then you indeed owe him a refund.
In the past I have shipped Polish Stock sets around the world (yeah believe it or not but I have even sold and ship one BACK to Poland before :lol: )

If he did not tell you to place the value low, then you don't owe him anything.
Think of this, his bid was based on NOT paying duty on the item.
If he was going to pay duty, he would of bid less.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
DrugRunR said:
Did the buyer tell you to put the value low on the custom's forms?
If he did then you indeed owe him a refund.
In the past I have shipped Polish Stock sets around the world (yeah believe it or not but I have even sold and ship one BACK to Poland before :lol: )

If he did not tell you to place the value low, then you don't owe him anything.
Think of this, his bid was based on NOT paying duty on the item.
If he was going to pay duty, he would of bid less.
I totally disagree that he owes they buyer anything. skyugo did the ethical thing and declared true value.

Problem is that Ebay's new feedback setup will now hold him hostage to bad feedback as you can not give it to buyers but only the sellers.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
but this is the question.....

What is the TRUE VALUE of a item?
Have you ever paid more for a item then it was worth??
In a auction situation, it is possible to sell a item for more then it is truly worth. As in 'BLUE BOOK' value vs actual value.

Example, small cars that get high MPG are currently selling for more then their 'BLUE BOOK' value, while gas hogs like my wife's tahoe are selling for less then their 'BLUE BOOK' value.

Bottom line is EBAY sucks ass and if you don't give the seller something he will leave neg feedback and there isn't anything you can do.
I suppose you can leave Neutral feedback as a seller (haven't tried it) and then make a comment concerning the issue

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
DrugRunR said:
but this is the question.....

What is the TRUE VALUE of a item?
Have you ever paid more for a item then it was worth??
In a auction situation, it is possible to sell a item for more then it is truly worth. As in 'BLUE BOOK' value vs actual value.

Example, small cars that get high MPG are currently selling for more then their 'BLUE BOOK' value, while gas hogs like my wife's tahoe are selling for less then their 'BLUE BOOK' value.

Bottom line is EBAY sucks ass and if you don't give the seller something he will leave neg feedback and there isn't anything you can do.
I suppose you can leave Neutral feedback as a seller (haven't tried it) and then make a comment concerning the issue
The true value is exactly what the purchaser paid for it. The Ebay final bid is a binding contract on the price. If the purchaser did not want to pay that much for the item or pay the tarriff fees, he should not have bid that high.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I always put in my shipping info section tht true market value will be put on all customs forms.
If they don't like it they can buy from someone else.

I don't think under ebays new system that he can leave you neg. feedback for this. You delivered the item as instructed

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
BrianWV said:
I always put in my shipping info section tht true market value will be put on all customs forms.

I don't think under ebays new system that he can leave you neg. feedback for this. You delivered the item as instructed
you shouldn't have to declare that you will obey the law :cool:

·
Registered
970 Posts
phreakmode said:
BrianWV said:

you shouldn't have to declare that you will obey the law :cool:
No, you really should not, but you would be amazed at the number of people who ask you to break it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
sKott said:
Let me get this straight, he wanted you to lie on a customs declration so he would not have to pay the importation tax??

You owe him nothing. If he did not want to pay the customs fees he should have bought one made in Canada...

Hell yeah.. we get everyone to lie on the forms...

If all goes well, those fuckers in Montreal don't steal it.... Montreal customs workers are a bunch of thieving peter puffers!

{/ we now return to our regular discussion...

:wink:

Don't send the guy anything, you filled out the form correctly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ebay's new feedback policy holds sellers hostage to unethical buyers. I hope you didn't leave him positive feedback just because he paid quickly.

The buyer was well aware that he would be responsible for any tariffs or duties on his international transaction.

It is not the seller's responsibility to pay the buyer's taxes, tariffs, duties, and fees.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts